Alice Bell is RPS’s new deputy editor, come say hello

aliceb_horace-01

The final member of our troika of new hires is revealed: it’s Alice Bell, our new deputy editor! The RPS hivemind is restored – and the long national nightmare of me having no one to delegate to is over.

While Noa and Dave have joined RPS to help us expand into new areas, Alice is here to make the things we’ve always done better. That means writing and editing scintillating features, making sure our reviews are on-point and on-time, and generally supporting the rest of the editorial team to be their best selves.

I’m confident that Alice is going to be great at all of those things and more, because she was already being great at all those things and more as the editor of VideoGamer. For example, writing interesting articles about developers trying to make a horror game while living in the coldest city in the world, or trying to work out what liquid is inside Cuphead’s head (subtitle: “Is this vore?”), or definitely just interviewing Nate Crowley the once.

I couldn’t be happier that Alice has decided to join us and help make RPS better and also more. Not to raise expectations too high or anything, but oh shit: I think this might be quite good.

So come and say hello in the comments below.

1. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Hello! Welcome! Hello and welcome! Have a biscuit.

alison says:

Welcome Alice!

I have to say i’m very happy to see another feature writer coming on. The news crew is killing it already (great work on E3!), and the other stuff (videos, hardware) is not my bag, but i’m always here for more interviews and long reads and quirky stuff.

• SaintAn says:

E3 coverage here wasn’t very good tbh. To be accurate, it was very bad. They had huge delays between announcements and them posting about them for people not watching the stream. Took them around 30-45 minutes to even post about Cyberpunk’s announcement. Some other announcements got articles the next day or even longer.

To me RPS is a secondary site I use for stuff that the big sites and my feed missed, so I don’t really rely on them for big things like E3, they don’t have the connections bigger sites have either for exclusive information or direct source leaks for these types of events anyways. And that’s completely fine, they do their own thing and that’s why I’m here.

• April March says:

I’m pretty sure the reasons why RPS’ E3 coverage was bad and the reasons why it’s the only videogame news website I visit are one and the same… whatever they are.

alison says:

This, basically. I log on to RPS once or twice a day. Sometimes I have other things going on in my life and only pop by once every few days. I don’t need to-the-minute updates. I just enjoy sitting down to read articles about new computer games and interesting takes on gaming in general. I didn’t expect much from E3 given the team is mostly in the UK, but it turned out there was plenty of interesting stuff to dig through each day. Perhaps my standards are too low, but it worked for me.

3. Zorgulon says:

Monsieur RPS, with these new hires you are really spoiling us!

Welcome aboard, Alice :)

4. dangermouse76 says:

Welcome! Also Graham you can now go have a short nap, you’ve earned it.

QiVers says:

Greetings Alice!

I look forward to ingesting your words with my eyes.

6. Mungrul says:

Not only is this another Alice, but it looks like she swims too! Next you’ll be telling me her favourite games are Isaac and Devil Daggers.

Welcome, other Alice!

• shde2e says:

The hivemind is having Adam withdrawel symptoms, so now it’s trying to fill the void with Alices.

I’m certainly not complaining.

• April March says:

I welcome more Alices. The more Alices the merrier. Or at least the Alicer, and what’s the difference?

7. Solidstate89 says:

Hello new Alice

phuzz says:

Hello! Welcome!

The only question now, is what do we call each Alice so as not to get them confused? New Alice and old Alice? Alice OC and Alice B? This Alice and That Alice?

9. mrcheesecake says:

Glad you’re here Alice! I really enjoyed your work at Videogamer.

My main question is, will you be podcasting?

Anyhoo, congrats!

Graham Smith says:

The first ep with Alice on it will go live in a little under two hours.

• Jac says:

I hope it’s not phoned in, I know what you Graham Bells are like.

And Welcome.

• Donkeyfumbler says:

Not that its what you meant, but I thought it was a good enough lead-in to make a point I’ve been meaning to make for a while now, namely that there’s one very good reason why both the PC Gamer podcast (now sometimes featuring poor departed Pip) and the Crate and Crowbar (also sometimes featuring poor departed Pip) are, in my opinion at least, better than the RPS Electronic Wireless show – the former are recorded with all of the participants in the same room and the latter is ‘phoned in’ – everyone is talking over voice comms. Unfortunately it does make everything just that bit more stilted and less natural.

I know it’s kind of tricky, what with people spread out all over the place and especially with Brendan in Spain, but it would be great if somehow you could get all or even some of the people in the same room for the odd episode – it would make a massive difference.

• Stellar Duck says:

Is the PC Gamer one good again? Because I dumped it like a hot baby when all the guys that became Crate and Crowbar left. Actually, if memory serves, it became primarily a US thing? Maybe?

Anyway, is it good again and who is on it?

Serrit says:

@Stellar Duck (sorry too nested to reply directly :-) )
            I’ve been enjoying the PC Gamer UK podcast (alongside C&C and of course the RPS EWS) since it came back again.
            These days it usually comes out every month, with Sam Roberts, Phil Savage, and Pip (already missing Andy Kelly since he moved out of Bath).

Familar format of nonsense intro – usually apologising for another delay of the “weekly” podcast and how deadlines got in the way – “what we’ve been playing”, and reader/listener questions. And the obilgatory “good food/cheese/beer around Bath” sidetracks. Pip’s her usual fantastic self, providing plenty of opportunities for amusing/interesting tangents.

• Donkeyfumbler says:

There’s both a US PC Gamer Podcast and a UK one. The US one is OK and I’ll sometimes listen to it, but for some reason I find that American accents grate on radio and podcasts (no idea why as I watch far more US than British TV), plus again it’s all done over voice comms.

The UK version is great though. Phil and Sam are obviously good friends as well as colleagues and come across as both funny and knowledgeable. Pip also fits in well too, thanks to her tastes being obviously a bit more offbeat than the other two.

Compare it to the RPS podcast – you’ll see (or rather hear) that while all the contributors are great (especially John), they’re all unfortunately held back by being on a conference call.

• April March says:

I hope it’s not phoned in, I know what you Graham Bells are like.

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

10. JimTheReader says:

Welcome, Alice B.

Also, I always love the horace drawing. Good stuff, John. (is it John? pretty sure it’s him)

11. EvilMonkeyPL says:

Oh, hello. Great to see new (old) faces.
    Funny, ’cause E3 what just ended inspired me to re-play Fallout 4 and re-watch Jim & Steve Fall Out. The streams with Alice in them were good.

12. TheTingler says:

Hello! Congratulations Alice!

13. Grizzly says:

But when will you hire Alice Smith? :P

Also, welcome Alice! Good luck with keeping the crew in line.

14. cpt_freakout says:

Welcome, neo-Alice 2099!!

15. Andrew says:

North Alice and South Alice sound like legit geographical areas. Just thinking aloud.

Oh, sorry, hi! :)

16. DantronLesotho says:

Hello and welcome! I look forward to reading your hashtag content!

17. mac4 says:

And, welcome Alice.

18. TotallyUseless says:

Hi Alice.

Give the RPS crew a good lashing! Just kiddin. As always, more power to you guys.

19. Bull0 says:

Hi Alice. How does it feel to be part of a Troika? One imagines it to be uncomfortable

buenaventura says:

Hey Alice, how fun, welcome!

21. KindredPhantom says:

I just came to say Hello!

22. rustybroomhandle says:

Sounds like a ding dong.

23. Axyl says:

o7

How do, Chief :)

24. Mr Wonderstuff says:

Don’t mention Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

25. flibbidy says:

Good choice!

26. Syme says:

Delighted that one of Jim Trinca’s fake internet weans has invaded RPS.

27. Stellar Duck says:

Welcome Alice!

What will your email be I wonder, seeing as the other Alice has snagged the cool one.

Can you tell them to update their crew list below, because I need to update masel on who works here these days.

28. Seyda Neen says:

Hello Alice, welcome!

29. Captain Narol says:

Welcome to Wonderland, New Alice !

Bluerps says:

Hello Ms Bell!

31. Person of Interest says:

The Cuphead article is clever. The Nate Crowley running gag is baffling. I’m glad that RPS will now print more clever and baffling things.

Welcome, Ali B!

32. MrEvilGuy says:

Good hire

33. Gomer_Pyle says:

This is getting out of hand, now there are two of them!

Gnarl says:

Pirate Alice vs. Cyberpunk Alice!

Assistant vs News!

Who will win?

Hi.

35. skyturnedred says:

Just a quick question, is it mandatory for new hires to share a first or last name with an existing/former member of the RPS staff?

Gnarl says:

When they do, they find the hire after that is better, then the one after that is even better, and so on. It’s a domino effect.

36. shoptroll says:

Hello and welcome!

37. Rince Wind says:

Welcome to the only gaming site I use. Always nice to see new faces/Alices.

38. Skabooga says:

Welcome, Alice! I look forward to reading your words, and other peoples’ words that you’ve made better.

39. Sihoiba says: