Valkyria Chronicles 4 confirmed for PC too

Sega have confirmed that Valkyria Chronicles 4, the next game in their squad-based tactical RPG series set in a fantasy-tinged alternate world’s kinda-sorta-WW2, is indeed coming to PC too. Once again we’ll form a squad of BFFs, rumble along with our tank, get into all sorts of drama, and fight battles in a system that combines turn-based and real-time action. Previously Sega had only announced VC4 for console but I had expected this news, considering the original Valkyria Chronicles proved so popular when it finally got a PC release in 2014. Good, good.

For those who’ve not played the series yet, seeing as it’s mostly been on consoles, here’s some glowing praise from Rich Stanton’s Valkyria Chronicles review:

“. . . this is Sega’s near-as-dammit perfect attempt to take top-down turn-based strategy and blend it with significant parts realtime control. Hybrids like this can often go wrong, mixing elements and dulling them all, but Valkyria Chronicles intersects systems in a way that they cover each other’s weaker points. The cherry on the cake is how everything ties together around a squad system that takes account of interpersonal relationships, a multifaceted R&D arc, levelling up units, learning new battlefield orders, and a thoughtful, sometimes dark narrative reflecting on World War 2.”

More recently, Katharine recommended it as an entry point for JRPGs. In short, it’s neat.

Valkyria Chronicles is set in the same timeframe as the first game, focusing on a different crew. Meet the new lot (including the medic dog) in this trailer:

The game’s Steam page lists only a vague release window of “2018.” The console release is broadly slated for autumn 2018, so hopefully our version will launch alongside – or at least not too long after.

Though the best PC news of E3 is of course that Sega are bringing Yakuza to PC too.

Check out our E3 2018 tag for more announcements, trailers, news, and goodness knows what else.

1. Freud says:

The first one was excellent. A melodramatic merger of a Japanese take on World War I/II and turnbased combat, with a bit of sci-fi magic thrown in because why not.

2. malkav11 says:

So, we’ll go from the first game to the fourth. Can’t imagine that being a problem at all…

Not that I object to getting it, just would like to see the intervening games ported as well.

FhnuZoag says:

Game 2 was a sequel set long after the end of the war, and game 3 was a prequel to game 1 about secret black ops shenanigans. Both were made for the PSP. Game 4 is a Switch/Xbone/PS4 set at the same time as game 1, focusing on the ‘Edinburgh army’, which I guess is fantasy-Britain?

In any case you probably won’t need to know what happened in the intervening games.

• shde2e says:

At least they didn’t reboot it and called it “Valkyria Chronicles”.
      That would get confusing real quick.

3. Don Reba says:

Now, I feel pressured to finish the first one.

• Evan_ says:

Indeed. And I shiver from the thought of having to face certain characters again, not to mention the ones I never got to fight with.

That game is tense.

• CalvinCoolidge says:

I couldn’t do it. I absolutely loved the visuals and art style and thought the turn-based/real-time combat was a pretty original idea, but the over-the-top anime tropes, cringy dialogue/storytelling, and trial and error missions just murdered anything I enjoyed about the game. It was uninstalled after the seventh mission or so. I tried; I really did.

• SomeDuderr says:

Yea, it’s a shame that the game didn’t stick with the slightly more “realistic” tone of the first couple of missions. It had a lot of good motivations, like persecution of a religious community, resource scarcity, the works.

When the magical girls with massive lances started dancing around the screen, I suddenly remembered that this was made in japan. Still, I finished the game. Shame that I can’t actually remember how it ended, only able to recall the combatwitches and beyond-silly massive vehicles.

4. Plunkbat Oranges says:

Fan-patched V3 was better than the first in terms of plot. I sank over 100 hours into that on the train.

5. fuzzyfuzzyfungus says:

I hope the PC version gets some love on the controls side. I’ve very much enjoyed the current one(art style in particular is gorgeous); but the interface feels like it was specifically designed to violate as many PC conventions as possible, as oddly as possible; without obvious reason.

• shde2e says:

Better tank controls too, so our massive metal monstrosities don’t start spinning around whenever they bump into a pebble.

• fuzzyfuzzyfungus says:

Aargh. I’d been trying to suppress the thought of that. The rest of the interface was mostly just aggressively non-ideomatic(the book/chapter implementation, say, could not have been less suitable to the PC unless it forced you to move a ‘cursor’ with the arrow keys or something); but the tank was downright crippling.

With all movement draining AP there just wasn’t room for the damn thing to meander aimlessly over even the most favorable terrain and get stuck on the rest; but it sure did. The theoretical reason to not just armor-stomp everything was the double CP cost; but the fact that it took real luck to achieve more than about half the movement your AP should have allowed was a more pressing one.

6. Lord Byte says:

The problem I had with Valkyria chronicles, and a lot of the Japanese strategy games… Too many missions are made to be solved in one way and one way only, try anything else, you’re screwed. And not enough indication is given that’s the way, creating lots of trial and error and in some cases, a walkthrough, after which it becomes a cake-walk. If I wanted a puzzle game I’d play a damn puzzle game.

7. Viroso says:

“Peace is a beautiful thing, but it’s fragile. Once it’s broken it can never be made whole again” says the character, as she launches a grenade against another man and celebrates the kill.

Comment on this story