Rage 2 blasts first gameplay video

Tonight we got our first real look at Rage 2, the sequel to Id Software’s 2011 post-apocalyptic drive-o-shooter, in its first gameplay video. After Andrew WK and his chums finished rocking out on stage, anyway (a thing that happened, and I was glad to see at 2:30am?). Click on through for faceshooting, carfights, and some real fancy superpowers.

Rage 2 is being made by Avalanche Studios, the makers of Mad Max and Just Cause, together with Id Software. Avalanche are actually using their own tech, the Apex engine used in their other games, rather than building on Id’s old Rageguts. A lot of why I like Id shooters is how they feel, so I’m getting a little wistful contemplating this, but I shouldn’t judge before I’ve touched it.

Spring 2019 is when we should expect Rage 2 to launch.

Check out our E3 2018 tag for more announcements, trailers, news, and goodness knows what else.

1. kalirion says:

That detail pop-in on the vegetation….

• Ace676 says:

Not like the video says “Pre-alpha footage” or anything…. Oh wait, yes it does. It’s pre-alpha you dummy.

• Solidstate89 says:

Seriously, anyone whose played Just Cause games based on Avalanche’s engine know this won’t be a problem on full release.

2. haldolium says:

Looks solid. And exactly like Mad Max meets Do4m. Maybe not the worst mix.

3. DatonKallandor says:

The shooting likes kind of terrible.

It’s really sad how in 2018 AAA shooters still have less impactful shooting visuals than FEAR1.

4. Kollega says:

I’m not 100% sure on that, but I feel like the FOV made the video near-unwatchable to me. It’s so narrow, and the aim turns are so rapid, that I can’t bloody see what’s happening on-screen. And so I damn well hope there is an FOV slider in the final game – because seriously, I couldn’t play it the way it’s shown here.

5. Stevostin says:

Rage game engine was a failure at the time but later on it became IMO an essential asset for Bethesda. All games using it has a little something special in the lightning that’s not actually realistic but is very pleasant.

Obviously it’s lost here. Actually it’s the opposite, the lights is unusually bad. Let’s hope there’s something better on PC.

Shooting and pace looks nice though.

For reference, here’s a 60Hz 1080p video of Rage 1. Less vertices but better color grading, light and art direction in general IMO.

6. aircool says:

Looks great. Reminds me more of GW’s Dark Future than Mad Max, which is a good thing. Hopefully there’s be the usual PC tweaks such as FoV, Motion Blur etc…, otherwise it’s a migraine inducing no-go.

Oh, that soundtrack is bloody awful though!

7. The First Door says:

While I really like the look of this (and strangely loved RAGE 1), I nearly turned the video off 30 seconds in due to the protagonist. Goodness does he come across as an unlikeable bag of clich├ęs! If ever there was a game that made me wish for a silent protagonist…

8. Chorltonwheelie says:

New Doom, Wolfenstein, Metro and this. What a lovely day.
    Not that I’m going to see daylight for six months.

9. suibhne says:

The shooting looks crack, but that’s some of the worst trailer VO I’ve ever heard from E3. And that’s really saying something.

10. hungrycookpot says:

Is that protag Jessie Pinkman?

Comment on this story