Steam Charts: What The Heck Is Happening Edition

The identity of this dinosaur has been hidden for his own protection. His roars are provided by an actor.

As you stare out into the world, at the tumult and turmoil, perhaps you feel the only hope is to turn to the Steam Charts for its comforting predictability and stability. I’m sorry folks, but it’s all gone batshit crazy in here too.

A big part of having compiled this top ten grossing PC games nearly every week for over a year is recognising the patterns. I grew used to certain unchanging facts, like how Counter-Strike: Global Offensive would be at #5 or #6, that GTA V would be in there somewhere despite everyone already owning nine copies, Plunkbat would be at #1, and Witcher 3 and Skyrim would take it in turns to inexplicably suddenly be at #4. While the latter has, somehow, happened again, those other evergreen reliables have been absent for many weeks running, and it’s all falling to pieces.

No one is entirely sure by what arcane magicks the Charts are compiled, least of all we suspect, Valve. The method by which the same game can occupy multiple spots keeps seeming to be satisfactorily explained, then contradicted the very next week. But how in all of holy hell a middling management game based on a movie license has not only occupied three spots this week, but shifted Plunkles from a throne it was growing so used to it was starting to atrophy, we cannot fathom. And for crying out loud, ARK’s bloody back again.

10. Nioh: Complete Edition

No one tell me what's happening here.

And also responsible for a screenshot Adam took that I shall forever love, and never want to understand. Its mystery is what makes it so magical.

9. The Elder Scrolls Online

More grey than a Saga holiday to a cloud

Oh, and another £20 for the recent Summerset expansion, that Alec said was, you know, fine.

8. Dying Light Enhanced Edition

The light looks fine to me. Bloody whiner.

At two-thirds off, it’s not surprising to see Adam’s favourite (sniff, remember Adam?) back in the charts. Especially on the back of last week’s news that there’s a sequel on the way. (Brendy’s got a preview of that coming up later today.)

It’s at its low low price for a few more days, if you’re reading this on Monday. Monday the 18th of June. In 2018. On Earth. Earth 1.

7. Raft

FUCK YOU SHARKS

Hurrah! Update 1.02 is out now, and they’ve added a bow and arrow! Which can be used for both hunting sharks, and bloody gulls. Splendid stuff. More excitingly, they says it’s also added in preparation for later updates which will include more creatures. Ace.

There’s also now an FOV slider, and shark behaviour changes to balance the bow and stop it getting too powerful. I now want to play more Raft.

6. ARK: Survival Evolved

Look, I don't know. Dinosaurs and cars or something. I hope you all have a lovely time.

For a few more days you can get the ARK season pass for half price, if you want to. I’m sure you’re fine, ARK, but don’t start spoiling the charts again, cheers.

4. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – GOTYE

It's not Cyberpunk, is it?

Twas half price for a bit there. And honestly, ARK followed by this is giving me Steam Charts PTSD, so let’s move on quickly.

2. Plunkbat

Nothing makes sense any more. Third time this year it’s not been number one! Could it be finally loosening its grip in this Fortnite-focused world? Might it too opt for a F2P model to ensure domination continues? I absolutely flat-out couldn’t care less. So this week’s music comes an entry early, and is an old favourite by Pilote:

5, 3 & 1. Jurassic World Evolution

Dinosaurs make excellent diving boards.

I’ve got nothing. A middling park management game, based on a quite poor film, and it’s occupying every other spot in the top 5. And that’s despite its costing an absolutely idiotic £45.

Could it be simply that it’s created by Frontier? They’ve clearly developed some sort of evil space ray that causes terrifying numbers of people to give them unimaginably large amounts of money in return for gaming mediocrity. No one knew it could spread to their mediocre movie promos!

The Steam Charts are compiled via Steam’s internal charts of the highest grossing games on Steam over the previous week.

1. fray_bentos says:

Why am I here? Just why did I click? Why?

• Ghostwise says:

It was fate.

• waltC says:

I don’t know…;) But I’m here to say that I cannot understand why people look at “lists” compiled from Steam before they buy. First of all, I have to take Steam’s word for it, but more importantly, I never buy *anything* because lots of other people are buying it…! No–nevah…;) Indeed, I am often more apt to look at something closely that people say they hate or else really loathe–and may buy that, instead. It depends. But taking a vendor’s word for what “people are buying so you should, too” is a bit too much for me to swallow. Same with the woefully incomplete/inaccurate Steam hardware lists, etc. I know what I like and I buy what I like without regard for what the pack is doing, and many more times than not I wind up pleased. For me, that’s enough…;) I have one game out of this list–Witcher 3, and I bought that in 2015, IIRC. The rest seem infinitely dull.

2. Lacero says:

It would be cool if plunkbat was set in a dinosaur park.

Or, is that the steam charts ptsd talking?

• shde2e says:

You mean Ark?

• Lacero says:

Ark isnt a battle royal though is it? i thought it was a survive-o-craft?

• LewdPenguin says:

It’s a survivocraft, that got a BR mode, then the BR mode got spun out into a seperate thing, but than later I think that got squished back into being a part of the original game to become another mode within it again.

Or something like that, it’s a bit confusing really, but the simply takeaway is that yes you can battle royale it up with dinosaur pets in some part of ARK, somewhere.

3. Carra says:

I’m interested in Jurassic Park Evolution. I love management/builder games and I love Dinosaurs so that looks like a great match.

But I didn’t buy it. Weirdly enough I can find a copy of it for X-Box for €32. And for PC, the cheapest I can find is €50. I might buy it for ~€30 but not at €50.

• Arkayjiya says:

Same for me. Although it’s not as much a matter of price (okay it is a matter of price I’m really really not rich) than a matter of content.

Everything I had a slight fear about turned out to be as I feared it when I read the reviews (from the IGN one, to the positive ones), I know I’d still like this game if it has a little more content and a few more systems in it, so I’m waiting for a more complete edition in a year or so.

• Cinek says:

Here’s a problem with this game: there’s hardly any management and hardly any building.

It’s typical Frontier: very wide (a lot of dinos) but very shallow (no gameplay or management depth what so ever).

Seems like those guys don’t have a clue. But do know how to make an attractive-looking games, and JPE definitely nails the “looks” part.

4. Cederic says:

Does this mean we’re finally past the inflexion point at which dinosaurs take over from zombies?

Obviously this is a temporary peak, before pirates recover and resume dominance. Then we may get ninjas or we might go straight back to zombies.

• Dorga says:

very nice

• Dorga says:

also you can already see (sea?) the tide of pirate games looming on the horizon, with Sea of Thieves at the forefront.

• Hands of Orlok says:

What will happen when the dinosaurs, zombies, and ninjas get stale? They will add zombies. Just as always. Everything can and will be zombified. Zombies will always win in the long run. They have the advantage of being so infectious.

• shde2e says:

Don’t forget the robots! We’ll have our uprising any day now!

• Apologised says:

I could go for a another Binary Domain game for sure. But yeah, next will be pirates, then it will be Ninja’s and Samurai and then we’ll probably go back to Zombies.

• nunatak says:

With Sekuro and Ghost of Tsushima on the horizon, my bet is on ninjas and samurai. Wouldn’t be surprised if the next Assassin’s Creed after Odyssey were a similar setting.

5. Evan_ says:

Haha! Buying GTA V from that shifty keyseller site paid off – it’s not on the chart.

6. JohnnyMaverik says:

I’ve got something. Look at ARK, how old is it now? Recently off the back of some announcements and releases that got it’s community a little down. Not exactly the easiest game for people to just pick up and play and requires a HUGE time investment to progress meaningfully, yet it’s in the top 10.

Jurassic World Evolution, I paid for it, I knew the price was ridiculous, I read some reviews before hand that gave me pause for concern. I’ve enjoyed the game overall but it’s not with out frequent frustration about countless systems and design decisions that make little sense to me and it certainly doesn’t seem as fleshed out when you dig a little way beneath the surface as I would have hoped or even expected.

But dinosaurs are really cool and people like them. That’s why I own both those games. I remember when my friends asked me to buy ARK and play with them and my initial response was fk no, I hate those kinds of games, I don’t have time for it go away. Then I looks at the trailer, heard them talk about it and it won me around mostly because I wanted that dinosaur experience. Same with Jurassic World Evolution, I paid a lot of money for a game I was pretty sure I would find less than ideal because I like the concept of managing my own Jurassic Park so much. I don’t think either are bad games, I think ARK is incredible if you can afford to invest the thousands of hours (and more importantly get a group of friends willing to do the same) you need to really get into it. Jurrasic World… a lot more meh if I’m honest but it’s packed with potential, just seems in conflict with itself and the experience it’s trying to deliver so often. But there is that gap, I like dinosaurs and there aren’t a lot of options that aren’t actually terrible. Looking at the charts I would assume that I’m not alone (although it’s of course possible I’m missing something that there are other reasons).

7. Mahovu82 says:

Jurassic World Evolution was/is big with Twitch streamers, which might explain the popularity.

• AngoraFish says:

Also, a week before the Steam Summer Sale so volumes are way down as people hold onto their wallets.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I don’t know how large an influence Metacritic is, but Jurassic World Evolution currently has a score of 75/100 based on 19 reviews and a user score of 8.0/10 based on 99 ratings.

On Steam, it’s Mostly Positive with 72 % of 5426 review liking it.

• brucethemoose says:

Some devs/publishers apparently use Metacritic scores as a measurement of success, so I’d say it’s pretty significant.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Yes, I’m aware of that, but that doesn’t explain the commercial success. Do people look at the Metacritic score and go “it’s above my arbitrary score threshold, so I’ll buy it”.

• Caiman says:

Maybe they’re like me, and look at a wide range of reviews and decide, on balance, that they want to buy it. RPS doled out one of the worst reviews along with IGN, but most people seem to have a great time with it, myself included.

8. bretfrag says:

“Proving far more popular than Nioh: Incomplete Edition, this is the game that Dark Souls so blatantly ripped off.”

‘this’ is the subject of the participle ‘proving’, so you’re saying that Nioh has proved more popular than itself.

ooshp says:

You wrong that read and mist the joke.

• John Walker says:

I so love having grammar mansplained to me by someone who’s not actually read the words on which they’ve based their lecture series.

• King in Winter says:

Since the nickname is ambiguous at best, it should be pointed out, in the interests of inclusivity, that you may also be getting womansplained there.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Also a man cannot be mansplained to, that’s kind of the whole point of the term: to point out a specific phenomenon of men being condescending to women. Not just “man explaining thing”.

It’s feminist lingo, not general internet jargon to wheel out whenever someone is being annoying.

• Shacklestein says:

For general and unspecified usage, I like “jerksplaining”.

(Especially since I just made that up.)
            ((All other instances of the word that may or may not turn up in an online search are a result of an error in the space-time continuum which will be corrected as soon as my time machine is operational and my hand-held death ray fully charged.))

• John Walker says:

I think you’re right, but sometimes no other term better captures the tone.

• icarussc says:

Mansplaining: Inception.

• Cederic says:

Now now, if John wants to use bigoted terms then let him. Clearly the word condescending is too difficult for him to spell.

• podbaydoors says:

Oh neat! RPS has a block function. How did I miss that?

• bretfrag says:

Ironically there have been many genuine examples of dangling participles I didn’t bother to point out that led up to this comment by which I’ve made such an ass of myself.

• gi_ty says:

Well if it helps assuage your ego a bit, it did make for an entertaining comment thread and helped make my morning a bit brighter, so props to you sir/madam and/or gender nonspecific android.

• Don Reba says:

I so love having grammar mansplained to me

“If you were a man and I were a woman, this would be pretty patronizing. How dare you?!”

• Arkayjiya says:

It’s less about the patronizing tone alone, and more about the fact that it’s combined with the person not even bothering to understand the sentence and forgot a huge part of language: semantic in their analysis.

Still I wouldn’t use mansplaining outside of its intended context.

• Don Reba says:

Accusing everyone who has ever missed a joke of “not even bothering to understand the sentence and forgetting a huge part of language” is a little harsh, don’t you think? :)

9. lancelot says:

Maybe the charts take into account the total revenue from the game sales, in-game transactions and DLCs? Would that explain CSGO and GTAV?

Also, why would you have your wallet in your pocket while playing a video game.

• mitrovarr says:

Do you always dump out your pockets before you sit down to play a video game? I don’t.

• gi_ty says:

You should! Sitting on an uneven surface (even slightly)for prolonged periods can cause scoliosis and lower back pain! ddddddddddrrrrring The More You Know!

• lordcooper says:

You’re sitting down wrong.

Sit on your arse, not bizarrely twisted to the side.

Unless you’re keeping your wallet in your back pocket, which is even weirder. If this is the case then you will be up against the wall when the revolution comes.

• Nauallis says:

And they won’t even be up against the wall straight. They’ll be all janked to one side. Weird-ass back-pocket-wallet-wielders.

• airmikee99 says:

Yes, yes, I do, because sitting off center because of a wallet is extremely uncomfortable.

“Hip Pocket Syndrome” and “Wallet Sciatica” are real things.

• LewdPenguin says:

Ingame purchases aren’t counted, and I believe DLC charts as it’s own entity if it generates enough £$. If ingame purchases counted DOTA and TF2 would be in there every week without fail despite being F2P, and CSGO would also be (even more) permanantly nailed into the upper reaches.

Valve do include ingame purchases for their end of year mega-chart of the top 100 games to make stupendous volumes of cash by any and all means though, which may be what you’re recollecting.

10. JohnnyG says:

Excuse me, Mr internet video game reviewer, but I happen to like Jurassic World Evolution.

I’m sorry if I have had the audacity to go against RPS’s god-given infallible opinion on this game.

• Pendragon says:

Forget it, JohhnyG, it’s Chinatown RPS.

• John Walker says:

You be sure to let me know where I said it wasn’t ok to like the game.

• welverin says:

Thank you for your apology.

• LewdPenguin says:

Very sorry but you are of course objectively wrong in every possible way, please purchase 50 CSGO’s and a minimum of 25 GTA5’s as penance.

• airmikee99 says:

I think your defensiveness is simply proof that you think it’s a terrible game too, but your pride prevents you from admitting it because you read reviews that it is a terrible game before you bought it. Now you’re mad at reviewers, not for warning you, but for being unable to stop you from making such a bad purchase.

• AugustusCaesar says:

God, how I hate people who think they know better than you yourself whether or not you liked something.

Maybe he just liked the Game and didn’t like the way the writer assumed (or seemed to assume) that because he thought the game was mediocre, it shouldn’t be a commercial success.

11. napoleonic says:

You don’t need to pay the subscription to Elder Scrolls Online to get hundreds and hundreds of hours of gameplay from it.

12. Archonsod says:

I think Jurassic World Evolution actually succeeds because it’s a mediocre management game. It puts the focus on the dino’s rather than the park, and it means the campaign tends to play more like a puzzle game than a plate spinning one. It’s also pretty forgiving like Planet Coaster before it.

• gi_ty says:

My enjoyment stems largely from being able to cruise the jeep and chopper round the park tranquilizing and medicating dinos. Plus when the raptors escape its even more fun! I only wish free build mode wasn’t gated by frustratingly small islands. Let me build my giant carnage world already!

13. Someoldguy says:

Tens of thousands of parents trying desperately to get their kids to play something other than shooty-bang games with added dance moves may have something to do with the popularity of JWE.

14. magogjack says:

Clever Mr.Walker, you almost got me with that grammar trap in paragraph two. Lucky for me I have learned to reread before coming at the king.

Also people gonna love dinosaurs since there are hardly any games, let alone average ones, with them.

15. Dreskar says:

“Gaming’s greyest game, it’s found its way back into the charts through a half price sale, which made it but £7.50. Then again it’s also £9 a month to subscribe, and then there’s the Crown purchase options…

Wow… starting off with a poorly attempted hot take on a color pallet it doesn’t have, transitioning to false information implying a subscription is required (spoiler alert, it hasn’t been for many years) and then trying to jump into a ‘this new fangled MMO thing is weird’ at the end while games still exist that do the thing you are whining about and you can play ESO from beginning to end without opening your wallet ever again, like holy hell no wonder they have you write the no content lists. You aren’t talented enough for anything else.

We get it, you never even looked into the game once and decided to try and do jokey jokes to make up for your terrible work.

• magogjack says:

You just got Walkered !

Seriously there is no point in actually arguing with him, its like peeing on someone who likes golden showers, just giving him what he wanted in the first place.

• Dreskar says:

This may be true, I mean it is RPS, but my god the level of terrible in the writing he has is amazing. Telling people they can’t like Jurassic World Evolution unless it is some kind of mind control, telling Ark not to mess up the rankings again, you can tell Walker is touched in the head.

I suppose if it is his kink to annoy others then eh, he is at least good at being shit enough to do it.

• John Walker says:

Nothing tastier than ESO fans.

• magogjack says:

Why do I love you so much ?

• Dreskar says:

Sorry not an ESO fan, happen to be a games critic, reviewer and professional writer. I just get tired when I see ‘writers’ like you that are essentially glorified parrots who just regurgitate information that can be found anywhere else that have to try and do jokey jokes and hot takes to make content. Perhaps when you eventually get some talent and can move on from listicles to do games you have actually experienced then we can see if your writing, which given this article is very shit, can improve.

• icarussc says:

Seriously? Listen friend, maybe when they gave you your Pulitzer prize they forgot to explain that basic courtesy should prevent you from strolling into someone else’s house, throwing his dinner on the floor, and farting in the dining room. If the oeuvre of John Q. Walker aggrieves you so much, then complain about it in your place of writing (The Guardian, I assume, or perhaps The Atlantic?), not his.

• John Walker says:

You make some excellent points. If I can only step up from my sole role as the author of this weekly column, and get any experience in this job, perhaps I’ll be able to polish the boots on your shoes.

One day I hope to be the sort of person who could write something as magnificent as this:

link to rockpapershotgun.com

• Artist says:

Wait a second! Didnt John get a pulitzer when he knocked up that old man? What was his name? Peter-something…??
            That was schoolyard narcism at its best!

• Nauallis says:

What the hell is a “color pallet”?

• FredSaberhagen says:

How programmers get colors delivered to the studio. They order in bulk , usually have to forklift it in, get better pricing that way, obviously each individual game only gets a small amount of that color

• Seyda Neen says:

I like ESO, but so many regions have subtly muted, ugly colors.

16. fish99 says:

Of course real games for real gamers came in cardboard boxes not plastic :p

17. Imperialist says:

John is so salty about everything, he must hail from Carthage.
    That aside, this list is pretty messed up. No CS:GO or GTAV? PUBG at 2? Has the rapture begun, slowly and silently and we didnt know it?

In ancient times, there were events that were perceived as shifts in fortune, for good or ill. Comets in the sky, the sun turning black. Swarms of locusts, gorging themselves on crops overnight. Popular video games suddenly turning sour and unwanted. These were known as omens, or portents.

Surely…this is the end times?

18. lordcooper says:

“They’ve clearly developed some sort of evil space ray that causes terrifying numbers of people to give them unimaginably large amounts of money in return for gaming mediocrity.”

Bethesda must have lent it out for the weekend.

19. Professor_Goat says:

lmao another salty critic with empty material in another article that wastes our time. Only thing worth value reading are these comments. lol It’s so saddening to see game critics regurgitate malarkey like a cnn/fox news caster. lmao the pc community needs actually game reviews, not this rubbish. Walker has some serious insecurity issues. Find a new hobby, bud.

20. LordDay says:

“Younger readers may be interested to learn there used to be a time when you went into something called a “shop”, and bought a game in a plastic box, and then you just played it until you were done, with your wallet in your pocket.”

Older readers may also be interested in this game that all their friends played called World of Warcraft where you paid $60 for it, $15mo to played the game you owned, and $40 to keep playing new stuff in the game you owned every year. Also you can now pay $60 to not play the game but still get a high level character. Oh, that’s just a new thing, not from “your day”? Well I see your articles about buying every new WoW expansion and playing it through for your precious nostalgia.

That being said. I like ESO too. :)

21. Yukisuna says:

I just want to point out that Elder Scrolls Online did away with the subscription thing over a year ago. You should correct your article.

• John Walker says:

From their current Steam store page:

• Professor_Goat says:

again, you do not have to pay a subscription for eso. free play provides hundreds-thousands of hours of entertaining, quality play. i played hundreds of hours that i paid for, and hundreds of hours for free. eso gets so much hate, and its usually do to the player’s inability to “get gud.” lmao i paid for wow for years. eso is a relief. stick to hentai and pony games..that’ll probably entertain your low iq. hell, at least a review from you on that wouldn’t been caked in so much malarkey.

• mushufasa says:

But he’s not wrong.. He simply stated the price of a subscription, to which someone said they did away with subscriptions.. Then a screenshot of proof that there are still subscriptions… I really don’t see why this is so hard to understand.

If he had said the subscription fee was required, it would be different. However you’ll note he also mentioned purchasing crowns and DLC, which coincidentally aren’t requirements to play the game either…

22. TechnoKat says:

Literally just made a throwaway account because I can’t be bothered to actually use this website, but for the love of all things great in gaming, please be more thorough when you research things.

I don’t particularly care if you’re not a fan of ESO, mate, but the ‘$9 subscription fee’ is entirely optional so bringing it up at all seems like you’re being intentionally misleading about the fact.

• mushufasa says:

As I replied to the last guy, he never said it was required.. Why aren’t you complaining that he mentioned purchasing crowns or the extra content? Because he didn’t say they were required? Yea.. Think about it.

Ingix says:

John wrote: “Then again it’s also £9 a month to subscribe, and then there’s the Crown purchase options…”

Note that Crown is described as an option, while this is not mentioned for the subscription. I have no interest in MMOs, so I don’t follow how much any title costs. If it wasn’t for the discussion, I certainly would have assumed that the “£9 a month to subscribe” was *not* optional.

Now of course it’s a matter of debate if my assumption was correct, or if in this day and age a subscription is inherently understood as optional.

23. Floki says:

How can someone who pretends to be a journalist, be taken seriously while using metacritic as a reference. The rest of the article was already mediocre enough, with some poor attempt to troll people with different expectations, but I wouldn’t bet on this guy’s career.

Comment on this story