Devil May Cry 5 bringing back old Dante in 2019

After briefly passing through another developer and another protagonist, Devil May Cry is going back to the old ways. Capcom tonight announced Devil May Cry 5, directed by Hideaki Itsuno (the director of DMC 3 and 4) and bringing back old Dante (now properly old) and Nero as our heroes. Expect over-the-top hack ‘n’ slash action, doofy demons, big bosses, and sarky quips. Nero has made a new pal too, who you can meet in the announcement trailer below.

Capcom lay out the premise in their marketing blurb:

“Years have passed since the legions of hell have set foot in this world, but now a new demonic invasion has begun, and humanity’s last hope will rest in the hands of three lone demon hunters, each offering a radically different play style. United by fate and a thirst for vengeance, these demon hunters will have to face their demons in the hope to survive.”

I assume Nico, Nero’s travel buddy, is the third character? We’ll see.

Capcom also list DMC5’s genre as “Stylish Action”, which I will allow because Nero appears to surf around standing on a missile at one point. Also, Dante? More like Dadte:

Devil May Cry 5 is expected to launch in spring 2019.

I’m with our dearly-departed Adam (RPS in peace) when it comes to Ninja Theory’s 2013 DmC: Devil May Cry, mind, and the new Dante it introduced – and especially on the daft overreactions to him.

“Having alienated many fans of the series before release, by featuring a different brand of posturing pretty man than they were used to, Ninja Theory’s gloriously over the top romp seemed doomed to fail, but it’s a beautifully barmy concoction,” he said. Bless you, Adam. I suppose Capcom taking the series back to its old line means we’ll never see that sequel Adam wanted. Not that getting DMC5 is a bad thing, of course.

Check out our E3 2018 tag for more announcements, trailers, news, and goodness knows what else.

11 Comments

  1. Phantom_Renegade says:

    I didn’t see old Dante anywhere in that trailer. I did see ‘new’ Nero in there, with even less of a personality then he had in 4. I also saw a hobo on a motorcycle, I’m guessing that’s Dante then?

    Everyone who bitched about the excellent DMC:DMC should feel very ashamed of themselves.

    • lalilulelo says:

      the excellently subpar combat of DmC will be missed, no doubt about that.

    • Jokerme says:

      Careful with that edge.

    • Dominic Tarason says:

      Nah. Even when I wasn’t cringing myself inside-out at DmC (it seemed to mistake swearing loudly for wit, and then there was that whole sniper abortion scene because EDGY), the combat system was just broken. 90% of enemies could be flattened with the charged axe attack. The other 10% were magically immune to axes so you just hit them with any other weapon.

      • mitrovarr says:

        I liked the gameplay (I guess I never found out about that axe trick) but yeah, that writing. The plot was ok on the large scale but the main character was so completely unlikeable. Just a giant prick to everyone for no reason (including his friends and allies), all of the time. And he managed to radiate spoiled frat boy despite that making no sense at all.

    • DefinitelyNotHans says:

      Oh no! I am so ashamed that I didn’t like a button mashing game that stole its red/blue mechanic right out of other, better games, and whose story felt like something out of an early 90’s MTV show, except with swearing and Dante statutory raping a cabbage patch kid! Anyway, go binge watch Suicide Squad or something and calm down.

      • Phantom_Renegade says:

        Suicide Squad was a trash movie. Much like DMC4 was a trash game, and for much the same reasons. This looks more like 4 and a lot less like 3, which I would have enjoyed.

  2. StarJuice says:

    Devil May Cry 3 was my favorite.!!!

  3. DatonKallandor says:

    Hopefully the giant Microsoft logo doesn’t mean Windows Store exclusive and they actually release it on PC not pseudo-xbox.

    • DefinitelyNotHans says:

      It’s going to be on PC and PS4 too. Same with many other games Microsoft revealed at their Xbone conference as if they were exclusives for some reason. Guess that had to fill the time somehow.

Comment on this story

HTML: Allowed code: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>