Honey, I Joined A Cult is the Prison Architect of the soul

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 12.41.07 AM

Look, y’all know me. I’m your friend Brock. I love anything having to do with a cult. Hell, I went out and found my own, once. And this week, I talked about cults and games YET AGAIN. So, I was a little surprised when an indie cult game snuck under my radar. It is named, pleasantly, Honey, I Joined A Cult. The game looks to be Prison Architect but for building and controlling a gaggle of beautiful dummies that want to worship whatever type of dumb God you want to make up. There’s also a bounty of funky 70s jams to keep the mood light as you fleece your flock.

The game seems cleverly designed, allowing you to set the focus of your followers obsessions, including sacred objects they worship at and the kind of outfits they’ll wear. But there’s also the technical side of cult management, including making sure your people have adequate propaganda to read in the library, places to sleep so they can never leave, and of course interrogation rooms with polygraph machines — you know, to find the unbelievers.

You can only check out the trailer on the game’s Steam page right now, which is an excellent way to make you go there right now.

There’s also currently a different pretty great game about cults out. We liked Cultist Simulator around these parts.

Pretty good singing/recording quality here for being in the bath:

I want a squid cult. Gimmie a squid cult. I deserve a squid cult.

You can follow the game on Steam. There’s a release date of “2018” so I assume that means tomorrow. Let me play it now. **whispers: it looks a lot better than far cry 5**

1. Evan_ says:

Finally! I loved Prison Architect, but it was so depressing. Keeping all those people in who didn’t really want to be there.

Can’t wait to design the prison without walls that everybody wants to be in!

2. Vinraith says:

Wow, that’s got an even higher “ick”-factor than Prison Architect.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Of course it’s a British developer. Of course it is.

I don’t know how this arose, but I’ve seen this a few times, this odd fetish for parts of 60s/70s America which really doesn’t grasp the history and circumstances at all.

• Kolbex says:

You don’t have to be British to miss the context of something, just young. Most indie game developers and music producers are pretty young, and the massive fetishization of the 80s that we’ve just (hopefully) more or less finished going through was pretty much just, “make it neon and add some analog synth” level of cultural critique.

• Someoldguy says:

Hardly surprising from an industry that barely gets past the “its cool to shoot people with gunz” in most of its best selling titles.

I suspect this is more satire poking fun at the likes of Billy Graham than Marshall Applewhite. Doing for religion what Theme Hospital did for the medical profession.

• AtomicAcorn says:

Can we just play games and have fun? Just once? Does every silly indie project have to be a proving ground for pedantic commenters who take a brief look at something and decide they know the inner machinations of the developers psyche?

• TrenchFoot says:

This is a very mainstream game.

An actually “counter-cultural” game right now could be one where the protagonist becomes a Methodist and goes to Bible Study on Wednesday nights.

An actually “counter-cultural” game right now could be one where the protagonist addresses the Cult of Reason and dim social media atheists.

3. Crafter says:

What the hell ?

Ok, so this genre is really not for me.

I loved Rimworld and it pretty fills this niche for me. It is just as well, because I could not play Prison Architect for more than 10 minutes and this sounds just as bad.

Comment on this story