Death Stranding’s sad posties traipse across some rocks

death-stranding-e3-2018-2

WILL IT BE ON PC OR NOT, KOJIMA? Good grief, will you just concentrate long enough to answer that one question. Death Stranding, the baby-coddling adventure from Kojima that was first shown at E3 two years ago, has released another bit of cinematic brain-vom that looks a bit more gamey than previous vids. It now looks (a bit) like something you might control. Prepare yourself for lots of sad postmen walking across a wet world full of irritated ghosts.

Don’t talk to me or my baby in a jar ever again.

We now see that it’s not just Norman Reedus of The Walking Dead and Mads Mikkelsen of Casino Royale lending their faces to Koj’s mystery. There’s also Léa Seydoux from Blue is the Warmest Colour and Lindsay Wagner of The Bionic Woman. Is he just making a movie and telling us it’s a videogame? No. Hideo wouldn’t do that.

There also seem to be a couple of clues about the rules that govern this world. Talk about people “coming back” and suggestions that the rain is bad for you. Those ghosts we saw before are also hanging about, with Norman – excuse me, Sam Bridges – using a shoulder-mounted machine to detect them.

There’s no release date and no confirmation about its PC status. Back in the day Kojima Productions asserted that their first game would be out on PC after PS4, but they, er, might have forgotten. We’ll let you know if they shirk their duty.

Check out our E3 2018 tag for more announcements, trailers, news, and goodness knows what else.

1. Raoul Duke says:

MGSV is a masterpiece despite all of its pretentious, incoherent and faux-meaningful cut scenes, not because of them. The gameplay was what made it great. Until we stop seeing animated actors emoting as hard as they can and get some proper gameplay details it’s hard to assess this game at all.

• Mycenaeus says:

I think we can agree that the game had great mechanics tied to a try-hard and ultimately nonsensical narrative.

I fall on the other end of the spectrum though. I have a soft spot for strong narrative games that maybe fumble the mechanics a bit, while perfect gameplay mechanics won’t go very far with me if it’s tied to a horrible, cliched, or nonsensical narrative.

I guess I’m getting old. But yeah, the costuming, direction and cinematography can be top notch. All the mechanics can be great. If the narrative is off, I’m tuning out. But I will sit hooked to a low-budget indie film with a slightly wonky camera if the narrative is excellent. Same with games, I guess.

• Seafoam says:

Although MGS’s gameplay is fantastic, I gotta say that without the Kojima plot it would have no magic. People love to watch the games on youtube with no gameplay at all, and theyre still loving it. While often nonsensical the plot can be really moving, and maybe even profound at times if you dig into it.

Also the many times that you slap your head when something absolutely stupid and insane happens balance it all out in a weirdly zen way. While I feel that this is going to be plot heavy half-movie game, I think that it will be amazing.
      Stupid things with a somewhat profound meaning to it, or atleast getting the feeling that it’s profound, makes no difference really.

alison says:

I have such the opposite opinion I can’t even. I bought MGSV on the strength of the countless RPS articles and kicked the habit after sinking in more hours than pretty much any other single player game I’ve ever played because 90% of my time was spent repeating the same tedious sneak-and-die Dragon’s Lair mechanics without a proper fucking save slot over and over and over. The only reason to push through the misery was because when I finally completed a mission at least I’d get to see an awesome cutscene. It’s one of the few games I wish I had just stopped playing after the intro, which was pitch-perfect and unforgettable. All downhill after that for me.

• Raoul Duke says:

Wow, that’s certainly different to my experience.

To me, some of the cutscenes were ok but most of them involved strained attempts to produce drama and emotion via characters grunting and looking angsty rather than anything comprehensible that was actually happening to any of them. It had the veneer of an interesting story and character development, but almost nothing under the surface.

And I absolutely loved the gameplay, could happily play it indefinitely. I tended to stay out in the field and get equipment drops as much as possible to avoid any cutscene nonsense taking me away from it.

Anyway, sounds like at least one person will love Death Stranding!

• Javier says:

You *really* should play the earlier MGS games then. There is a very good chance that you will absolutely love them.

2. Quite So says:

It’s going to be a movie, and probably not a very good one.

MGS5 was great because they made Kojima cut out much of the cut-scene nonsense. I’m afraid his response with this game will be all ego-driven, retaliatory cinematic vomit.

• Artist says:

Wow, your outstanding lyrical eloquence baffles me..

• Seafoam says:

I wan’t to chip in and say that I enjoyed MGSV’s cutscenes and gameplay in equal measure.
      I guess it’s mostly that I’ve been a long time fan of MGS games and was riding on that past emotional investment a bit. Would’ve still played MGSV even if it had almost no gameplay, so I’m looking forward to this.

3. Halk says:

Hobos just walking around with bags, wow such genius much gameplay

4. benzoate says:

Iceland walking simulator 2049. With a AAA budget. I like the sound of that.

5. Caiman says:

Still looks a lot more interesting than yet another fucking battle royale game. I’m glad there’s still some creativity left in the AAA sphere, even if it is batshit crazy.

6. kud13 says:

Is Brendan gonna get a chance to corner Kojima and make him answer that question?

While we’re on the same page: would be nice if Konami did a remaster of the MGS games and put them on PC. We know they don’t want to make new games (aside from PES), but remastering classics is basically printing money at this day and age, and I’d love a chance to actually try this reputedly insane universe.

7. An Idle Cacophony says:

Whether the off-axis narrative and melodrama works here is an interesting question; but just being able to explore and experience this crazy world may be more than enough. Similar to Cyberpunk 2077.

8. Artist says:

Crap, solved the games plot even before its close to release..!

Plot: Everybody in that world is depressive and you have to deliver the Fluoxetin in time, so they dont hallucinate and go mental. In the end you got mental too and drift into the cutscene of the cliffhanger for the next game.

Hoped for more..

9. MajorLag says:

On the one hand, I’m really annoyed that so many games these days are just cutscenes strung together by tedium. On the other hand, Kojima’s work is usually at least interestingly strange. On the gripping hand, like all the Metal Gear games I doubt I’ll ever play it, but I’ll enjoy the hell out of Chip and Ironicus playing it for me.

• Turkey says:

Yeah, slow and atmospheric is usually my jam when it comes to movies, but I have a limited patience for it in games. I’ll probably end up watching someone else play it.

10. Jernau Gurgeh says:

Well, to me this looks like the most interesting thing I’ve seen in any media in ages. I can’t get enough of strange, atmospheric and utterly alien sci-fi…

Under The Skin: The Video Game

11. Jernau Gurgeh says:

On a frivolous side note, how gorgeous is Lindsay Wagner still, at 68 years old?

link to commons.m.wikimedia.org

12. Ben King says:

If Encumbrance is more than some basic stat adjustments but a real skill based gamble that would be cool. Watching that load unsteadily shift on their back was pretty neat… Sure you can technically carry that space mummy, your box of moon rocks, a ghost baby, and 40kg letters all in one trip but now fording that stream at the nearest pass is harder. Oops you’re drowning- drop your load before you die! Well there goes your cargo- 10 sec until the waterfall: do you lunge for the space baby or crate of time travel grubs?? Decisions!

13. BeefChesthair says:

It says “Only on Playstation” right at the beginning of the trailer and Sony is funding it. It’s a PS4 exclusive.

Comment on this story