Fortnite cracks the sky with gigantic rocket; probably not good

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 2.33.06 PM

Fortnite: Battle Royale is no stranger to royal displays of extravagance. Heck, that good spacedaddy Thanos ran amok in there for a while. But today, we’ve witnessed a Once In A Game experience: they shot a rocket into the sky and it made the sky not work anymore. We’re not sure what it means, but there’s plenty of video of what went down, and certainly this is all leading into the fifth season with some kind of world changing… thing. Look, I don’t know either, man.

Dominic was kind enough to summarize everything that lead us to this point. There were so many “leaks” and false starts here that I’m just happy something happened at all. Is there a Leviathan en route? Who knows! Epic can do anything now. Storm is a’brewing.

Here’s how the sky looks now. Remember when this happened in Doctor Who? Remember how poorly that went?

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 2.32.43 PM

Anyhow, here’s what you’re all here for: That Good Video Content. Check out this footage of the rocket from the ground, the silo, and from the sky itself.

The next season is set to begin July 12. What happens at that point is anyone’s guess. I mean, my guess is along the same lines as the rest of those guessing: let’s blow up some stuff on the map and let the world go full-Fallout. Are there monsters waiting with new game modes, hidden under ground that we need to nuke to get to? Sure yes.

We’ll let you know what we find out.

1. p00rWhiteGuy says:

Epic, Get back on the horse with Unreal Tournament development.
    The kiddy vibe of Fortnite doesn’t appeal to adults.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Yeah, and kids shouldn’t be playing video games, they should be out in the real outside making forts out of leaves and worms and naiveté, godsarnit!

• airmikee99 says:

Somehow I doubt Fortnite’s 40 million monthly players are all children.

• p00rWhiteGuy says:

There are FPS shooters and then there is Fortnite which is like jumping into the ball pit at Chucky Cheese or Mcdonalds playland.

• Terrapin says:

You said something mindbogglingly dumb, Airmikee99 pointed it out, and you…doubled down. Wow. Dude. Fortnite is the most popular shooter in the world. You don’t like that. Fine. But pretending all the players are kids and the Real Adults Like You are all holding their noses at it is freaking stupid.

• Imperialist says:

Man, if only i was a child in a time when the equivalent of a ballpit at McDonalds was 100 people diving onto an island with the sold purpose of butchering each other.

• mitrovarr says:

How is Fortnight kiddy except that kids play it? Seriously.

The art style is the only thing I can think of, and most people have moved past the idea that a colorful, semi-cartoon art style makes something childish by itself.

• Ushao says:

My wife and I are late 30’s and 40’s and we play with our kid and friends. We get you don’t like it, but that doesn’t equate to everyone else shouldn’t.

• aepervius says:

Probably not but I wonder which percentage they are making of it. From all my friends, only 2 are playing fortnite battle royal, but nearly all kids at their home are. Or are watching streamer do it. Without a proper statistic you can’t really know, but I have the feeling the crushing majority of fortnite player are children. Which would also nicely explain why they are making so much money on cosmetics.

• Phasma Felis says:

STOP LIKING WHAT I DON’T LIKE

• PanFaceSpoonFeet says:

UT is a grown up game..?!?

• p00rWhiteGuy says:

UT is more edgey. A more proper FPS shooter.It needs development love. Fortnite’s third person view makes me want to bang my head on a wall.. I feel like im playing Arma 3..third person works for Arma 3 though.

• TeePee says:

Okay, I’ll bite.

Define a ‘more proper’ FPS shooter (ignoring the fact that Fortnite… well, isn’t a FPS to start with). What makes something like UT a ‘proper’ shooter as opposed to Fortnite?

• Ejia Arath says:

Seriously touting “edgey” as a positive yet also complaining that Fortnite is juvenile. Huh.

particlese says:

The dome has been cracked! Soon the sky will fall away, and it will be undeniable to anyone with a graphics card that they’ve all been nothing but characters in a video game this entire time, killing their fellow video game characters for the entertainment of dozens of onlookers.

3. Xerophyte says:

Hot take: Crack the Big Sky is really one of the weaker tracks on Day for Night, even as someone who rather likes Spock’s Beard in all their proggy wankery.

4. DodoSandvich says:

I think it’s good. I’m ready for some map changes

5. racccoon says:

Exactly what I predicted if you cant think of anything else think S P A C E !! lol

6. corinoco says:

They’ll last as long is it takes Paramount to notice that the ship in the schematics is Zefram Cochrane’s ‘Phoenix’ from STTNG:First Contact. Next thing you’ll tell me is that the music is ‘Magic Carpet Ride’ by Steppenwolf.

7. fuzzyfuzzyfungus says:

Well, Fortnite: Lonesome Road should be an interesting thematic shift.

Ulysses can narrate; and anyone who dies in the expanding radiation zone can remain on the map as a marked man hazard for the next round.

Comment on this story