The formerly Wipeout-inspired Redout: Space Assault ditches racetracks for tactical space combat

Redout

Redout, the F-Zero and Wipeout-inspired racer, is returning next year, and it’s looking a little different. Redout: Space Assault ditches the fixed racetracks of yesterday’s future, and instead heads out into orbit for frenetic stellar battles between dogfighting spaceships.

Get a taste of the new direction by checking out the teaser, below.

You’ll be flying Super Orbital Recond Fighters for either the rebels or the authoritative Colonisation fleet as they seek out a new home. You’ll be able to pick your fighter, customise your loadout and then jump into space for dogfights, escort missions (booo) and the occasional infiltration of a mothership.

It’s not all fighting in your wee ship, however. Pilots can also dock their fighters with larger vessels , thus taking temporary control of them and doling out upgrades, repairs and orders. It might be a game obsessed with speed and adrenaline, but it also wants to be smart and tactical.

The freshly-updated Redout Steam page offers more details on this new theme:

Will you go for a full-on attack on the enemy cargos to cut off their supply lines, or will you make sure to defend yours first? Will you gamble your Corvette’s hull against the enemy Mothership’s defensive turrets, or will you patiently wait for your fighters to take them down before zeroing in for the final blow? Will your be the rogue dogfight ace, the perfect repair support, the Cargo escort, the brave Mothership bomber, the decisive Corvette mastermind? Your call.

Redout will feature online multiplayer, as well as a career mode that spins a yarn about humanity’s attempts to colonise new worlds. Developer 34BigThings emphasises that multiplayer is the focus, however.

The shift in direction seems fairly dramatic, though I’ve not been able to find a reason for the change. Their blog hasn’t been updated since May – before the announcement of the new theme.

Redout: Space Assault is due out in early 2019.

1. Vinraith says:

Redout was an enormously fun racer and the post-release support was spectacular. I wish the guys at 34BigThings all the luck in the world with this, but unfortunately the MP focus will keep me away.

To be honest, MP focused indies always seem like a bad idea, since an MP game lives and dies by its ability to sustain a community and the vast majority of indie MP games can’t.

• fray_bentos says:

I second this opinion. When I first saw the news I imagined F-Zero/RedOut leading to StarFox/RedOut Space Assault, and got excited. However, I have (F-)Zero interest in the MP aspect.

• MajorLag says:

MP games can have long lives if they have LAN play and don’t require many players to be a good time. I still play Myth II and AoE III at every LAN party I go to.

2. bee says:

I hope this works out for them. Personally I was interested in the former but am not interested in the latter.

3. DatonKallandor says:

The MP focus is a gigantic mistake, but they’ll learn that for themselves (unless they blame the inevitable lack of success on the genre).

• Brothabear says:

why would they? Multiplayer give them a chance, Considering Everspace already has a hold on the single player spacesim market.

4. Det. Bullock says:

MP focus? Doesn’t it also have a single player career mode or I was inferring too much?

• Vinraith says:

“Developer 34BigThings emphasises that multiplayer is the focus, however.”

• Det. Bullock says:

Shit, when will they ever learn? There is already Elite: Arena and I sometimes have problem in finding players for that too. And that’s frigging Elite, every spacesim fan has probably bought it and played it to death.

5. Zaxwerks says:

Darn. It has has a “single player” but the fact that in the same paragraph mentioning single player it then say “But Redout: Space Assault was born as a multiplayer experience” means their main focus is multiplayer and the single player will be a tacked on afterthought. With much regret this will be a pass from me. As with most of these the multiplayer will be populated for a few months and then dwindle to nothing.

• Caiman says:

A few months? They’ll be lucky. Most of them have a period of 1-2 weeks where you can get a game, then it becomes restricted to a handful of core players with an extremely high skill level who play on private servers or at specific times.

I’ve seen enough indie games put months into their multiplayer only for them to become ghost towns within a few weeks of launch.

6. mercyRPG says:

Okay, where is the trailer? Oh, this was a teaser.. :-/

7. racccoon says:

Space is the final frontier and so is the ocean.

8. BlueB says:

I just bought Redout a week ago and LOVE it! Best fun I’ve had in a racing game since Star Wars Podracer (never played Wipeout unfortunately).

Like others have said, MP is risky and I really hope they offer a backup SP mode. I’m still excited for this game however.

• bfar says:

I was impressed with Redout, which I bought recently – somewhat underrated in my opinion.

I like the way 34BigThings is branching out into another genre that’s been seriously underdeveloped. Best of luck to em ;)

9. Killy_V says:

Remember Strike Vector ?
    1 week on release of (sparsely) populated multiplayer, then the great nothingness.

Another week of (sparsely) muliplayer when they rereleased Strike Vector EX, and nowwww it’s gone.

Comment on this story