Cuisine Royale is battle royale about wearing a kitchen

Cuisine Royale

We’ve all thought it: what if we could cover our entire body in Plunkbat’s stalwart frying pan? Why should we be limited to covering just our posterior, when surely the rest of us is just as in need of protection. That’s the premise behind Darkflow Software’s April Fools’ gag, which has since been transformed into a proper game, Cuisine Royale. Hunt down 99 other people, all while wearing a kitchen.

My first game saw me murdered with nothing but some colourful boxer shorts and a knife to my name, but when I was filled with holes during my second match, I was a heavily-armoured kitchen knight. Pots, pans and even a waffle iron covered my squishy body, while a drip strapped to my back and the cigar in my mouth gave me some handy buffs. Sure, I still died, but I looked pretty cool.

All of these objects were pilfered from the ruined homes and barns of a World War 2 battlefield. There are trenches, jeeps, bunkers with functioning gun emplacements — it’s all a bit weird when juxtaposed to all the players, stripped down to their pants, fighting over utensils. No doubt it has a lot to do with Darkflow Software’s other in-development game: Enlisted. It’s a World War 2 squad-based MMO.

Aside from the setting and what you can stick to your body, Cuisine Royale is otherwise nearly indistinguishable from PUBG. You spawn in the map rather than dropping in, but from there it’s all very familiar. You run around empty buildings and fields of wheat, desperately searching for weapons and equipment, all the while trying to outrun the shrinking circle.

The addition of proper, defensible bunkers might mix things up a bit more in team fights, however. I’ve only played solo, so there’s only so much I can do with a wee citadel to myself, but with chums on the fixed guns, it’s not hard to imagine some proper sieges kicking off.

Cuisine Royale is free on Steam, but come June 25 it will become a premium game. If you grab it before then, however, it will be yours to keep.

1. caff says:

This is bound to get panned.

2. Avus says:

I don’t like this game “secretly” install Gaijin client and made it harder to uninstall (no Gaijin uninstaller). Remove the game WILL NOT remove Gaijin client.

3. racccoon says:

Its the right heat for my frying pan, oils in, eggs and crispy bacon! yum munch gulp! don’t forget the fried bread! Iomw bts..np :)

4. Rezent says:

Sorry, but what is this doing on Recent News for PUBG? Also, Will the editors please stop calling it “Plunkbat” I understand you guys think that if your persistent enough they might change it, But literally no one besides you calls it “Plunkbat” or has even heard of that name. You guys have one of the biggest names and voices for steam games and were forced to look at these articles at the bottom of our steam games. The least you could do is make it about that particular game.

phuzz says:

“I understand you guys think that if your persistent enough they might change it”
      They’re not trying to change it, it’s just funny watching someone pop up every single time to say “actually it’s called pubgeeeee”.

JigglyNaga says:

I understand you guys think that if you’re persistent enough they might change it, but literally no one besides you uses “literally” to mean “figuratively”, or has even heard of that meaning.

• Dave Mongoose says:

Are the devs playing you to post this? Because the devs are “literally” the only people who seem bothered by the name Plunkbat.

• Rezent says:

I wish I got payed for it. In this sense It is Literal. If it Where Figural they wouldnt be calling it “Plunkbat.” Also, Im replying this for the community. I ask almost every person I play with if they’ve ever heard of “Plunkbat” and they respond with “What the **** is that.”

• Phasma Felis says:

I ask almost every person I play with if they’ve ever heard of “Plunkbat”

Wait, really? You’re that obsessed with it?

…You’re the same guy on every post, aren’t you? Every single Plunkbat post, there’s exactly one person raging about it. They’re all you, aren’t they?

• Rezent says:

Of course not. Are’nt you seeing the problem though? All you guys have raged about is me commenting rather than stating your opinion on anything Ive said.All you’ve done is just help explain that theres a problem.

5. Kunstbanause says:

I like the the asset flip looks better than the totally not an asset flip game.

6. jp says:

In before plunkbat goes sue happy again.

Comment on this story