Fight a crazy comet in Darkest Dungeon’s new DLC

madness

Stress and madness simulator Darkest Dungeon is taking a trip to the farm in its latest slice of DLC: The Color of Madness. Out now, it sends adventurers to a comet-cursed farm where they’ll need to kill its denizens and survive an endless tide of monsters old and new, all trying to reach the resting place of the comet. Sounds like a lovely day out in the countryside. It’s also accompanied by a rather hefty balance patch.

New buildings, quirks and enemies have been flung into the game, along with an Endless Quest through which Red Hook have issued a challenge to players.

Survive as long as you can while getting lost in time and space, confronted by unending waves of enemies new and old, pushing ever closer to the crash site of the Comet.

Go on, then. Give it a go. The trailer doesn’t make it seem stressful at all.

The balance patch seems like just as major an addition as the DLC. It’s the result of months of reassessing heroes, abilities and trinkets, finalised after three rounds of changes. It’s massive, then, and potentially divisive.

It’s the nature of the beast that not all changes will be loved by all players. We know that, on occasion, something you love might be altered in a way you don’t like.

The working philosophy for this giant balance update was that we wanted to shore up *weak* classes/skills/trinkets more than we wanted to nerf strong ones. Yes, there are some nerfs, but I think you’ll find that those changes are much less frequent than buffs. Where possible, we tried to correct dominant strategies by providing alternatives that are similarly exciting.

The patch also introduces the musketeer class. It’s a mirror skin of the arbalest and was originally a Kickstarter exclusive. Now it’s available for everyone as free DLC. You can download here.

The Colour of Madness is live now, and you can grab it from Steam and the Humble Store for £4.99/$4.99/€4.99.

Drib says:

How long before someone decides that this expansion is about attacking people of color (of madness) and raises a bit moral panic over it?

2. LinasKK says:

So, will it make me want to smash my controller any less?

3. mitrovarr says:

I mean, copying Lovecraft’s style and tone is fine, but maybe don’t rip off specific stories exactly?

• GeoX says:

Because…?

• Viral Frog says:

Why exactly? The Lion King is ripped off from Hamlet. Avatar is ripped off from Pocahontas. 10 Things I Hate About You is ripped off from The Taming of the Shrew.

I can go on and on and on. There’s even a Wikipedia article dedicated to it. (Here: link to en.wikipedia.org)

I see no problem with people taking influence and adapting it in their own way. It’s the same thing musicians do when they cover another artist’s work, or when they use samples from another artist’s song. It’s a way of paying tribute to a great, influential person/band/what have you.

• GeoX says:

Not that this detracts from your point, but I’ve always found the “Lion King is based on Hamlet” stuff highly overstated. I mean, “king murdered by brother, son has to get revenge,” yeah, but that’s such a general description, and the actual plots of the two have basically nothing in common.

• SaintAn says:

Please do rip off Lovecraft stories and put your own twist on them. That’s exactly what I want because I love Lovecraft (minus his horrible xenophobia). The world needs more Lovecraft.

• Dave Mongoose says:

I would be more inclined to say it’s a pastiche for two reasons: a) the only thing they really have in common is the starting premise (the comet didn’t turn anyone evil or raise any monsters in “The Color out of Space”); and b) it’s not a particularly famous Lovecraft story so you can’t really accuse them of trying to cash-in on it.

If it was an expansion called something like “Cthulhu’s Call” then I’d be more inclined to agree, but Red Hook clearly have a deep respect for the non-mainstream Lovecraft – even their name references “The Horror at Red Hook”.

4. Viral Frog says:

My best friend gifted me this last night. I’ve gotta say, my first foray into the Farm was thrilling! I was able to complete every wave with only one loss. (A vestal with kleptomania. So, really, I gained more than I lost.)

5. piesmagicos says:

I just want a DLC that can remove the Hero’s name…I feel its much easier to play when they don’t have names…or feelings.

• Viral Frog says:

I like to role play that all my characters have rich, complex histories. It stings even more when they die that way.

Comment on this story