Fallout: The Frontier invites us to post-nuclear winter war

Fallout: The Ftontier

It is looking like a very fine year indeed to be a Fallout fan. Even if you’re not on board with Fallout 76 taking the series online, we’ve got two full-game-length mods on the way, both due out before the end of 2018. Fallout: The Frontier is an unofficial expansion for Fallout: New Vegas, and has you heading to the frozen north to aid a crew of New California Republic deserters in a massive new map (as big as the editor allows) against a well equipped enemy force. Check out the dramatic and explosion-filled new trailer within.

Unlike the upcoming Fallout: New California (which is an entirely self-contained adventure), The Frontier is designed to integrate itself smoothly into your adventures through the Mojave and have you first getting word of the northern campaign after you’ve got a few quests under your belt. It’s even designed to play nice with other major mods for New Vegas, including an overt recommendation that you use the Project Nevada gameplay overhaul, which I personally swear by.

On top of familiar sights such as ruined vaults, spooky caves, and miles upon miles of new snowy wastelands to explore, the trailer features some really interesting stuff, including tanks by the dozens, massive vertibird-assisted offensives, and even a full-fledged trip into space. Presumably you’ll be trying to take control of the orbital death-beam that is shown wreaking havoc across the battlefield. There’s even some more esoteric environments, including what looks like an abstract nightmare filled with wildly pulsating walls and flailing horrors. Spooky.

As with New California, The Frontier has been in development for years now and is apparently in the final stages of development. While the developers aren’t quite ready to give a release date, it is in the latter phases of testing and should be out this year. Fallout: The Frontier will require the Ultimate Edition of New Vegas. You can find more info and more trailers on its official site, along with a list of supported/required/recommended other mods here.

For reference, New California is due out on October 23rd and Fallout 76 lands November 14th. Here’s hoping for a mid-December release then, just to space things out a bit.

1. Andrew says:

Insert “Skyrim with guns” joke here.

But, yeah, looks good (I almost said “cool”, phew). Not sure why, but I find snowy games more interesting.

2. gabrielonuris says:

I completely skipped the snoozefest crafting simulator that was Fallout 4, so the last Fallout I played was New Vegas.

I’m desperately in need of a Fallout fix already, and I despise what is being made with Fallout 76, so The Frontier and New California will fit like a glove for me.

• Jernau Gurgeh says:

I think you should give Fallout 4 a go, especially as it’s cheap as chips now. It’s fun in its own way, sometimes more fun than previous iterations, if pretty shallow and pretty shooty. You can ignore the crafting & building crap. You can try and ignore the settlement rescue crap until you go insane. But there’s lots of diverting stuff to see and do, and it is very pretty, as well as pretty shooty.

• Nauallis says:

Also Jernau Gurgeh didn’t mention this, but there’s a lot of shooting, and usually there’s looting, occasionally without the shooting. But there is shooting.

• Seafoam says:

I can’t blame ya. Fallout 4 is kinda fun but it is inferior to New Vegas RPG-vise. I suggest modding, never fails to rejuvenate the games.

3. vukos says:

You should really indicate Frontier is a mod in the title of this story. I was all hyped thinking this is some yet unannounced single player thing from Bethesda when in reality its another overly ambitious mod that won’t ever see the light of day.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

I mean, it’s in the second sentence.

• Dominic Tarason says:

I wouldn’t have mentioned this at all if it was just a pie-in-the-sky ‘wouldn’t it be great if…’ type mod announcement. Instead, this is a very late-in-development trailer, and the mod’s Discord channel is full of testers deep into playing through it already. It’s definitely not vaporware.

• Evan_ says:

I find that notion a bit strange. When Bethesda releases a Fallout (or TES) game, many suggests waiting for modders to enhance and fix it.

Why is it a concern when they aren’t involved in the first place?

4. HeavyStorm says:

> It is looking like a very fine year indeed to be a Fallout fan

I’m a Fallout fan. I haven’t seen a good year since Bethesda turned my favorite RPG into ES with guns.

• Crafter says:

There is still New Vegas

But yeah I feel you, I have given up on the franchise.

• gabrielonuris says:

For me the main problem with New Vegas is the engine. It stinks of Bethesda all over it.

• Crafter says:

It is not great indeed.

Obsidian has done a good job at ‘un-bethesda-izing’ the game but they can’t compensate for the engine.

At the same time RPGs don’t really rely on flashy visuals so it does not bother me too much.
          The main weird point is when you participate in an ‘epic’ war with 30 characters.

I played with fan made textures. They don’t always fit perfectly with the original direction, but they mostly make a reasonably good job.

Lots of fan made patches to improve the experience as well, as with any ‘Bethesda-engine’ game.

• widardd says:

Try UnderRail. :)

• Nosebeggar says:

This. This times a million. UnderRail is the true Fallout 3 (if NV is the true Fallout 3 for you then UnderRail is 2.5).
        It is mindblowingly good.

• HiroTheProtagonist says:

I wouldn’t go as far as “mindblowing”, but Underrail is certainly a very good game that improves upon the classic Fallout mechanics with added depth and QoL improvements. The story was a bit forgettable, but I loved PSI blasting and setting traps. Also the developer has been very diligent with updates and content additions, which is very commendable.

5. PuttyGod says:

That was a pretty phenomenal trailer for a mod.

6. Syt says:

Good. Patrolling the Mojave made me wish for nuclear winter.

7. neofit says:

I always get excited when I hear that a new mod / complete overhaul / whatever is being done for a TES or FO game, but then I remember that after years none of those has ever been finished. Or maybe I keep missing all the final release announcements. Enderal was a welcome exception, and after 120ish hours in it I had no choice but to donate at a full game price.

8. ChefSquid says:

Bah, I hoped the trailer would have the song by Garbage in it… Boo, bad tagline developers!

Comment on this story