Modding tools will inject new life into Dead Cells

dead cells

Roguey romp Dead Cells – one of the best games of 2017 – is getting mod support, possibly as soon as this month. It’s been requested frequently, so the announcement still comes as a pleasant surprise, mentioned at the end of a brief update post yesterday. The early access game is also now available on Linux and Mac – just pick those versions in the beta branch.

Opening up the game to modders has proved to be tricky, apparently, due to how Motion Twin built the code, but it now looks like there’s just one hurdle left until the tools are ready to be released into the wild.

Internally we have a limited, basic mod support working. However, currently even very minor updates break compatibility instantly, which is kind of a deal breaker. Once we’ve fixed that, we will release the tools into the wild along with some basic documentation. Hopefully, as early as this month. So, if you’re interested in modding Dead Cells, please stick around, we will need your feedback to get this right!

If you fancy reading about the trials and tribulations of Dead Cells’ development, you’ll be wanting to take a look at this installment of The Mechanic, where Alex chats with Dead Cells’ designer, Sébastien Bénard.

Finally, there’s good news for font fetishists, especially those that also appreciate pixels. Yes, the pixel font is returning, but it’s optional. If you don’t like either, I suppose you can always make a font mod later this month.

1. Freud says:

Motion Twin comes across as very sympathetic developers and the game kicks ass in more ways than one. Hard but very satisfying.

2. vukos says:

Can they inject 21:9 support

3. DrJ3RK says:

This really is an excellent game in just about every way imaginable. I’d love to mess around with it a bit though, so this is really cool. I don’t normally mod games at all, but I have a few minor ideas for this game. (namely I’m a musician, and would like to try my hand at replacing the soundtrack, not that there’s anything wrong with the current one)

Very cool!

On 21:9, I understand the want for this, especially if that’s the aspect you’re running, but that does change the game dynamic considerably. It gives you and your character second sight. If you’re just playing the pure single player experience, that’s not an issue, but if you’re doing daily runs or any other types of leaderboard activity, that’s a bit of an advantage. (not that I personally care, but I see how that would be a problem)

4. ropeladder says:

I got dead cells 2 weeks ago and every time I bring it up to my girlfriend, she makes exfoliation jokes…

Maybe it’s a lot to ask for but I really want coop.

5. Meatbath says:

Get ready for lightsabers of every color under the sun and every character skin from Alucard to Zelda once this gets rolling. Should be a good time. Looking forward to trying my hand at animating a pixel art Link.

Really though, someone shake me when there’s a Solid Snake skin and guns are functional;

This game and I have to have a chat.

6. DanMan says:

Yay, Linux!

7. Catweasel says:

Hope it’s easy to mod out the awful new font they added recently, it’s way harder for me to read when playing and also doesn’t fit the aesthetic at all.

8. unraveler says:

See ID software? That’s how you do it!

Comment on this story