Cyberpunk 2077’s trailer hides some good news

Character creation, DRM, free DLC, and where the heck Cyberpunk 2077 has been are among the topics discussed in a secret message in the new trailer for CD Projekt Red’s RPG. While I was distracted by haircuts and robots, those cyberpunks who fight against injustice and corruption every day of their lives were scanning the video for clues and combining ‘glitched’ frames to reveal a hidden message. The news is good!

CD Projekt Red’s statement in full reads:

It’s been over 2077 days since we announced our plan to develop Cyberpunk 2077. We released a CGI trailer, gave some interviews and… went dark. Normal procedure for these kinds of things – you announce a game and then shut up, roll up your sleeves, and go to work. We wanted to give you The Witcher 3 and both expansions first, which is why this period of staying silent was longer than we planned. Sorry for that.

As soon as we concluded work on Blood and Wine, we were able to go full speed ahead with CP2077’s pre-production. But we chose to remain silent. Why? At some point, we made a decision to resume talking about the game only when we have something to show. Something meaningful and substantial. This is because we do realise you’ve been (im)patiently waiting for a very long time, and we wouldn’t like anyone to feel that we’re taking this for granted. On the contrary – it gives us a lot of extra motivation. The hype is real, so the sweat and tears need to be real, too :).

But, to the point. Today is the day. If you’re seeing this, it means you saw the trailer – our vision of Cyberpunk, an altnerative vision of the future where America is in pieces, megacorporations control all aspects of civilised life, and gangs rule the rest. And, while this world is full of adrenaline, don’t let the car chases and guns mislead you. Cyberpunk 2077 is a true single player, story-driven RPG. You’ll be able to create your own character and… well, you’ll get to know the rest from what we show at our booth at E3. Be on the lookout for previews!

Before we finish, you probably have some questions,

1. When?
When we told you we would only release the game when it’s ready, we meant it. We’re definitely much closer to a realse date than we were back then :), but it’s still not the time to confirm anything, so patience is still required. Quality is the only thing that drives us – it’s the beauty of being an independent studio and your own publisher.

2. How big?
Seriously big, but…, to be honest, we have no bloody clue at this point in time. Once we put it all together, we will openly tell you what you can expect. And we promise we’ll do this before we start talking about any pre-orders or ask anything of you.

3. Free DLC/Expansions/DRM?
Expect nothing less than you got with The Witcher 3. As for DRM, CP2077 will be 100% DRM-free on PC.

4. Microtransactions?
In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?

Once again, thank you for your patience. If you have a minute, do visit cyberpunk.net and share your opinion (about anything) with us. We read everything you post and we treat it very seriously.

Yours,
CD Projekt Red Team

Some good news in there! Character creation in particular is welcome, though free DLC and no microtransactions are obviously nice bonuses. The Witcher 3 received new quests, costumes, weapons, and other bits and pieces in free DLC, and of course its two paid expansions were great. Not to mention the huge free overhauls CDPR made of the first two Witcher games.

I’ve peered at the calendar of our roving reporter Brendy and can tell you he’ll be seeing Cyberpunk 2077 at E3 when the show opens, so we’ll have more to tell you soon.

For now, dang, this trailer…!

Check out our E3 2018 tag for more announcements, trailers, news, and goodness knows what else.

1. Troubletcat says:

TW3 is a modern classic as far as RPGs go and I couldn’t be more excited for CDPR’s next game. The fact that they’ve shown long-standing commitment to consumer-friendly business practices in an industry that so frequently does not doesn’t hurt my enthusiasm for what they do, either.

• jman420 says:

its not a classic…its the standard by which all other single player rpg games will be held against. I’ve played through it twice now and I love every single second of it. I’m beyond excited for 2077 and will for sure buy it on release day. This is one of the few devs who seem to “get it”. And I’ll gladly support a dev like that.

2. Don Reba says:

4. Microtransactions?
    In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?

Sorry! What was I thinking??

• Cederic says:

Well, indeed. I take offence at “[..] and no microtransactions are obviously nice bonuses”

No, this is not a bonus. This is as it should be. This is a fair exchange between creator and customer. This is not to be applauded or rewarded, merely accepted.

After Witcher 3 they didn’t need this trailer to get my money anyway. Microtransactions would just have lost them a sale.

• sharpmath says:

So you won’t buy ANY microtransaction game? Even if you don’t have to buy them to play? Damn, that limits you. What also limits you is slagging off CDPR. Is it just be accepted instead of lauded? Maybe. But if you don’t laud the people doing right, those doing wrong won’t care. Bad attitude.

• Cederic says:

Now that’s interesting. I didn’t intend (and can’t see in my comment) any slight on CD Projekt Red. Indeed I highlighted that as a result of playing Witcher 3 I’m going to buy Cyberpunk 2077.

But yes, if it had included microtransactions in a single player RPG I’d have skipped it. There are plenty of games out there and, as CD Projekt Red put it, I’m not nuts.

3. haldolium says:

Seems the wait is worth it.

4. Jaykera says:

Marketing team at CD Projekt consists of one old polish guy sitting on his chair, slapping you in the face when you mention micro-transactionc “are you crazy, son ?”

5. Halk says:

>where America is in pieces, megacorporations control
    >all aspects of civilised life, and gangs rule the rest

Isn’t that the setting of “Cyberpunk 2024”?

6. BooleanBob says:

It saddens me a bit that in 2018 the way to distinguish your game from the competition is to promise not to be greedy or hostile towards your audience.

• cautet says:

The amusing thing is this is an improvement over a few short years ago when AAA’s were almost uniformly published by EA and rthe like.

7. Risingson says:

I could live perfectly without the synthwave aesthetic. I mean, this proves the point that cyberpunk nowadays is all about pop.

• Cinek says:

It’s Pondsmith’s Cyberpunk. Not Blade Runner.

• Tafdolphin says:

Yup. They’ve almost perfectly (well, from that brief glimpse) nailed the aesthetic of Cyberpunk 2020. The jacket the player character wears is literally the same as the guy on the front of the 2020 rulebook.

I loved it. It’s dirty and filthy and opulent and exotic all at once. It’s exactly how I always imagined Night City. I wish there’d been a little less bombast but the devs straight up addressed this in their hidden message (and hey, it’s a conference trailer!).

Cannae wait.

• ohminus says:

You do realize you’re talking about the Cyberpunk game which had Rockerboys as a character class and Johnny Silverhand as the protagonist of its narrative elements?

8. kwyjibo says:

According to William Gibson, these cyberpunk cliches are the wrong cyberpunk cliches.

link to twitter.com

9. Apologised says:

I could not have been more enthused for this game by this trailer. I can only hope for a PS4 release because my old arthritic PC will not be capable of it.

• jonahcutter says:

You’ve got probably a good year at least before it’s released to save up for a new rig.

My plan for upgrading my PC for the past couple years has been about this particular game: Wait until Cyberpunk 2077’s release date is set in stone then build a machine that will run it well.

• Shazbut says:

I’ve never played any of the Witcher games because I can never run them and when I get a computer that can, they’re several years old, don’t look as good, and are too enormous a time investment to be appealing.

It’s like a trick is being played on me.

10. AngoraFish says:

ooh yeah, baby. hype!

11. dorobo says:

All seem very cool and dandy but it’s the wrong cyberpunk. Hardcored Ready player one? What a waste. Sad.

12. shauneyboy68 says:

Glad they went away from the whole Psycho Squad Cyber Cops thing.

13. mistery says:

Generic as this trailer looked it still hit all my good buttons.

14. cardigait says:

There’s hope!

15. Peppergomez says:

That trailer could not be more awesome. Holy wow.

16. Shazbut says:

Amazing trailer. I winced at the head stamp though. Dunno if I’m just getting old but I find violence like that a lot less palatable than, say, Doom’s blood ‘n nonsense.

• Chrithu says:

I know what you mean. In my teens and early twenties I had no issues with violence. Now being older, knowing stuff really can happen to people and working at a hospital and having seen actual victims it get’s hard to bear at times.

Started to watch “Bad Batch” yesterday evening and found the depiction of the cannibalism needlessly graphic, so much so that I had to stop watching half an hour in since I still saw no reason as far as story of the protagonists is concerned why it was part of the story at all.

• jonahcutter says:

Bad Batch is rather brilliant in some aspects. And one of those aspects is how it doesn’t romanticize a post-apoc society. So the very harsh reality of the characters’ predicaments highlights when their mundane human natures, even the humor and absurdities and weirdness, come out. Nothing is romanticized or stylized that makes it more cartoonish and palatable and thrilling (something like Fury Road say). And I don’t find the violence in it at all gratuitous. It makes sense when it is depicted, even if it’s unflinching in that depiction. And it’s actually rather light on outright violence, though the threat of it is palpable throughout the entire film. Which is great filmmaking.

Bad Batch is one of the best post-apoc films ever imo. It really stayed with me, leaving me thinking about and considering it long after I had seen it. It’s a pretty original take on the genre.

• sharpmath says:

You didn’t know in your teens in early 20’s that violence actually happened to people?

17. April March says:

I’m very excited for this. There was a time when my dream game would be a GTA style town-wanderer with the companions and RPG elements of a Mass Effect style game. (The game, not the series.) This trailer suggests Cyberpunk 2077 might be more or less that, with the nominal setting just the icing on a great cake.

Comment on this story