Skyrim mod The Forgotten City remade as standalone

The Forgotten City, a time-looping murder mystery which won an Australian Writers Guild Award as a mod for Skyrim, is becoming its own game. Developers Modern Storyteller announced last night that they’re “re-imagining” The Forgotten City as a standalone game in Unreal Engine. I missed the mod but this sounds like a fascinating Groundhog Day/The Last Express sort of time-looping mystery, sending us explore and alter the events that led to 26 explorers in an ancient underground Roman city being magically turned to gold after one breaks a law. Peep this trailer below.

I am very into this idea. Modern Storyteller gab about chatting, sneaking, investigating, threatening, and generally interfering to solve the mystery and discover different ways events could unfold, with a number of different endings for the time loop. It looks a real shiny place to explore, and not just because everyone gets turned to gold after someone breaks the cardinal rule.

For folks who played the mod, the new version should still offer surprises, set in a new city, offering new takes on characters, adding new music and new voice acting, and whacking in combat and climbing. And looking mighty fancy, of course. And not being mired in Skyrim.

The Forgotten City is coming to Steam in 2019. See its site for more. If you’re curious, you can download the original Forgotten City from Nexus Mods for regular Skyrim and the Special Edition.

Speaking of new lives from old Scrolls, Bethesda announced The Elder Scrolls VI the other day. It won’t be out for aaages but is now officially confirmed (as if there were any doubt?).

Check out our E3 2018 tag for more announcements, trailers, news, and goodness knows what else.

1. Lobster9 says:

I only played the mod last month so this is surprising news. It’s a great premise, and they injected a lot of creepy atmosphere into it, especially the opening sequence. I may well check out the full version.

2. HillDweller says:

Why must you guys write like coked out squirrels?

• rondertaker says:

why are you reading RPS if you don’t like how they write?

• Ieolus says:

Explain how coked out squirrels write, so I judge whether your assessment is accurate.

• ashleys_ears says:

Explain. I, too, have a burning curiosity to know the writing techniques of coked-out squirrels, and apparently you’re the expert.

• dangermouse76 says:

Are you a Squirrel ? Are you on the cocaines right now ?

• a very affectionate parrot says:

“Coked out squirrels” lol so randumb

• moufflon says:

I registered just to say how much I love the idea that some journalists write like coked out squirrels.
      I reckon this is the best comment I’ve ever read in any publication ever.

• something says:

I sometimes feel that way about some RPS stuff (not that exact expression but… you know) but this as plainly written as anything you’ll see on this site. Not sure what it was about this one in particular that pushed you over the edge.

• moufflon says:

That’s it! – It reads like it was written at the exact moment the writer finally lost their mind. I imagine they’re running through London naked right now screaming hysterically about squirrels..

• gwop_the_derailer says:

Well, consider me a fan of squirrels on drugs.

3. Jernau Gurgeh says:

This was an excellent mod that really stretched the greygoo in my skull. Good to see it freed from the shackles of Skyrim and existing on its own merits. I wish it well.

4. NiteNinja says:

This was a kickass mod for Skyrim SE. I spent 8 hours minimum in there, talking to everyone and trying to figure it out.

And the final item you get from “The Arbiter” is pretty overpowered too, especially if you also use the Dwarven Power Armor mod.

There are at least 8 different way to finish The Forgotten City, and its fun revisiting it every playthrough.

Comment on this story