Rapture Rejects is battle royale in Cyanide & Happiness

rapture-rejects-1

The battle royale bandwagon continues to trundle along the great gaming highway, picking up anyone who can muster 100 or more unruly homicide fans. This time, the makers of near-the-knuckle comic Cyanide & Happiness are clambering aboard. Rapture Rejects is a top-down isometric battle royale, announced at the PC Gaming Show during E3. And it’s set in a world that’s been left behind by all the best people. Yeah, that sounds like a battle royale, all right.

“100 players drop into a world that only one can survive in,” says the Steam page that’s just gone up. “Scavenge for resources and fight off enemies until there is only one person left. That person gets to go to heaven.”

It’s being developed by Galvanic Games, makers of some cartoony stuff I haven’t played, and published by tinyBuild, who’ve got behind some good things in their time, including Streets of Rogue, Speed Runners, Mr Shifty and The Final Station.

I haven’t read any Cyanide & Happiness comics since I was a young and ignorant enough to laugh at things like cancer. Are they still well dodge? Given the quality of the chat on the average plane journey in Plunkbat, I’d say there’s enough of an audience for that kind of humour in a kill-or-be-killed world.

Check out our E3 2018 tag for more announcements, trailers, news, and goodness knows what else.

1. Viral Frog says:

“I haven’t read any Cyanide & Happiness comics since I was a young and ignorant enough to laugh at things like cancer.”

Lighten up, Brendan! Everyone dies. Don’t let that spoil your time while you’re still alive. Laugh at all the things until you’re too dead to laugh anymore.

• Don Reba says:

Hoping RPS has another writer to do the cancer jokes.

• aepervius says:

I was about to answer “if you are not understanding why people make cancer joke, then you may not have left that young and ignorant phase”. It certainly helped quite a few folk I know to joke about it rather than go into depression-ultra mode.

• klops says:

Also the quality of the jokes they produce might have an effect. Those gags at the end of a trailer are supposed to be funny. This is just… lame. Lame while trying to be rough.

I’m not that familiar with cyanide and happiness, but usually you put the fun stuff in the trailer.

• HiroTheProtagonist says:

Cyanide & Happiness fell victim to Penny Arcade Syndrome. Their work used to be subversive, but the creators have been at it for quite some time, and nowadays they’re in too deep to stop.

Granted, the only long-running webcomic I’ve read that managed to avoid PAS was Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, since it made the switch from pure black comedy (most of the early jokes involved clubbing puppies or denying insulin to diabetics) to more math/philosophy jokes (though Zack Wienersmith does tend to insert sex humor wherever possible).

2. Seafoam says:

Ugh, I’m glad this kind of humor is no longer my thing at all. Best that it be left and forgotten in 9gag or something.

3. mitrovarr says:

Wow, is dark humor out of favor there or something? I thought it seemed like a pretty funny idea.

• Xzi says:

Seriously, bunch of sticks in the mud here.

“I don’t find this type of humor amusing.” Well that definitely makes you more mature than everyone else and not just a joyless buzzkill. Definitely.

4. aircool says:

Heh. Young and ignorant people who think that they’re older and wiser, but still young and ignorant to us old gits :)

5. Evan_ says:

You are mean! That’s the first BR game with a story! I also giggled while watching the trailer, despite being no C&H fan.

6. Kiall says:

‘Are they still well dodge?’

Kind of ironic to be condescending about people’s level of maturity when you sound like a 13 year old from Grange Hill.

Comment on this story