See Grim Fandango’s cast reunite for a live read-through

The main voice cast and composer of LucasArts’ Grim Fandango reunited last night during E3 for a live performance of scenes and songs from the splendid adventure game. The game turns 20 this year, and after all this time it’s just lovely to see them having a lark together, reading through scenes, gabbing about the game, and jamming (and singing!) those top tunes. Watch the hour-long performance, from Geoff Keighley’s E3 show, below.

God, Tony Plana sounds amazing.

The script read-through brought together Tony Plana as Manny Calavera, Maria Canals-Barrera as Mercedes ‘Meche’ Colomar, Alan Blumenfeld as Glottis, Patrick Dollaghan as Domino Hurley, and Jim Ward as Hector LeMans, with game director Tim Schafer as the narrator and special guest appearance from Brutal Legend star Jack Black filling in for a number of parts.

Music was provided by folks including original composer Peter McConnell, Grim sound designer Clint Bajakian (who also composed the soundtrack for LucasArts’ Outlaws), and Mark Griskey (who also worked at LucasArts, and later did music for Star Wars: The Old Republic). I’d forgotten how great some of these tunes are.

Grim Fandango turns 20 this October. After years of not being sold anywhere, it resurfaced in 2015 with a remastered version from Schafer’s new studio, Double Fine Productions. It’s still great after all this time, our Alec said in his Grim Fandango Remastered review.

Check out our E3 2018 tag for more announcements, trailers, news, and goodness knows what else.

1. Optimaximal says:

Outlaws 2 – that’s a game I’d like…

2. mrentropy says:

This is one of the few games I’d like seen made into a movie. Preferably with the original cast.

• Carr0t says:

That sounds amazing. I hadn’t realised Tony Plana was Manny (or who Tony Plana was tbh), until I saw him in the video thumbnail and went “Wait a minute…”

• TheSplund says:

Gosh! I remember him from the line ‘Oh yes, El Guapo. You have a plethora.’ and then saw him crop up in Ugly Betty and thought ‘where do I know him from?’ and discovered the Three Amigos appearance (as Jefe) – but I never realised that he was in Grim Fandango taht I’d played a few years earlier.

• I Got Pineapples says:

I can think of at least one significant problem with that happening.

edit: Or maybe I can’t.

I could have sworn James Gandolfini was in this for some reason. Now I look quite the fool.

Quite the fool indeed.

3. Shazbut says:

Haven’t watched this yet, but I was thinking the other day how maybe they couldn’t make a sequel because the cast is irreplaceable and now much older. So it’s quite funny seeing this and reassuring that Tony Plana sounds amazing. He went to the same acting school as me and I still haven’t gotten over that fact somehow.

• Shazbut says:

Ahh ignore me! They sound just the same. It’s great!

• DrollRemark says:

I was always torn by the fact that I absolutely loved the characters in this game and wanted more from them, and the fact that the story is just so perfectly self-contained and concluded that creating any kind of sequel to it would have felt incredibly forced.

• Shazbut says:

They could conceivably do a prequel where Manny is alive and we get to see how he died and what happened in his life that caused him to have to do community service for the Department of Death. So many opportunities for cool foreshadowing. Maybe he briefly bumps into the woman who later becomes the Meche we know, but they never really meet properly. Maybe Hector Le Mans was a misunderstood child etc.

Could be brilliant, but also could be dreadful and alienate the fan base. Maybe not worth the risk

4. criskywalker says:

I miss LucasArts games! I wish someone released a spiritual successor to Grim Fandango.

5. int says:

Thank you so much, I would have missed this if not for you RPS!

6. Rolento says:

Mr Rufus!!!!!!

Drib says:

It shone, pale as bone, as I stood there alone.
    And I thought to myself, how the moon
    that night, cast its light
    on my heart’s true delight
    and the reef, were her body, was strewn.

8. oueddy says:

Thank you so much for making me aware of this incredible thing

9. Arglebargle says:

Amazing soundtrack. Mostly recorded live in studio with top local musicians. Really brilliant at setting the scene, conveying emotional feel, as well as being enjoyable listening on its own. Nice to see and hear this….

10. sfury says:

Tony Plana’s voice gives me goosebumps. Great to see all the crew and that most of them can just reach in and get their characters voices out so easily after 20 years.

11. Captain Iglo says:

This kind of live performance is quite fitting for a game with such exquisite dialogue. I love it when the cast look/sound like they’re having a blast.

12. Shigawire says:

Watching this made me very happy. :)

Comment on this story