Maneater is Jaws: The Game, and we’re Jaws

After making teams of sharks fight teams of divers in multiplayer seafest Depth, creative director Alex Quick seems to have decided, you know what, stuff humans, sharks are way cooler; so his next game is solely about a giant shark eating everything in its path. Swimmers! Alligators! Fishermen! Whales! Sailors! Sunbathers! Developers Blindside Interactive and publishers Tripwire today announced Maneater, which is a–and I never thought I’d write this–singleplayer open-world action-RPG starring a ravenous shark. Sure, sure, sure, okay, gotcha. Here, watch the announcement trailer.

What’s the backstory? I’m glad you asked. Apparently we were cut from our mother’s body and left to die, and we’re not best pleased. The blurb explains:

“Set in the unforgiving waters of the southern US Gulf Coast, players will fight to survive in rivers and streams as well as the open ocean, with danger lurking at every depth. Their only tools are their wits, their jaws, and an uncanny ability to evolve as they feed. Anything and everything is on the menu… kill or be killed. In this tale of revenge, players can take on the role of an ever-evolving shark and terrorize the coastal waterways, tearing swimmers and divers limb from limb, giving the humans a reason to fear what lies below.”

TALE OF REVENGE! And yes, it’s an action-RPG because you can “evolve” your shark with different stats and abilities.

2006 shark ’em up Jaws Unleashed proved a cult hit for, y’know, letting you be a shark and eat everything – despite being a well rubbo game. If Maneater is any good, it could be a right lark. Though, to be honest, I don’t want all that gore and murder, I mostly want to zip through the pretty-looking sea and waterways.

No firm word yet on when Maneater is coming, but a Steam page is up for wishlisting purposes. See the game’s site too. Developers Blindside Interactive are headed by Alex Quick, who was creative director on Depth at Digital Confectioners and is also the fella who created the original mod version of Killing Floor.

This is one of the first two games Tripwire are publishing with their newly-formed third-party publishing division.

Check out our E3 2018 tag for more announcements, trailers, news, and goodness knows what else.

1. Raelalt says:

Sharks! I can play as a shark! It’s an RPG? Damn, you’ve got me.

2. Phasma Felis says:

Hey, I remember that one! IIRC, you had to collect keycards from victims to access new areas. As a shark.

3. durrbluh says:

Looks a bit more like Hungry Shark Evolution in regards to the whole “shark meanders onto shore to eat a dozen people” thing.

4. Mud says:

I don’t think I’ll sink my teeth into that.

5. Dewal says:

Reminds me of Mad Shark. A very simple game with a satisfying sound when you chomped things.

6. LennyLeonardo says:

Finally! I’ve been waiting for an open world survival/action game in which the player character is an animal (that weird Japanese Post-apocalypse one notwithstanding). Wolf pack RPG now, please.

7. Ergates_Antius says:

I wonder if there will be a no blood/gore patch for this. My son is obsessed with sharks, I’m sure he’d like this.

8. Pigswillfly says:

I like that it looks to be based on the Bull Shark which does grow up in rivers before heading out to ocean waters.

9. KingFunk says:

Woa-oh here she comes!

10. pookie191 says:

Anthem.. meah.. Fallout 76..meh.. MANEATER!!!! Yeah that’s more like it

11. Splyce says:

This is so, so deeply dumb. After decades of conservationists trying to convince the world that sharks are not our mortal enemies, and having many species pushed to the brink of endangerment or extinction because of fin harvesting or culling due to misinformation, here we are again. Between this and Raft, the man-eating shark trope is alive and well and going through another boom cycle.

Just seems a little irresponsible and stupid to me. I shouldn’t expect nuanced understanding from video games as a whole, I know, but this keeps rubbing me the wrong way.

• Archonsod says:

Raft doesn’t feature a man eating shark so much as a big daft puppy that keeps chewing on the furniture.

• Mungrul says:

I dunno, I view this alongside those daft, schlocky horror films you’d pick up from Blockbuster when you couldn’t decide what else to watch. Occasionally, one would turn out to be an absolute gem, but they were never meant to be taken seriously.

The night we rented People Under the Stairs and Evil Dead 2 was a very good night.

This could probably be compared to Deep Blue Sea, an enormously stupid, enormously enjoyable film.

Wot I’m saying is, I don’t think this is going to have a big enough impact on society to reinforce bad shark stereotypes, so just enjoy the stupidity of the whole thing.

• CheeseFarts says:

An here I was thinking, that after years of stupid discussions people agreed that computer games are just fiction. Unless we don`t like the content it seems.

But hey, just make a game with a nice shark so all the hard work wasn`t for nothing…

• TheAngriestHobo says:

Tropes are not bad.

Besides, there should be a place in this world for art that isn’t actively trying to persuade people of something.

12. Jernau Gurgeh says:

Looks great fun, but probably not as much fun as an adaptation of Viz’s Pathetic Sharks.

link to viz.co.uk

13. Captain Narol says:

I, for one, Welcome our new Shark Overlords !

Hyped, even if it’s probably gonna be a very dumb game… I just want to feel what it is to be a shark !

Comment on this story