Bethesda announce all-new “space epic” Starfield

Bethesda Game Studios, the folks behind The Elder Scrolls and the new Fallouts, today announced a mysterious new game named Starfield – “our first wholly original franchise in 25 years”, according to studio director Todd Howard. He called it a “next-generation singleplayer game” but, beyond that, didn’t reveal anything concrete. This is a game that’s a fair way out, something we won’t even see for a fair while, let alone play. But I can tell you for certain: space is involved. Watch the announcement teaser trailer below.

Space!

With Bethesda making Fallout 76 a multiplayer survival game, it is good to hear that they’re still doing singleplayer. I always grow bored with Bethesda’s RPGs (I assume this is another open-world RPG? it’s kinda their thing) but do enjoy meandering around and getting into scrapes before it all becomes too repetitive. I’m up for repeating that in space.

Howard said Starfield is “a game we have spent years thinking about and working on, something we feel uniquely positioned to pull off and that we’re incredibly excited about.” And that’s that.

But after Starfield, in the distant, distant future? The Elder Scrolls VI.

Check out our E3 2018 tag for more announcements, trailers, news, and goodness knows what else.

1. brucethemoose says:

Dang, those are some skinny teasers.

2H 2020 for Starfield, maybe?

They mentioned having multiple studios now, but that probably means one will just be tied down with FO76. So TES6 is a LOOOOONG way off.

2. Ejia says:

The space game I’ve always wanted is an open world like Bethesda’s Fallouts, but with a retrofuture 80s theme instead of post-apoc 50s Americana.

• mlj11 says:

So, like an open-world The Jetsons?

• Amstrad says:

I want the retrofuture we saw in movies like Alien. That dingy used aesthetic that was a bit more modern and grounded looking that what we got from Star Wars.

• modzero says:

Oh god yes. The starting location in Alien: Isolation was so gorgeous. I’ve spent a ridiculous amount in there, and was really disappointed when it was time to actually go and play the proper game, which was decent, but it wasn’t as decent as hanging out on a proper Nostromo for a while.

Someone should give the Alien license to SCS Software.

• Shiloh says:

I want a modern day Traveller-style RPG space game – like Pillars of Eternity but set in SPACE! with all the stats, multiple quests and lots of dialogue choices etc.

3. geldonyetich says:

Nice to see a Sci-Fi setting coming out of Bethesda that isn’t post-apocalyptic. But I’m curious what kind of gameplay we’re looking at here.

Maybe Elite: Dangerous with spacelegs? I’d love that, provided the gameplay is solid. Space combat as rich as Freespace and on-foot combat as good as Destiny’s? Or maybe I could try setting the bar fairly.

I have a morbid curiosity to know what Braben was thinking when he saw that reveal, complete with a legally-distinct-from-Coriolis space station.

• brucethemoose says:

Combat has never been Bethesda’s strong suit.

I’m more concerned with the world being interesting enough to explore.

• Janichsan says:

Combat has never been Bethesda’s strong suit.

…along with good writing, lifelike NPCs, and bearable voice acting.

• Shinard says:

I mean… I can’t disagree? But their games are still some of my all time favourites. It’s odd, I can’t quite describe what it is but… no, I know what it is. There are no other games out there, that I can think of at least, that let you explore such detailed (relative to other open worlds) worlds with the same degree of character freedom and flexibility (Witcher 3 is great, and being stuck as Geralt isn’t a bad thing given what a great character he is, but it is a design decision that locks off some possibilities). They absolutely nail the fantasy of being a hero setting off on a quest, or a wanderer walking the dusty road and dealing with trouble on the way. Yeah, they’re simplistic, especially after Morrowind, but they know exactly what itch they’re trying to scratch, and they scratch it sooooo well.

4. Risingson says:

Probably another sandbox with survival and crafting and microtransactions to get better ships and an emphasis on buying bases with a very thin single player campaign if there is at all that consists of long in universe travels that take most of the game play.

Please please prove me wrong.

• Shinard says:

I’d be a little more optimistic towards Bethesda. At least from the microtransactions front – unless you count horse armour, I can’t think of any of their games that have had them.

5. BobbyDylan says:

I’m always keen on another space game.

6. Cinek says:

He called it a “next-generation singleplayer game”

There already is one, and it’s not from Bethesda with their linear quests and even linear locations (caves from Skyrim say hello). The Witcher 3 is a pioneer, Cyberpunk will bear the torch, but hopefully, others will join (Squadron 42 plans to, but god knows when, or if, they’ll release something).

7. Sandepande says:

Probably needs a new engine for that.

• Janichsan says:

Nah. They can squeeze at least another 10 years out of Gamebryo engine.

• ancipital says:

They already moved on, to an extent.. sort of:

link to en.wikipedia.org

• Carr0t says:

It is still just a fork of Gamebryo with modifications though. And they still all look the same, and have the same janky animations. Fallout 4 went some way to improving that, but it still felt like the same engine and that’s not a good thing.

I really wish they’d just ditch it and bring something new that doesn’t look like bad stop-motion. The animations in the Fallout 76 trailer looked OK, but then I remember thinking the same thing about Fallout 4 when I saw the first trailers for that…

• Daymare says:

For me it’s like, Bethesda Fallout and Elder Scrolls games look okay when they come out, sometimes even very pretty, they just sorta … age worse than any other game out there. Basically when I’m through with their campaigns, yes they look much better than their predecessors, but still … notably dated. Wonky. Kinda stylized, but not in a very good way. Especially the animations.

8. Peppergomez says:

knowing bethesda, it won’t be truly playable until the modding community has had like a year to patch and refine it

9. ObiDamnKenobi says:

Elder scrolls with guns
    Fallout with swords
    So this is Fallout with spaceships? Elder scrolls with lasers?

10. Zenicetus says:

Well, it has the magic word singleplayer, so I’m interested.

I just hope that if there is a spaceship involved, we actually get to fly the damned thing instead of being just a passive hub for missions, like the Normandy in Mass Effect.

11. lglethal says:

Am i the only one who when the guy says its there first wholly original property in 25 years, thought that that REALLY isnt something you should be proud of?

12. Shinard says:

Well, that’s… erm… definitely space. I mean, I like space, and I like Bethesda, and I’m glad something new will exist, but… eh. I hope the aesthetic, whenever it’s actually revealed, ends up being as unique as Morrowind’s insectile cities and living gods, or Fallout’s retro-future with dark humour, somehow

Comment on this story