Welcome Noa Smith to RPS’s video team

noa-horace02

RPS is expanding so much that we’re introducing three new people this week. Here’s the first: Noa Smith is joining RPS to further bolster our YouTube channel. Please join us in welcoming Noa to the team.

If you’ve been paying attention, you’ll already have heard Noa’s voice on our YouTube channel. For example:

For the past few years, Noa’s been running her own gaming channel, Critique Quest, in which she produced video essays that spotlighted games for their stories, soundtracks, systems and more. She’ll be continuing that work for us while joining Matthew for more co-op sessions and conversational videos.

If you’ve been watching the channel so far, thank you for all your feedback. It’s heartening to see the mostly positive response, but it’s still early days. We’ve got a lot more planning and in the works for the months ahead, including actually sorting out some camera equipment.

Say hello to Noa in the comments below, and remember to swallow those like and subscribe buttons whole.

1. Jac says:

Welcome. Good to see the RPS Smith quota restored to its natural balance.

2. Zorgulon says:

I’ve been enjoying Noa’s E3 videos on the RPS YouTube channel – I wondered when we’d see an official introduction!

Welcome, Noa, and keep up the great work!

3. Gwilym says:

Welcome! That missed-games video is great. If your neighbours complain about the bits of Horace fur stuck in their roof tiles, just play them that video and I’m sure they’ll agree it was worth it.

4. Creeping Death says:

Is there any way to actually leave feedback on the videos, other that. Dropping comments on random articles like this? The forum has no section dedicated to video discussion and the RPS feedback subforum always feels quite deserted.

• phelix says:

You could just watch the video on YouTube and comment there, I suppose. Of course, you have to contend with the quagmire that is the YT comment section, but generally the commenters on RPS videos seem a fair lot, much like the site here.

That said, welcome Noa! The hivemind grows ever larger.

• Jac says:

I don’t tend to watch many videos as normally not in a place I can do that when I’m looking at the site.

A weekly Sunday Papers style roundup on the weekend of the weeks output would be good as a reminder for people like me to make some time to watch more stuff and as a place for discussion in the safe confines of the RPS comment section.

5. Hunchback says:

Welcome!

6. johannsebastianbach says:

3 New RPS Employees You NEED To Know Plus Everything What’s Wrong With Our Youtube Channel

I hope this marks the beginning of a new and more interesting direction for your channel. Personally I subscribed, got a few notifications for “Top 10 things to do in/Top 15 thing we learned at/Top 20 games in genre X” videos and unsubscribed again. Let’s see some of the videos of the olden days with interesting thoughts about game mechanics etc.

Welcome, Noa! Have fun!

• Creeping Death says:

Much the same experience as me. Combined with the heavily scripted approach and it all comes off a bit early adventures into video journalism circa 07/08.

• dangermouse76 says:

Seconded. Would love some deep dive stuff, maybe try to get some developer interviews on camera.

Balancing and mechanic choices, trinkets, odds and ends…that sort of thing.

• Matthew Castle says:

Yep, all this and more to come. We’ve been putting team together and getting stuff sorted, but plan for more analytical pieces (and some dumb stuff too). We’ve kicked off right at E3, where there’s lots of new information to impart and lists are an efficient delivery system for such things.

• nitric22 says:

In that vein if RPS were to create some content a la Mark Brown’s YouTube channel I would be in heaven. Mechanic analytics and breakdowns and deep dives into the nuts n’ bolts bits of games. Can’t wait if that’s the general direction.

• Sucram says:

So a few years ago we didn’t get many RPS videos, but they all tended to be a bit quirky, interesting and even fun. Whether it was Fail Forwards, or Rab Florence looking at board games, or board games guru Quinns looking at mechanics.

Recent content seems to be gameplay footage and top 10 lists. Which is.. fine. But well, it’s a bit bland isn’t it? It’s not like YouTube isn’t already full of thousands videos doing the same thing.

Graham Smith says:

What I’d say is: give us time. The goal is to have a three-person team with equipment to film at home, outdoors and in studio space. More unusual, RPS-y stuff will come, but it’s early days. Matthew started six weeks ago, Noa started just before E3, we’re still just getting the channel going.

The aim is to have a mix of stuff, in time. Yes, there will be some lists and coverage of events, just like there is on the site, because that stuff is interesting and useful and there’s no reason it can’t be entertaining and high-quality. New series in the vein of Cogwatch and Fail Forward will be a part of what we do as well, however! There’s a reason we commissioned that stuff in the first place, after all.

7. GallonOfAlan says:

Willkommen, Bienvenue, Welcome, C’mon in

8. tailzdru says:

Noa, please accept the welcomes of this long standing RPS lurker

QiVers says:

Welcome Noa :-)

I’ve been enjoying some of the videos so far. Hope you guys start doing more than list videos soon.

• Matthew Castle says:

How quickly we forget the time I painted my giant face onto a wall in House Flipper. (But: yes, plenty more interesting things to come.)

QiVers says:

Haha, great point. Didn’t mean to sound so negative, just excited for something with RPS’ voice in video format. I was actually in stitches watching that video :D

10. DirtyDivinity says:

In 1873 they voted videogames the worst place to live not on Earth.
    Main issues?
    Sky high rate of violence
    And more people living below the poverty line than anywhere else.
    Can’t deny it – it’s all true…
    But everybody still wants to live here.
    Games always have a promise for you.
    Might be a lie, an illusion
    But it’s there…
    Just around the corner
    And it keeps you going.
    It’s a place of dreams.
    And RPS people are big dreamers

…And great dream dealers.

Welcome, Noa!

11. JonPhillips says:

Welcome, Noa!

12. melancholicthug says:

Damn fine voice the lass Noa has on her.

13. tigerfort says:

Welcome Noa; I had wondered whether this was a full-time hiveminding or fitted in between existing videos. Looking forward to lots of Critique Quest-style stuff on the RPS channel!

14. DantronLesotho says:

Welcome! If the hidden gem video is any indication, there should be good stuff coming!

15. cpt_freakout says:

Welcome Noa! Looking forward to it :)

PS: I can’t read your name and not remember the Juan Gabriel song Noa Noa :P

16. Megatron says:

RPS: “We need someone to cover the new video stuff we want to do. Suggestions?”

Graham: “Hmm, let me make a call. I Noa girl….”

Welcome to RPS, Noa! :)

Aerothorn says:

Welcome!

Also: Graham, does this mean you’ll finally update the “About Us” page?

Aerothorn says:

Also: oh god three new staff members, the RPS Advent Calendar Guessing Game is going to be basically impossible now.

Graham Smith says:

I’ve already started to write it, I swear! (Yes, it’ll be updated later this week with all the new team additions – and the long ago additions.)

18. mac4 says:

Why, hello there, Noa.

19. caff says:

Welcome Noa! Been a YT subscriber for ages now and pleased to see RPS giving it some love. You have a pleasant voice (so does Matthew but it’s about 5% less nice).

I hope you’ll continue to discover and push indie gems at us. After all, anyone can make AssCreed videos. Give us more stuff like Unknown Pleasures please!

20. Son_of_Georg says:

Welcome, Noa! Excited to see what you’re going to do here at RPS. In the meantime, I’ll subscribe to Critique Quest. I hadn’t seen it before, but it looks great.

21. Mi-24 says:

Welcome Noa!

don’t look now but I think Horace may have eaten your washing line

22. Skabooga says:

More minds for the hivemind! Err . . . welcome, Noa!

23. Seyda Neen says:

Hurrah! Welcome Noa!

24. _Nocturnal says:

I’ve been somewhat critical of recent additions to the team, but this is joyful news! Excited to see what’s next.

25. Mister eX says:

Hya, Noa! Subscribed to Critique Quest, and just watched 4 episodes of your Alien: Isolation playthrough in quick succession instead of lots of stuff I planned to do. :D The game is one of my favs from about the last decade, so it’s not entirely “your fault”. :)
    Oh and I’ve watched your Hellblade review too, which I’ve loved too. The game, and the review. :)
    Hope you’ll create lots of content for RPS!

26. reddog says:

I do not understand the physiology of Horaces.

Is that his tail over the roof? Some sort of strange, nightmarishly long tail.

(yes, welcome)

27. syllopsium says:

Welcome Noa.

However, RPS, I don’t want to be a huge grump but there was the reader survey – which had bugger all options about ‘more written articles please’ and all the options for ‘you really want video don’t you?’

Thus, there is more video. Gosh. Who would have thought it.

Video that can’t be text searched, and has no bookmarks. If you’re going to do ten games at E3, please list each game and have a video mark for each game. I don’t want to search through the entire video, and in less than the video’s length I could have read a text based article and looked at the trailers for the games that interest me.

• malkav11 says:

Yeah, I’m all for welcoming more lovely people to the RPS fold but I have very little use for video content.

That said, I certainly don’t feel as though the written content that’s been the primary draw for me has suffered at all to date.

• John Walker says:

RPS has more written articles each day at the moment than it ever has had in the past. We have three or four written features going up every day – double that of a few years ago – and many more news posts.

It’s completely bonkers to pretend that our adding video to the mix is causing this to change!

Not least when we’ve had SO many written articles about E3.

28. Matt Eastwood says:

How awesome! Somehow I completely missed that you guys were even starting a YouTube channel. Really happy to see you’re expanding.

Welcome Noa! I look forward to more from you :-)

29. vahnn says:

Welcome!

Now, what are we to infer from Budget Pedobear raising a leg over the fence behind you?

30. Gomer_Pyle says:

Welcome, hope you enjoy your stay here! :)

(Please send help, we’re all prisoners)

31. SBLux says:

Welcome Noa. Come on in, the water is lovely (and has a hint of lemon because why not).

32. TotallyUseless says:

Hi Noa!

I just learned today that RPS has a youtube channel, subscribing!

33. gwop_the_derailer says:

Hi Noa. Will you start a playthrough of ARK SURVIVAL EVOLVED and call it Noa’s ARK?

NO! PLEASE DON’T HURT ME! HAVE MERCY!

Lo says:

Welcome, Noa, to the team! <3

35. Pyromanta says:

Loving the stealth relaunch of the RPS YouTube channel and Noa’s videos are among the best. Among the Gamespot and IGNs you guys pick out fun things and odd lists which breaks up the viewing cycle.

Bluerps says: