Ubisoft show off multipirate shipfights in Skull & Bones

What sets Skull & Bones apart from Sea of Thieves? Being more of an action-RPG and having enemies who can actually put up a decent fight, for starters, going by a new gameplay explain-o-trailer for Ubisoft’s upcoming shared-world multiplayer pirate shipfight sandbox action-RPG. It gives a broad overview of customising your ship’s loadout, ship class special abilities, engaging in shipstealth to slip past watchful NPCs, plundering booty, teaming up to fight real big ships, backstabbing piratepals, and making your pirate ship just look real cool.

Quite nice, that. Might be a lark with pals, assuming everyone can’t be too much of a tedious murderbastard to each other. I’d give it a go, especially having read last year’s preview from our dearly-departed Adam (RPS in peace).

Skull & Bones is slated to launch some time in 2019, following a recent delay extending development time.

Check out our E3 2018 tag for more announcements, trailers, news, and goodness knows what else.

1. Seafoam says:

“Yarrr! Piracy is dead! Please buy our game!”

2. StarJuice says:

This game is hyping me. Yes!

3. Phantom_Renegade says:

Wait… this is Destiny but with pirates? Never mind then, got my hopes up for a single-player piracy game.

• BobbyDylan says:

More like “For Honour” but with pirates. I too am disappointed. I reckon as SP pirate game, like Black Flag (but with less ASSCRED bollocks) would be amazing.

• Stone_Crow says:

This seems like such a no-brainer given how much better Black Flag was than anything else they have done in recent history. But remember, this is the company that decided…

Jeff – “Hmmmm… you know what, we should have them stop being a bad ass super pirate every time they get into it, and make them wander around an office having meetings.”

Bob – “My god Jeff, that’s genius! Everyone knows that going to meetings is MUCH cooler than being a Pirate. Lucky you were here, we we just going to have them be a bad ass Pirate for the WHOLE GAME.”

Jeff – “Just wait until I tell you about making them hunt for Post-It notes Bob, you will fecking cream yourself.”

4. racccoon says:

ocean battle royale..coming soon

Ninja Dodo says:

It looks very impressive. I do feel though like they heard the Black Flag criticism “we want pirates without the assassin stuff” and then overshot the goal by rather misinterpreting that. I think many wanted less of the baggage of the AC series with all its lore and gameplay conventions, but still wanted to walk around as a pirate both on their ship and on land doing piratey things, fighting and stealing and singing, just a little less of the assassinating and none of the ancient aliens.

Game still looks cool, but it feels balanced too much towards being a boat. It would be cool if you could ask your first mate to take over for a bit and go hang out in your captain’s quarters or talk to your crew a la Mass Effect and the Normandy.

6. Jimbo says:

Looks very promising. Will come down to how mandatory & irritating having to interact with other people is.

7. doodler says:

The most redeeming quality of sea of thieves is the horizontal progression. The fact that I can take months off from it to wait for more content and the only thing that separates me from other players is my skill is hugely important to me in a multiplayer sandbox like this. I think this is going to be a bomb unless there is something compelling beyond what they’ve already described.

8. Cinek says:

Multiplayer :(

9. heretic says:

Is this the same engine as Assassin’s Creed Black Flag? It seems like some camera angles are identical.

Comment on this story