Jurassic World Evolution stomps out today

Frontier’s dinopark-building management sim Jurassic World Evolution launched this morning, I’ll remind you in case the waves of E3 announcements mean you forget games can even come out in 2018. It’s a bit disappointing, our Jurassic World Evolution review will tell you, especially in comparison to Frontier’s Planet Coaster, but you might still fancy it? It does, at the very least, have pretty dinosaurs.

Jurassic World Evolution gives us the job of InGen’s new park manager, tasked with covering an archipelago with a string of successful dinozoos. Plop down buildings, hatch dinos, send expeditions to nab new DNA, splice DNA to make new horrors… y’know, Jurassic World. Alas, it just doesn’t sound that good. As Fraser Brown said in his review:

“Jurassic World Evolution is the most boring of all possible outcomes for a dinosaur theme park sim. There’s no outlet for creativity and, aside from the prehistoric pals you might make, managing the parks just isn’t a lot of fun. By the time I’d unlocked enough to make the sandbox mode live up to its name, I realised I had nothing left to build.

“It’s a greater disappointment because it falls so short of Planet Coaster. Frontier has already made the game that shows Evolution where it went wrong. It’s not that Evolution couldn’t have forged its own path, but it throws away lots of proven systems, often without substituting them for anything else. I don’t want to bad-mouth cool dinosaurs, but cool dinosaurs can only carry a game so far.”

Lacking the wonderful personalisation tools of Planet Coaster seems a terrible shame, but the greatest disappointing is hearing I can’t build a petting zoo with my cuter dinos.

Jurassic World Evolution is out now for £45/€55/$55 on Steam.

Elsewhere in the cross-medium frenzy surrounding the release of new movie Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Rocket League is getting Jurassiced up next week.

1. Cinek says:

Well, hopefully it won’t suck, and hopefully it’ll grow big enough to offer some expansion packs (damn, this game has so much potential for expansion). As far as I dislike Frontier and its practices – this game really got my interest, hope I won’t refund…

• Cinek says:

So… over 3 hours in and… the management part is very simplified, it basically boils down to building all the facilities you can afford, there is no downside to anything, locations don’t matter, it feels like a smartphone game, nothing like the old school Tycoon games.

That said though – dinosaur fights are cool, and this whole cycle of send expedition – parse fossils – toy with genetically modifying dinosaurs is actually quite fun and so far I enjoy the game, despite of having higher expectations to the management part.

• BobbyDylan says:

Thank you. The lack of an actual management gameplay in Planet Coaster really soured my grapes. I was hoping Fdev learnt from that.

2. SebfromMTL says:

Cannot wait to get home and try this!

3. Archonsod says:

From what Fraser said it looks like it would be perfectly possible to build a petting zoo. The tricky part will be stopping the dino’s eating their pets.

4. Shiloh says:

I’m a supporter of Frontier (I’ve played over 400 hours of Elite Dangerous and I have a good few hours sunk in Planet Coaster) so it was with a heavy heart that I’ve refunded this – after the initial “oohs” and “aahs” of seeing your dinosaurs running about, and the first person driving around, it’s just bland.

I’m sure they’ll add stuff in due course to spice it up, and tweak other areas to improve the gameplay, so I’ll keep an eye on it and maybe pick it up again in a few months’ time if it improves.

5. Ejia says:

I wonder how many parkgoers eaten by dinos it would take before people stop visiting your park.

6. DEspresso says:

55€ and I see it already has a 10€ DLC, that’s quite steep for a game whichs replayability seems vague.

7. Cyroch says:

I am actually quite happy that the focus is less on creativity. I liked planet coaster, but I never had the time or patience to muck about with the modular buildings, and the plane basis just looked rubbish. Also, as I discovered, I seem to be completely unable to produce anything remotely good-looking, even if I try.

• ludde says:

I too would prefer just a solid management game, though from what I hear this is not it.

• AlienEyes says:

The focus of the game seems to be “Dino escape!” – how to avoid it, what to do when it happens… The only time the visitors actually do something in the game is when a dino escapes.

They heard people talk about Operation Genesis and how some people loved to react to their dinos escaping from their park, and that’s what they worked on for marketing reasons. Same reason why they made pretty dino animations.

Otherwise it’s an empty shell without management nor creativity involved. No replayability, of course. But thanks to its story mode it managed to seduce both the public and most of the press. That shows the importance of a first impression… But it doesn’t make this game any less garbage.

8. fish99 says:

Curious why it costs nearly £20 more than I paid for Planet Coaster. Is it the license, or is £45 the new price for PC games? Either way it’s too much.

• Artist says:

Uh, let me guess: Its not because of greed, but to not be unfair towards console monkeys, who pay a higher price…. Yeah, my rear..

9. racccoon says:

Narrated by the best, it seems long drawn. Truth is they{some country} are actually cloning a dinosaur as we type, so this may become a reality. Maybe cloning dinosaurs might see the greatest fight of mankind! Robots versus dinosaurs, we can hopefully..just watch.

10. SomeDuderr says:

This looks like absolute garbage (No, not the visuals) and disgustingly overpriced.

11. Captain Narol says:

If you just want to build a dinosaur ecosystem, there is a better and cheaper option, Tyto Ecology :

link to store.steampowered.com

With its Cretaceous Mongolia DLC (Dinos are not in the base game) :
    link to store.steampowered.com

Their dinos are a lot more conform than those of Jurassic Park/World to what we currently know of them, in addition.

Comment on this story