Session could well be the best thing since sliced Skate

Session

Skateboarding games just haven’t been in vogue these past few years. Ask around, and you’ll find near unanimous agreement that the genre peaked with Skate 3 back on the Xbox 360 & PS3, and has struggled to find its footing ever since. Creā-ture Studios’ Session, shown during Microsoft’s big E3 presentation, looks like a return to form. Unlike the EA-backed Skate series though, Session comes from humbler origins, and was kickstarted just last November to the tune of CA$162,716.

Unlike the wild knockabout fun of the Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater series, Session is aiming for a more simulation-like experience in the vein of Skate. Controls-wise, this means that each analogue stick (do not even imagine for a second of playing this on mouse and keyboard) controls one foot, and by roughly imitating the motions that real skateboarders use to perform each trick, you’ll be able to kickflip, ollie and grind your way around with the best of them. Or bail spectacularly, breaking every bone in your body. Both are fun.

While I’m sure the developers of Session will put their own spin on things, if it plays anything like Skate then expect a lot of very precise motions required, much like in real skateboarding. Flick an analogue stick just a few degrees off target and you may put the wrong kind of spin on the board, and before you know it, you and your trusty flat wooden steed are going in different directions off the edge of a very high ledge.

Much like real skateboarding, a key part of the experience is recording your best runs. Nail an absurdly skilled chain of tricks with all four of your limbs intact, and you’ll want to switch over to the video editor side of the game, where you get to place cameras, adjust virtual lenses, tweak tracking and generally produce your own high-end (yet still VHS-styled) skate video, then upload it for bragging rights. If you’re out of the skateboarding loop, you’d be amazed at how popular this turned out to be with Skate’s fans.

While Session isn’t due to fully release until 2019, there is an early access release planned for before the end of this year.

Check out our E3 2018 tag for more announcements, trailers, news, and goodness knows what else.

Top comments

1. YetiOne says:

Hey guys I backed the Kickstarter on this and just wanted to let you know that yes it is definitely on PC and there has been a playable mini sandbox build of the game for quite a while.

They have 2 areas you can play in the build, a tutorial area that is very limited but more recently they added a warehouse type skate park with tons more to do.

The controls take a little getting used to coming from skate but they sink in after a while and you can actually pull off some great tricks, it plays well and looks good (believe it's on Unreal engine) so I'm excited for more.

The current build is only available to Kickstarter backers as far as I am aware.
  1. jeffy777 says:

Actually, Skate 3 was arguably the weakest of the series, which sadly led to the demise of the franchise…that and the fact that skateboarding in general took a substantial popularity hit towards the end of the past decade.

That said, I’ve been dreaming about Skate 4 for years. Hopefully this can live up to the legacy of Skate. Sounds like it’s very early in development and that the trailer isn’t real gameplay footage, so it might be awhile before we get it in our pavement-scarred hands.

• jeffy777 says:

BTW, this is coming from someone who bought an Xbox 360 just to play Skate 1 when it came out, so I’ve often dreamed about playing Skate on PC.

• MrMcDonald says:

Agreed. I still wish I had an Xbox 360 just for Skate 1 (and Fight Night Round 4!). The change in style with Skate 3 completely turned me off.

• jeffy777 says:

Exactly. One of these days I will have to get another 360 for those two games alone (great to see a fellow Fight Night fan too). Skate 1 was the smoothest and most polished of the series, without question. Skate 2 was pretty good, but it marked the start of the framerate issues, and the city just wasn’t as fun and well-built. I remember playing Skate 2 on release and eventually going back to Skate 1, with the 3rd installment being even more disappointing.

• Dominic Tarason says:

The other games have may have had the edge in some respects, but a lot of people are still *really* happy that the Skate 3 online servers went back up this week.

• jeffy777 says:

Of course, because it’s the only Skate we have at the moment. I’m not saying it was bad. It just wasn’t unanimously considered the best, as the article suggests. It didn’t even have local multiplayer out of the box, but was later shoddily tacked on with DLC, and most of the MP locations were pretty awful, not to mention the framerate issues that it still has even on modern consoles.

• HiroTheProtagonist says:

3 was the weakest in terms of world design and a focus on team-based play, but I’d put it on the level with 2 purely because of the park creator. I’ve put nearly 500 hours into Skate 3 over the years, most of them just making and messing around in custom parks.

Overall, every single entry had something that made it worth playing. 1 had those freeform video challenges and arguably the best soundtrack, 2 had the best world design for both realistic street skating and ridiculous megaramp-type stuff, 3 had hardcore mode and an endless sea of parks.

2. StarJuice says:

Hope this comes to pc as well and is well optimized.

3. racccoon says:

might be good :)

4. HotFightingHistory says:

Skate and Destroy party at Johnny Rad’s.

5. YetiOne says:

The controls take a little getting used to coming from skate but they sink in after a while and you can actually pull off some great tricks, it plays well and looks good (believe it’s on Unreal engine) so I’m excited for more.

• purpledoggames says:

There’s a free demo still available on the kickstarter page at link to kickstarter.com

The file is “Kickstarter_-_DemoV002.zip”. I’m not sure how old this is or compares to the current demo available for kickstarter backers.

There’s bound to be some crossover between people interested in skill based skate and snowboarding games, so I want to point people towards The Snowboard Game: link to store.steampowered.com

It’s also got independent 2 stick controls (one for rider one for board), is difficult to learn and very satisfying when you get it. It isn’t as polished as Sessions looks yet, and certainly doesn’t have the video editor yet. But if you are hanging for a boarding game on PC, I recommend it.

6. I Got Pineapples says:

I have a long standing theory that one of the most popular games of all time was actually Tony Hawk Pro Skating PS1 demo disc.

7. The_Hunter says:

The controls are bizarre and really unintuitive. So much so that my interest in this has taken a nosedive.

EA doesn’t own a patent or exclusive rights to the Skate controls, so I don’t see why they wouldn’t just copy that…

Waltorious says:

I wasn’t expecting Hieroglyphics. They cut it off before Del came in though…

Comment on this story