Square Enix tease The Quiet Man

quiet-man

The bods at Square Enix teased a new game called The Quiet Man during their E3 video presentation. There isn’t much to it, except that it features a pale deaf (and presumably mute) character with good back-alley brawling skills. The game, curiously, is half live-action and half graphical biffing – as you can see in the announcement trailer below.

For now, all Square Enix say is:

“The Quiet Man takes players beyond sound and words to deliver an immersive story-driven cinematic action experience, which players can complete in one sitting, seamlessly blending high-production live action, realistic CG and pulse-pounding action gameplay.”

No idea why he’s beating up these two guys who were minding their own business. Maybe we’ll find out in August, when Square Enix say they’ll share more. Let’s hope this depiction of a deaf and mute person doesn’t follow the terribly-received Mute.

Check out our E3 2018 tag for more announcements, trailers, news, and goodness knows what else.

1. Zenicetus says:

So apparently we haven’t come far enough in the year 2018 to make the transition seamless between live action and CGI rendered men. The two goons don’t look anything like the actors when it switched modes.

We’re gonna need a bigger budget…

• LexW1 says:

Wow I… I… is this some sort of elaborate joke, or prank or hoax?

I… I’m aghast.

It says on screen “seamless” and it just looks terrible. And the concept is terrible. It’s exactly like something from Always Sunny in Philadephia. This is literally like something Charlie would come up with, right down to the appearances of the characters.

And not only is the transition horrible, but the animation and so on look like they’re from last-generation, not even this one. Good god.

Seriously this is not a prank?

• Darth Gangrel says:

Also, they’ve been very careful to shove as many uninformative, pretentious buzzwords as possible into one sentence. I mean, listen to this: “an immersive story-driven cinematic action experience”. That doesn’t sound like a game to me, more like a slightly interactive “experience”.

2. Phantom_Renegade says:

I mean… had they done it almost silent, it could have at least been artful. Only music, no voices, have the player actually experience deafness. Then it might have been an obviously terrible game, but at least it would have been art.

3. Ribonizer says:

“Can be completed in one sitting”
    Better not be a full price game then!

Mind you I’m not one who believe a game should be a 60+ hours busywork fest. I’ve loved Stanley Parrable and whatnot. But those games were not full priced titles.

But this is Squeenyx, they really love that monay!

• April March says:

I’d buy a game for $60 (what I suppose you’d call “full price”, and I’d call “ridiculously engorged price through AAA hype tax”) that could be completed in one sitting if it was very interesting and/or could be finished multiple times with significant differences.

But you’re right. This is Squeenyx, who charged, what, fourty bucks for crappy mobile ports of their back catalogue. No hopes that this will be worth whatever they charge.

4. automatic says:

From this trailer it seems to be a latino beating simulator? Because despite the fact the sitting guy asks him to leave they don’t seem to start any aggression. Maybe the main character is an undercover police agent. I have no trouble imagining a shining badge on his chest and a gun on the hand he signs at his ear. Probably just bad editing, but stil…

• Phasma Felis says:

The way they came up and squared off with him, it looked like they were spoiling for a fight as much as he was. But I feel like there’s a missing scene in there somewhere–he walks up to three guys, they yell at him, he gestures, two guys walk towards him, the camera pans around to show the third guy (?) already unconscious on the ground behind him.

It seems like they cut out a scuffle between Hero and Thirdguy in their somewhere.

• automatic says:

It didn’t felt like a squaring to me. If a guy signs to me from a distance that he is deaf I’d also get close to him. Even if I didn’t wanted him there I’d think “this guy has a problem” before “I’m gonna kick this guy out of here”. But hey, I’m not a latino punk on a dark alley, right? Or maybe I am (suspense music then sudden silence).

I noticed the third guy on the floor. Maybe he was the one that started the aggression on the full scene but on that editing for the promotion trailer I can see no aggression at all.

• RogerioFM says:

lol, Seriously? Man, people cry for the most irrelevant things these days.

• automatic says:

It’s not a cry and it’s not irrelevant if you study media and semiotics. Most people don’t but I don’t see a crowd pissing on these kind of comments like you just did. I wonder why. Maybe because that’s dumb? Here’s something for you to think about.

5. racccoon says:

He’s so quiet he doesn’t want to mention BATTLE ROYALE!! again!
    end
    but you get the picture is just a fest.

6. Mr. Robot says:

I love cheesy FMV, and mixing it with awkward cuts to gameplay makes it even better.

7. TheBetterStory says:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know which sign language he’s using? I’m assuming he signs that he’s deaf, but I know the gesture for that in ASL and it isn’t what he did.

8. kud13 says:

apparently it’s developed by Human Head.

This is what they’ve been doing instead of Kickstarting another space bounty hunter game?

Comment on this story