Prey Mooncrash DLC out now alongside free story, survival and new game+ modes

prey-mooncrash-e3-2018

At last night’s Bethesda E3 conference, we got another of those ‘here’s a thing and it’s out now’ announcements. It’s a Prey expansion, called Prey Mooncrash, which is pitched as “an infinitely replayable experience” in which the “enemies, hazards and loot” are different each time you play.

If spending money isn’t your thing, Arkane had more Prey-flavoured stuff, too. A free update – also out now – brings new modes to the base game, including store mode, new game+, and a survival mode. Hop below for trailers and details of all of those – plus a scant mention of a multiplayer mode called Typhon Hunter that’s coming later this summer.

Here’s the Mooncrash trailer, for starters:

I do love that song.

Mooncrash is, as the name suggests, set on the moon. You’re taking part in a simulation and attempting to escape from a research facility on the surface, with all the normal Prey enemies and tools to play with in the process. You don’t only play as the same characters as in the base game; instead, there are multiple new unlockable characters, each with their own upgradeable skills. Those are presumably the gribbly fellows in the image above. The DLC costs £13/$20/€20 from Steam, or £30 if bought alongside the base game as part of a new Prey Digital Deluxe edition.

Arkane have been teasing this new expansion for months, via Twitter gifs, unsubtle ‘redacted’ photos, and updated achievements.

The new free modes are pretty much what they sound like: the story mode is designed for people who want the narrative without so much combat; survival mode introduces the need to manage your oxygen levels and bleeding after injuries; and New Game+ is, I assume, the same old game made harder. We’ll throw a writer against the rocks of all of this and get back to you with thoughts.

Finally, details were light on the Typhon Hunter multiplayer, beyond a description: it’s a competitive mode one player is human and five other players control Mimics, the game’s shape-shifting enemies. As in the singleplayer, the Mimic players can turn into regular objects – cups, boxes, etc. – in order to get the jump on the human. Nothing else is clear beyond that, but you can imagine the Prop Hunt-like potential.

The trailer above was shown as part of Bethesda’s stage conference, after which a few other details were shared. You can watch that in the video below, which should be timed to start at the right section of the video.

1. TΛPETRVE says:

So basically they took inspiration from Alien Isolation‘s survivor mode for this DLC. Why the actual hell not.

2. Xerophyte says:

It’s too bad that senior members of Arkane Studios had to be eaten by mimics for this release. Oh well, they died furthering humanity.

Also, R. Yu if I’m reading that right? Your mother is Catherine Yu, I think. I guess the family will be expanded.

3. Stevostin says:

Good trailer. The art of the above characters above is terrible though, a far cry from the amazing work done on Dishonored 2. I am much, much more interseted in more Dishonored than in more Prey. Prey’s charm are nearly intellectual only. Very little happens in term of skill, feel, move, etc. It’s all about taking an angle and see how it pans out. Nice but a bit lacking for my pleasure.

4. woodsey says:

I’m a little confused. Is this a traditional single-player expansion pack with a story and a bunch of spare modes, or is it just a bunch of spare modes with some very minor context provided?

• napoleonic says:

As I understand it, they’ve announced three new, separate things:

1. Some new spare single-player modes, all free, all available right now.
      2. A new spare multi-player mode, available later this year, probably free.
      3. A new paid single-player expansion, a self-contained combat-focussed mission on the moon, available right now.

Make sense?

• woodsey says:

Yes! Thank you kindly.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Now we only need to figure out what the word “gribbly” means, as Alice writes “Those are presumably the gribbly fellows in the image above”.

• bacon seeker says:

Perhaps “grimy”? although there is some stuff on urban dictionary about goblinlike

• Vandelay says:

Normally, gribbly would mean some small, creepy, crawl type thing. I could see Mimics being referred to as gribblies. Perhaps it is a British-ism.

Confused in this context though.

5. TΛPETRVE says:

Played a few minutes of the add-on. So yeah, it’s basically PREY: The Roguelite. No procedural maps (thankfully), but randomised enemy and item placement, permadeath, and unlockable stuff (ranging from new characters to customisable starting loadouts). Every character has their own individual storyline as well as attached goals and endings. Let’s see where this goes from here.

6. Lars Westergren says:

Optional weapon degradation too, if you wanted it to be even more like System Shock.

7. Blake Casimir says:

I adored Prey. I love Arkane’s games. I will not be buying this. Prey was a near-perfect immersive sim experience with great story, narrative, systems and level design. If I cannot hope to reach the end of a game, because it is designed instead not to be a solo journey through a story, rather a “challenge” that resets every time, then I am not interested. This is quite distressing to me as I wanted more Prey very, very much. But when the trailer tells us we failed 51 times, try again, I know I will not want to play this game. If Arkane add a softcore mode / save mechanic, I will consider this DLC.

• Godwhacker says:

It’s actually really good.

• Vandelay says:

Was a bit disappointed reading the description, as I was also hoping for more Prey in the form of a standard expansion with a new story, new places to explore and many doors to unlock. A glorified score attack mode seemed an odd direction to take Prey.

The trailer was excellent though and the comments here sound like it is pretty good. Will likely be picking this up quite soon. Perhaps good sales will give them motive to do more with the franchise.

• Dominic Tarason says:

This is definitely not a score-attack mode. It’s a pretty large four-map hub with multiple story missions and long-term progression goals that will take many playthroughs to entirely complete.

It’s roughly on par with Arkane’s other expansions, from what I’ve seen so far. I keep stupidly dying. The new injury system (optional in the base game) is positively brutal. Having an open wound that causes damage whenever you sprint is bad. Being so concussed that you can’t see straight or use neuromods is worse.

• Mouse_of_Dunwall says:

Thanks for the clarification Dominic! I’m certainly going to play this ASAP no matter what it’s like, but based on the trailer and description I wasn’t sure how much focus was on the narrative. Glad to hear the story is still a major element!

It is a great trailer though.

8. Molay says:

In the trailer it says “Every second counts”. Is this just some marketing speak to make it sound all exciting, or does it actually mean this mode is all about speedrunning and dashing wildly through the levels?
    I was really looking forward to try the mode until that sentence popped onto the screen. I don’t like speedruns at all.

• Dominic Tarason says:

No need to run around like a lunatic, but you do need to keep up a decent pace. There’s a timer system not entirely unlike a hunger system in a roguelike. You’ve got a gauge that gradually fills up. If it does, more and higher-tier enemies spawn. If this happens five times, game over.

You can delay this, however. Some enemies drop items which roll back the clock, and I think you can also craft these, although they’re not very cheap.

Completing one character’s mission within the time limit is dead easy. Completing all five is going to take some doing.

• leeder krenon says:

it is because it is inspired by the Paul Daniels hosted game show

9. SaltTitan says:

I’ll have to check out the Survival mode tonight. If it lets me just wander the station trying to survive I’d be really happy; best part of that game was the exploration and it’s a shame the ending devolved into 2-3 hours of corridor shooting. Debating rebuying the bundle on PC since I played it on Xbox originally…

10. bacon seeker says:

Meh. I was hoping for a proper single player campaign like the Dishonored expansions. But I might pick this up anyway just to keep Arkane busy.

• Dominic Tarason says:

It’s on roughly the same scale. It’s a large four-zone hub, with five playable characters, each with their own special story mission and exit point. Just getting all the character unlocked takes some doing, and a full successful run requires completing all five of their stories in a single go, with the world getting increasingly dangerous as time passes.

• bacon seeker says:

Thanks! The words “infinitely replayable experience” set off my BS detector/content-poor roguelike aversion but that sounds interesting.

• Dominic Tarason says:

Enemy and item placement, plus some extra hazards can change quite dramatically between runs. Finding a very early door guarded by a pair of tentacle pods where you were only expecting mimics, so packed nothing but a silenced pistol is a real headache. Fortunately, this expansion being set on the moon, you can throw explosive canisters extra far and shooting them is pretty easy.

• Lars Westergren says:

Sold! Thanks Dominic.

11. Monggerel says:

As the only person ever who actually enjoyed NeoPrey,

This reminded me of something. Hm. Live die repeat. What was it.

Oh yeah. Soul transmigration.

Comment on this story