Shadow Of The Tomb Raider gameplay shows Lara’s Predator-esque junglemurders

When Eidos Montreal say that Shadow Of The Tomb Raider takes us through the journey where Lara Croft “becomes the Tomb Raider that she’s destined to be”, I think they mean becoming a stone-cold mass murderer. They blasted a few minutes of gameplay footage during Square Enix’s E3 press conference today, and it shows Lara’s stealthy murdermoves from camouflaging herself in mud to firing rope arrows into mercs so she can swing down as the counterweight hauling them up and hanging them from branches. Goodness me. I reckon she’s a real fan of Predator. See the vid below.

Stopping the Mayan apocalypse is evidently going to take a whole lot of blood.

And here’s the plain ol’ E3 ‘gameplay trailer’, showing some of the places and deathtraps she’ll face:

Shadow Of The Tomb Raider is coming on September 14th via Steam, priced at £45. For more on the game, read our hands-off preview from earlier this year.

Check out our E3 2018 tag for more announcements, trailers, news, and goodness knows what else.

1. kud13 says:

She’s basically Batman know. But with bow and knife.

2. lglethal says:

Stopping the Mayan apocalypse is evidently going to take a whole lot of blood.

Well the Mayans were into the whole blood sacrifice thing, so maybe they were just preventing Apocalypses (Apocalypsii? What is the plural of an Apocalypse?) back in their day.

Makes sense to me (about as much sense as most computer games these days)…

3. MiniMatt says:

It says something when Agent 47, an actual hitman, has a lower body count than Lara, archaeologist/explorer

4. DanMan says:

Not sure what to think of this yet. More of the same but more murder death kill. Meh.

Also different developer, so I’m wary still.

5. Jazzhole says:

Were is tomb raiding in my TOMB RAIDER game?!
    Yet another stleathy killing spree game it looks like, not gonna fall for this for the third time.

6. Det. Bullock says:

“Ah, maybe the Tomb Raider she’s destined to be is one tied up in tedious conspiracies. What happened to the one who fought dinosaurs, smoked cigars, and had a motorbike?”

Smoked cigars? I know I still have three of the good Core Design ones yet to play but the cigars are new.
    There were conspiracies basically since the first one, with all that “corrupt corporate executive is an Atlantean demigoddess awakened by the Los Alamos atom bomb tests intent on bringing the apocalypse” thing.
    The difference is that at the time you were spending so much time lining up millimetric jumps and shooting at stuff offscreen because the camera decided that looking at what you were aiming at was for wimps that you kinda forgot there was a plot there.

7. NickAragua says:

I completely disagree with the characterization of Lara in this video as being inspired by Predator.

She was obviously inspired by Rambo: First Blood Part II.

8. BooleanBob says:

They gave her fully three origin stories and they couldn’t turn her into an interesting character?

• DatonKallandor says:

The Anniversary Trilogy managed to give her a proper arc. They did it better and more believably than the Reboot series, and they never bragged about (they should have – it was quite good).

9. Mouse_of_Dunwall says:

If it bleeds, she can kill it!

10. racccoon says:

Graphics look amazing, will the game play be as good, her skin looks way too good and clean for a person who’s been through what she’s been through, were’s are the scars? On game play will have to wait and see, on the PC of course. No Ports please!

11. mlj11 says:

I dunno guys… I think I prefer the Lara of old, when she was unabashedly a teenage boy’s wet dream.

12. Pheon0802 says:

honestly I loved Tomb raider, but can we go back to the roots a bit? Especially when it comes tothe killing sprees? give her wild animals and mythical creatures as adversaries maybe another tombraider as an ongoing rival during the game, I want more puzzles and acrobatics, less human massacres. :///

13. Monggerel says:

Your regularly scheduled reminder that in the original Tomb Raider, Lara Croft kills:

A mercenary hired by the main villain, self defense
    A treasure hunter like herself, self defense
    A god, self defense vs apocalypse

In Tomb Raider 2, she kills:
    The entire Mafia. Yes all of it.

I guess “sense” just isn’t something one should expect from games.

14. kament says:

(sets two men on fire, they die screaming): I hope that you like what you’ve just seen.

Comment on this story