Metro Exodus surfaces in February 2019

If you want to see nuclear winter again, you’ll need to survive regular winter, as Metro Exodus has confirmed a release day of February 22nd, 2019. The FPS series based on the post-apocalyptic novels of Dmitry Glukhovsky is venturing even further away from the Moscow subways where all this started, this time roaming across big sandbox overground levels. And apparently fighting boat-chomping giant mutant pondlife at some point. Here, watch Metro Exodus’s new E3 trailer, which shows Artyom sneaking, skidding, canoeing, shooting, and stabbing.

“The gameplay footage was captured from a single massive sandbox survival area and follows Artyom and our band of Spartans as they smash into the Volga region during the post-apocalyptic Russian spring,” Deep Silver explained in an accompanying statement. “The new trailer illustrates the many new experiences and dangers that await. The Volga region of Russia encompasses the drainage basin of Europe’s largest river and is packed with dangerous bandits, a fanatic religious cult, and a range of vicious mutants desperate to make Artyom their next meal.”

Sounds like a party. A sexy party at that, if someone’s playing Massive Attack.

Metro Exodus is due to launch on February 22nd, 2019 – the same day as BioWare’s Anthem. It’s made by 4A Games and published by Deep Silver. Exodus’s Steam page is already up, for wishlisting purposes, and I would expect it to follow the previous two games to GOG too.

Elsewhere in irradiated land, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 was recently announced. That might just be a pipe dream with a name at this point, but we live in hope.

Check out our E3 2018 tag for more announcements, trailers, news, and goodness knows what else.

1. Morte66 says:

That “Artyom jump” at the end makes me worry that this will be the sort of sandbox where you do exactly what an NPC tells you. I abandoned the first Metro after a few hours because I was basically a puppet. Hope this plays differently, instead of just enlarging the maps, because it does look damn good.

2. Vodka, Crisps, Plutonium says:

Yeah, I was hoping that “free exploration at the player’s pace vs NPC railroading the player” ratio would dramatically increase in favor of the first one, but something tells me that it’s never gonna be the case with Metro series as they’ve pretty clearly established their pattern.
    I also don’t like how the source material basically forces gameplay designers to actively punish players for using the most commonly used way of interacting with the world they have (i.e. shooting human and some mutant enemies with guns – you have to not do all that and then some in Last Light to get the good/true/canon ending; the thought of it really stopped my enjoyment of any subsequent playthroughs I was trying to have w/ LL and couldn’t bring myself to follow the rules of the game)

Can’t they just stop forcing the sub-par narrative down our gob (or, at least, bring it down to a minimum) and let us explore the beautifully crafted post-apocalypse as much as possible?

3. Caiman says:

When the NPC said “stinking” I could only think of Boo.

4. Kollega says:

It really is hilarious in a sad way that I have a bit of a hard time telling “make-believe post-apocalyptic provincial Russia backwater” from “present-day real-world provincial Russia backwater”. Of course, it’s far from being one-to-one identical… but what I’m getting at is that it’d be somewhat difficult to make the modern-day Russian provincial backwaters all that much more desolate. I think Half-Life 2 is another good example of how that works.

• Axeman89 says:

I know what you mean, but I’m still excited to see a game that takes place in a part of Russia that isn’t Moscow or Siberia, but in a recognizable geographic area. I’m also hoping this gives us a swampy environment without the usual tropes (I’m hoping that a game with dragons still doesn’t end up with crocodiles!)

• Bilateralrope says:

They are far enough away from where the nukes (any whatever else) hit that they can go outside without masks for some of the time.

5. fuzzyfuzzyfungus says:

OK, so Eastern Orthodox Children of the Atom are definitely more serious than the western ones.

Comment on this story