UFO sans DRM – XCom Complete Edition lands on GOG

XCom: Enemy Unknown

Is six years within ‘fashionably late’ territory? Better late than never, at least. Today, Firaxis’s alien-bothering turn-based squad tactics revival, XCom: Enemy Unknown has launched on GOG after over half a decade of the PC version being Steam-exclusive. Rather than divide it up, GOG are only selling the Complete edition of the game, including two minor bits of DLC and the rather more significant Enemy Within expansion.

If you’re new to PC gaming as a whole or have somehow avoided reading about strategy games for the past six years, welcome! XCom: Enemy Unknown makes you the sole commander of the Extraterrestrial Combat Unit, an international last line of defence against a potential alien invasion. Well, the aliens are here, so it’s up to you to manage bases, deploy squads to the front lines and try not to feel too bad when your bad micromanagement gets Ensign McRedshirt’s face vaporised by alien plasma fire.

Unlike the original Gollop Brothers’s X-Com from way back in 1994 (note the hyphen, and it’s also discounted on GOG), Firaxis’s modern reboot boiled down an intensely complex granular game of tactics down to something roughly resembling a board game with relatively easy to follow rules and an emphasis on doing everything you can to stack those vital attack rolls in your favour. It looks like Phoenix Point is on the way to split the difference between the two styles next year, too.

While it will eventually go up in price to £25, XCom Complete on GOG is currently 80% discounted down to a significantly more wallet-friendly £5.09, so if you’ve spent the past six years avoiding it, now would be a good time to pick it up.

Oh, and Commander? You may want to instruct your men to exercise restraint when using explosives.

1. NickAragua says:

Exercise restraint my ass.

If you’re not using grenades and rockets to blow up everything in sight, you’re not doing it right. Dr. Vahlen can just suck it up and make do with little bits of aliens instead of whole ones.

• Werthead says:

Especially the way the progression of skills works, Heavies can end up with 3 rockets per mission (2 standard + 1 shredder) and 2 grenades each. If you bring 3 Heavies on missions, that’s 9 rockets and 6 grenades right there, which is enough to tear through the ranks of most alien forces (or blast through scenery to allow snipers to get headshots). As long as you don’t mind reducing the amount of salvage at the end of each mission, it’s a perfectly viable way forwards.

2. Someoldguy says:

Colour me cynical, but I expect the £25 price point is only there to make people feel better about its almost continuous 50%-60%-80% off sale price.

3. Rince says:

Restraint? Using explosives?
    Just be happy than this is not the original X-Com. There I deployed entire units with Rocket Launchers, dynamite packs, the explosive ammo chaingun and later Blaster Launchers.

If there was some building standing at the end of the mission, was classified a failure!

4. nitric22 says:

I’m making a strong effort to get back into a DRM free lifestyle. GOG is becoming THE storefront to visit. At some point I’ll need an external 2TB drive for games. Rainy “no internet” days have to be on the horizon at some point, and I want to be ready. #zombieapocolypse

• BeardyHat says:

Trying to do the same!

I’m still buying the occasional thing on Steam–just picked-up Mad Max. Love it–but my go to now has been GoG for a couple of weeks.

I really hope GoG gets Workshop like support at some point, but until then, I’m happy that Galaxy now has cloud saves.

5. napoleonic says:

It’s a fantastic game. Buy it if you haven’t.

6. Jason Lefkowitz says:

The Steam version supports Windows, Mac and Linux. The GOG version is… Windows-only.

Wut?

• Janichsan says:

The Windows version is published by 2K, Mac and Linux versions by Feral. That wut.

• juan_h says:

Really? Damn. That happens with GOG sometimes. GOG only got the rights to the Linux version of Bastion a couple of years ago. The last time I checked they still didn’t have the Linux version of Expedition: Conquistadors. What they generally say in these situations amounts to “we’d like to sell the Linux version but can’t” with no particular reason given.

• pepperfez says:

I gather there’s a proprietary Steamworks Linux compatibility package and a lot of developers just don’t have the resources/inclination to go out of their way for GOG users.

• Janichsan says:

Feral and Aspyr – the developers and publishers of most of the more notable Mac and Linux ports (including XCOM and Civ) – are used to support at least two different sales platforms anyway: Steam and the Mac App Store. So I don’t think it’s a matter of resources.

The problem seems to be that GOG has no mechanism to decide whether the Windows or the Mac/Linux publisher gets the money. Steam has such a mechanism.

• Jernau Gurgeh says:

Had the same problem with Homeworld Remastered… on Steam it’s PC & Mac, but on Gog it’s just PC.

7. juan_h says:

We’ll, that’s awesome. It’s much too late to do me any good, but if Firaxis and 2K may were to one day give XCOM 2 or Civilization VI the same treatment that would be wonderful. I don’t hate Steam by any means, but I’ve always preferred GOG.

8. Vilos Cohaagen says:

Nice! I like GOG and my collection there is growing much faster than my Steam one these days. I’ll look at getting this there.

9. Jernau Gurgeh says:

I originally played this on PS3 and enjoyed it a lot, playing through the campaign in 30 hours or so over 4 or 5 sittings. Last year I got it on PC in a sale so I could play the included Enemy Within expansion, only to discover that it’s the exact same campaign as the base game, just with added gameplay bells and whilstles and extra alien types. Disappointment ensued, and I didn’t bother carrying on.

However, I just picked up XCOM 2 on PS4 as part of this month’s PS+ subscription freebies, so I’m happy.

• Herring says:

Just in case you’re not aware, the same applies to the XCOM 2 expansion as well. It makes _loads_ of changes so it’s _almost_ like a whole new game, but the campaign structure is the same.

So if that bothers you you may want to get WotC before you play through XCOM2.

• BeardyHat says:

Drop the cash for the Chosen DLC. It makes a lot of positive changes to the game to make it a lot more fun and balanced.

My wife and I are working on completing our second Commander Ironman WOTC campaign now. It’s really, really wonderful.

10. Pink Gregory says:

Is it likely that the 2K games (ie Civ IV and now XCOM) will appear on GOG connect some time in the future?

I’m likely to keep playing XCOM and would like it DRM free for a bit of futureproofing but I’m a little reluctant to buy twice. But then I suppose if I do I’m supporting DRM free…

Comment on this story