What are we all playing this weekend?

Summer! It’s summer! It actually happened! They said it couldn’t be done yet here we are. We made it, together. Bless us all.

What are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on!

Alec: I just stuck my nose back into Stardew Valley while working on a round-up of best management games, and now is all obviously doomed. Parsnips and potatoes are my everything. If I can tear myself away from such pastoral pursuits, Prey: Mooncrash still calls to me too.
Alice B: This weekend, if the weather holds, I’m going to sit in a park with some friends and play a TRPG called Blades in the Dark. If you’ve played other pen and paper RPGs and argued over who got to be the rogue, then check out Blades, because it is a game where everyone gets to be the rogue. This is, coincidentally, the same player group that Johnny Chiodini wrote about on Eurogamer.
Alice O: I’m still enamoured with Slay The Spire‘s third character, The Defect, still finding clever combos and just plain enjoying this murderous wizbot. What a fantastic character. Beyond that, I want to be outside and ideally in water. I managed three swims last weekend (one river, two beaches), and caught so much sun that for days I was puzzled by blemishes appearing on my face – until I realised they were freckles reemerging after the Caledonian winter.
Brendan: I got a PlayStation 4! Put that pitchfork away, you eejit. It’s 2018 and we’re all videogame polyamorous now (polygonorous?) I’m gonna play me some Persona 5 and Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne and and and… Oh it’s all so exciting. Like a little Christmas in the middle of June. Merry Junemas, everyone!
Dave: It’s the game of setting up tents and being outside. I am GMing a pen and paper role playing game (Trail of Cthulhu) so there is at least some game being played.
Graham: I’m sorry, I’m going to keep saying this, but I’m going to spend any spare moment this weekend trying to make a game rather than playing them. Latest update: I’ve commissioned an artist who has started producing character art. It looks great – there are several good dogs involved – and it’s giving me extra motivation to make the rest of the game live up to it.
John: It’s going to be Red Faction Guererifilllaa ReMarstered, because I’m reviewing it. But if I have any spare time amongst the weekend madness, I really want to carry on struggling through the surprisingly bad Uncharted 1 on PS4, so I can get on to the apparently not as bad Uncharted 2.
Katharine: I think I’m finally starting to get to the good stuff in Ni No Kuni II now, as I was suddenly presented with a top-down real-time strategy scenario earlier in the week where I crushed the local spear-wielding hamster population to establish my new kingdom. I’ve still got to go and ask the local wood god if I can chop down some trees so I can build said kingdom (a plan I’m pretty sure he won’t be very pleased with), but fingers crossed I’ll make it far enough in my negotiations this weekend to get a glimpse of the game’s apparently excellent town management feature.
Matt: In the Steam sale so far, I’ve succumbed and bought OneShot, Wizard of Legend and The Gallery – Episode 1: Call of the Starseed.

Naturally, I’ll be playing none of those and instead splitting my time between Overwatch and board games.

Matthew: I’m still clearing Assassin’s Creed Oranges‘ map of eight billion icons – I reached a point where I cleared enough of the damn things that I feel obliged to push on. And the action has become a lot more enjoyable now that I’ve spiced up my poison darts and can hide in the bushes while entire enemy bases puke themselves to death (spreading the infection as friends come to hold back their hair). And with the heat of the sun beating on my gaming chair, it’ll be extra immersive. Maybe I’ll take breaks to cool myself with frostier fare; I’ve got an untouched copy of A Good Snowman Is Hard To Build. Of course, if anyone has better suggestions of snow/ice-based games, I’ll happily take them.
Nöa: This weekend I’m going finally play Behind the Screen, which I know so little about you wouldn’t think I’d have any reason to play it all. What I do know is it looks very strange and not a little dark, which is right up my alley! And if that doesn’t float my boat (or should I say rocket?) I’ll be falling back on the gorgeous OPUS.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

1. EgoMaster says:

After finishing The Dark Eye marathon, I have been drifting in terms of gaming. So, today I’m starting my Bioshock marathon. I finished the two System Shock games last year and had a blast, but because I didn’t have enough empty space for Remastered versions + Infinite, I left their spiritual successor to this year. I have only finished the first one, so 2 and Infinite will be brand new experiences for me. I also got a little bit tired of trying to avoid spoilers for the rest of the series, especially Infinite. And this ends now!

• Lars Westergren says:

If you like those games, you have to play Arkane Studios stuff if you haven’t. Dishonored 1+2, Prey, plus all the DLC.

• Thulsa Hex says:

Yup, put ’em on the list! I played through everything Arkane this year (except the new Mooncrash DLC) and it was all infinitely better than Infinite. (Well, maybe not infinitely–that was just too catchy to pass up.) Enjoy BioShocking. Rapture is one hell of a video game environment.

• EgoMaster says:

They are on my list but with the exception of the first Dishonered, I can’t enjoy them with a 750M. That means I can’t marathon them yet. That means they’ll have to wait until my old laptop Betsy here is… Well, much much older. They’re on top of my “games I’ll play when I buy a new system” list, along with the Metro series.

• Thulsa Hex says:

Solid plan :)

• Richard_from_Winnipeg says:

I have an old Lenovo Y580 with a GTX 660M in it. Laptops of our generation have a mini pci-e inside of them usually powering the wifi. I took the wifi out and use a mini USB wifi stick now and an external graphics card.

Get the Beast external dock from Ali Express or wherever for $60. It’s worth it. I ended up going with a GTX960, thankfully before prices shot up.

Now my CPU is the bottle neck rather than the GPU and I can play most modern games, although it does slow down a bit with 4x games now on the CPU turn.

That being said, I’m probably building a proper desktop this fall.

• welverin says:

No, no. Arkane games come after the Thief games.

And maybe the Ultima Underworlds, with Arx Fatalis fit inbetween.

2. caff says:

Picked up a couple of 10tons games in the Steam sale, so I’ll probably be shouting “I AM THE LAW!” at perps in Jydge.

Oh yeah, and more adventures in Omen Exitio: Plague. It’s superb, it’s how adventure gamebooks should be done on a PC.

3. Lars Westergren says:

I’m still on Prey: Mooncrash, the AAA Roguelike which is amazingly good. Managed to unlock all 5 characters now, including one that you pretty much have to play like you are playing Thief, because if she gets into open combat she is in deep trouble. Plus I found out about the story objective missions.

Still playing some of Cultist Simulator, but I did look up a few things online because I was hoarding more and more books and high level lore but not progressing anywhere. If one guide was right,
    ** SPOILER WARNING **
    I may have to start over because I have the wrong cult funded to succeed at the path I chose. That does suck a bit.
    ** END SPOILER **
    Also think the rites that convert Passion cards to Reason and vice-versa should be remade into something more useful (adding points to cult members maybe? Transforming a Thing? Or transforming another Ritual?) because by the time I get them I always have emptied out the initial bookstore and I have 7-8 of each of those cards, more than you will ever need it feels like.

I think I want to play Vampyre next.

• caff says:

Your comments on the Mooncrash DLC have me very tempted…. AAA roguelike you say? Other RPS writers have said similar.

• bacon seeker says:

Mooncrash is solid. It’s not a pure roguelike (thank god) since your character upgrades persist between playthroughs, and you can shop for any items you’ve previously discovered before each playthrough.

• April March says:

There’s no ‘wrong’ cult for your path. There’s a very right cult for your path, and there are wrong cults for your playstyle, but you can win with anyone. You can use a summon for your final Ascension, or even use a rite that doesn’t require an assistant. (Though I’ve never found an instrument even remotely powerful, but that’s because I’m a nerd and rarely take expeditions.)

That said, taking the fall and starting a new game can be fun. It’s a kind of roguelike.

I don’t think all the rites are meant to be useful. There are situations when you’d like to transfer Passion to Reason and vice versa. Though I agree that by the endgame I was paying no attention to them, because I knew I had enough.

4. Hilloh says:

I played Uncharted 1 last year and it had a) not aged well and b) not been that great to begin with, probably. I know I really should continue on to Uncharted 2 as it’s supposed to be very good still today but then again I feel 6 months break after the first one hasn’t still been enough.

• Not Marvelous says:

I have never owned a PS and Uncharted 1 always seemed… well, rather boring, but 2? I watched a whole playthrough on youtube and it was fun. A little bit much on the shooty parts (still, I hear, considerably better than 1) as opposed to the adventuring, but just an excellent game. Numbers 3 and 4 seem great as well.

• malkav11 says:

I think the big setpieces and writing in Uncharted 1 are still cool to watch, but there’s a reason I bailed on that game in about 30 minutes of actually playing. Namely, the combat is an intensely bullet spongey overlong slog. Consistently. Throughout the entire game. This does get better in 2, and the set pieces in that are very good indeed, but I still had to turn the game down to Very Easy by the end, not because the game was too hard, but because every combat was too long and too repetitive and only drastically reducing the enemy health was enough to make it playable. It sure looked like the trend continued in 3 and 4, but I only played a couple opening levels of 3 and have never owned a PS4 for 4, so I only have Let’s Plays to go by.

And that’s really what I’d recommend for most of the series, maybe all of it. Just watch someone else (my choice was Chip & Ironicus) play them, bask in the gorgeous locales and the cool tomb raiding and whatnot and enjoy the characters and their repartee, and don’t worry about actually shooting things.

• hfm says:

BLASPHEMY!

I really liked Uncharted when it first came out. Though I admit it probably hasn’t aged well as the series became masterful in the successive installments. But you really HAD to play it when it launched or you wouldn’t see what the fuss was about.

5. Bostec says:

I picked up a PS4 last year and the Uncharted remasters. Really struggled with the first one, thought it was terrible and almost gave up at the end. Didn’t have the heart to play the 2nd one.

Into RPG’s and rogue-likes at the moment. Got a couple of expansions for Tales of Maj’Eyal and Caves of Qud to run through. Also playing Avernum 2:Crystal Souls.

Ninja Dodo says:

I’ve only played Uncharted 2 and 4. I think 2 is where it starts to get more varied and interesting, adding stealth and more combat options.

• A really big bag says:

If you didn’t like the first Uncharted, it’s definitely possible you won’t like the others, but just FYI Uncharted 1 is above and beyond the worst of the series. It’s almost like a proof of concept compared to the others. When you’ve had your fill of RPG’s and rouge-likes, I’d at least give the second one a chance before writing the entire series off, especially if you already own it.

6. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Probably playing the only two games I picked up in the steam sale so far. So, might be trying to finish off The Witness, having just got to the mountain.

Or, if I finish that quicker than expected, or am just bored of it, starting MGS:TPP. I played through the Ground Zeros mission which was fun, but I do suspect I’m incredibly bad at these games. Ah well.
    *sets off more alarms* *gets into more gunfights*

7. Grizzly says:

Not much games to play this weekend because we’ll be celebrating the educational achievements of my niece, but I’ve been playing some old racing games I’ve never really picked up before, such as the lovely Flatout: Ultimate Carnage and Fuel.

I also bought some extra content for Cities: Skylines in the steam sale, and although the Green Cities expansion isn’t as wildly amazing as, say, After Dark or Mass Transit (the former of which adds BICYCLE LANES), building a city in full Femke Halsema mode is still quite a lot of fun.

8. gorte says:

I can’t really afford to indulge in Steam salery right now so this weekend I’m going to be very f2p and check out the new Eternal expansion.

9. a fine cat says:

I have forgotten the greatness of Brigador and shall make amends by actually playing through the campaign, instead of just fooling around in freelance mode forever. I really, really hope they’ll release a level editor some time.

The Almighty Moo says:

Into the Breach. Started my first campaign on normal as the Rusting Hulks. Other than that Zelda in the Sunshine

11. LennyLeonardUK says:

Due to the combined forces of the World Cup and the extreme heat in the south of England I have found myself drifting away from my PC recently, but that will change this weekend. Before my lapse I was knee-deep into Ni No Kuni 2 so I will go back to that, plus I have BattleTech sitting idle in my Steam Library so I may also try to change that situation over the next 48 hours.

In between that I will continue to enjoy the World Cup, and in contrast, continue to endure the heat.

Have a good weekend everybody.

12. Not Marvelous says:

Right now I’m trying to gather people to play Blades in the Dark, it seems like such a fantastic game.

Also another example why RPGs are actually not a good fit for digital games, although I wish CRPGs picked up at least some ideas from modern tabletops, not just, you know, the updated semi-wargames from 40 years ago.

• malkav11 says:

CRPGs seem like the perfect place for those sorts of RPG systems to me. An AI can’t possibly be flexible enough to allow the sort of narrative sharing and other storygame innovations of recent years, but it can definitely handle tons of fiddly crunch for you and throw challenging tactical encounters at you…though the modern trend to try and make you do said encounters in real time kind of borks everything up as far as I’m concerned.

• juan_h says:

Divinity: Original Sin, and presumably also its sequel, are delightfully turn-based.

As for real-time combat in CRPGs, I have a theory. There are two causes. The first is nostalgia for Baldur’s Gate, which, if I’m not mistaken, is real-time for the same-reason Neverwinter Nights is real-time, which is to say that it was originally built to support multiplayer. For games that aren’t trying to relive the glory days of Baldur’s Gate, I think its because real-time, which is to say action-y, games are an easier sell to a broader audience than turn-based games are.

Maybe. I’m just guessing here.

• malkav11 says:

I mean, real time games have been plaguing me since the early 90s. There seems to be a common opinion that turn-based play was an artifact of the technology not being up to doing real-time and now that it is there’s no reason to bother with being turn-based, but I heartily disagree. I’ve actually been pleased to see a minor resurgence in turn-based combat between the Original Sin games, Shadowrun, and inXile’s last couple of games, but I still wish things like Pillars and Tyranny were as well. Not to mention stuff like Wartile and Tower of Time that I haven’t even played because I have no real countervailing reason to approach them in the face of the real-time combat. Whereas with Pillars and Tyranny I have a long history of enjoying Obsidian’s work.

• welverin says:

The funny thing about the BG games is that they ahve all of the turn based rules of D&D built into them, they just run continuously. Hell, one of the auto stops is for the start of the turn.

• April March says:

Funny, I played The Spire last week, which apparently has a lot in common with Blades in the Dark. (One surprising link: The Spire lists Fallen London as an influence [and that influence is rather visible in the mechanics], while Blades in the Dark was originally designed as a Fallen London RPG, but the deal fell apart and it was released as its own IP.)

• malkav11 says:

I don’t think that’s accurate. There was a Fallen London RPG in development called Knife & Candle, and it was being co-written by Vincent Baker (primary designer of Apocalypse World, which was the original mechanical basis of Blades in the Dark) and Elizabeth Sampat (who used to work at Popcap, and wrote for Fallen London and the Silver Tree spinoff, among other things), and it indeed fell through. But Blades in the Dark was John Harper (One Seven Design, previously author of RPGs like Lady Blackbird and Ghost Lines) at the helm. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Harper’s played Fallen London and/or Sunless Sea, and he certainly knows Baker (I’ve seen him play Apocalypse World with Baker GMing), but I don’t think there’s a direct connection there.

Edit: nevermind, I guess Harper was also involved in that project.

13. BaronKreight says:

I have just discovered Art of Conquest – chinese mobile strategy game. It has massive battles (for mobile) and total war warhammer vibe. Different races, different heroes, different spells. One of the best strategy games ive ever played on mobile.

14. jerseyBastion says:

If I get an hour to myself I intend to ignore all the stuff I picked up in the Steam sale for actual money and, inspired by John’s old articles, try out Neverwinter Nights for free.

15. Spuzzell says:

I bought a decent projector and a 92″ screen for the World Cup, and in the football downtimes I intend to hook up my Steam Link to it and finish off Driver: San Francisco, which is really good.

On an unrelated note, what’s the RPS hivemind opinion of someone who has bought a game on TWO separate digital retail platforms, has been unable to make it work on either despite repeated and lengthy attempts and then gives up and finds a torrent of a cracked version that just works perfectly?

Asking for an extremely irritated friend.

• Lars Westergren says:

Play it with zero guilt, you’ve paid for it. Just be careful with malware etc on cracks.

• welverin says:

I agree with Lars, you paid for it, don’t feel guilty, just careful.

• April March says:

I also forgive you for your sin against the gods of intellectual property.

Also, Driver: San Francisco was a fantastic game. Somehow the incredibly silly story works for it rather than against it – and the game itself is brill.

Arnvidr says:

I’ve been splitting my time between Dirt Rally and Quake Champions lately, so naturally my twitch needs to calm down with a few hours of American Truck Simulator.

17. juan_h says:

Divinity: Original Sin. I’ve gotten used to the camera controls. I’ve also come to understand why they’re different from the controls in Neverwinter Nights. Suffice to say that the camera isn’t bothering me as much as it used to. Still absorbed in the game. Still wish it had some way to discover interactable objects without having to mouse over them first. It’s like the bad old days of pixel hunts in adventure games. But I can forgive the game a lot for its combat and character-building possibilities. As is often the case for me with RPGs, I have yet to finish the game even once but I am already imagining playing it again with a new, better, and more novel set of builds.

18. Kitsunin says:

Three games on the docket now. Ys 8. Seems good.

Football, Tactics, and Glory. Loving it! When the tactics aren’t engaging (rarely) the progress your players and club are making is.

Labyrinth of Touhou 2. Very traditional JRPG with a neat difference: your party has a dozen members, fielding four at a time. This means you constantly cycle your party to get what you need in battle. It’s a very effective way of preventing a traditional ATB system from being stale. And because individually characters have very limited skill sets, the game hands out party members like candy, which keeps the dungeon crawling engaging and rewarding.

19. nifft.batuff says:

This WE I am planning the following: on the left monitor a JRPG on my beloved 3DS emulator (maybe I will try “Bravely Default”), on the right monitor Google Slides and my cloud computing access (I have to produce some work to show on Monday).

20. Viral Frog says:

My weekend will be split mostly between Plunkbat and GameMaker Studio 1.4. Nothing exciting, really. (Not yet on GM:S, anyway. Still learning the ropes.)

Big Dunc says:

This weekend I will mostly be diving into the unpolluted (apart from the radiation) waters of Subnautica. I’m only a few hours in but feel like I’m making good progress, which probably means I’ve barely scratched the surface.

• Ben King says:

ah crap I need to pick that one up again- I love the rhythms of harvest, craft supplies, explore, return, upgrade and repeat. Subnautica is ridiculously good, but i have yet to complete the main story line myself, or unlock some of the higher level items… Hope you have a good time eating fish:-)

• OmNomNom says:

That’s the best bit unfortunately, once you uncover more and is not a struggle to survive it becomes a bit of a monotonous grind

22. Vandelay says:

Glad I’m not the only one to be surprised by how terrible Uncharted 1 is. It stays that way all the way through and manages to save its worst moments for the finale. 2 is a big improvement and the other two are equally good. Got a bit Naughty Dog-ed out after playing them and The Last of Us in quick succession when getting my PS4 though. The gameplay in all their games is a bit samey.

As for what I shall be playing, I picked up GTA5 last night, so will likely be playing a bit of that. Only played 30 mins or so, but it seems to be a GTA game so far. Not really seen enough to pass much more of a judgement, but it feels better to play than 4 and I am liking the city more.

Also picked up some Crusader Kings 2 DLC from the Steam sale (Old Gods, Way of Life and Reaper’s Due). I’ve bounced off it multiple times, so giving it one more attempt to draw me in. I hoped DLC might add some interesting new options. Seems to actually be working. Had about 3 sessions with it during the week and left each wanting more and achieving something each time.

I picked King Rurik as my starting character and it seemed a good call. Being Pagan (or maybe it is being tribal) allows declaring war to be a simple process. My long reign saw me “uniting” most of the Kingdom of Rus.
    If I had of understood raiding earlier then that would have also been a good way of keeping things interesting. There is still huge amounts of the game I don’t understand, but I’m enjoying finding out how everything works.

particlese says:

We should all get together and have an “Uncharted 1 is surprisingly not entirely excellent” party. I ended up just watching a let’s-play of it for the banter and the glances at pretty environments and was glad I did, but I still haven’t cracked opened the second game, so strong was my unenjoyment of ~2 hours of actually playing the thing.

Good to know the rest are better, should I ever get the urge to try the series again.

23. aircool says:

Trying to see enemies (and failing) in BFV Alpha.

24. Thulsa Hex says:

Silent Hill 2, for the first time, thanks to the wonders of PS2 emulation. I’ve been wanting to play it ever since I was a young teenager and I’m glad to say it holds up very well indeed. I’m sure it was all fairly fancy back in the day, but the low-fi, low-poly visuals (by contemporary standards) make everything all the more unsettling. It exudes grime, and genuinely stresses me out. The only thing is, I think popular culture has compromised Pyramid Head for me in that it hasn’t had the impact I’d learned to expect. Probably inevitable. There’s time yet for it to mess me up, though, and the game is still spooky as hell, so it’s all good.

In a complete tonal shift, I think I’m gonna buy Stardew Valley on Switch today, explicitly to bring out into the sun. That sounds nice.

• malkav11 says:

The early Silent Hill games are just masterfully atmospheric. But yeah, Pyramid Head got a bit overused. Especially since he’s supposed to be a manifestation of a particular character’s issues and then got pasted all over the place since.

25. charmless says:

I have spent far, far too much on the steam sale and grabbed a trifling part of the $8000 worth of train simulator DLC (a goodly patch of SE England), european truck simulator (Italia and a few cargo packs) and rise of flight (most of the aircraft).
    I only GAS for games and don’t have anywhere near enough time to play them. it’s non-healthy addictive behaviour. sigh
    also might do some elite: dangerous, slay the spire, cat quest, steel fury or IL-2 although hopeless at everything.

26. Ben King says:

probably more Signal from Tolva, more The Witness – I FINALLY FIGURED OUT THE QUARRY after a MONTH, but i’m still stuck on the marshlands. I could technically enter the mountain now but i’m back to having a good time traipsing about solving things that were previously impossible. I keep hearing good things about Objects in Space but i’ve got a bit of a shameful backlog I’d like to work on a bit…

• MondSemmel says:

My advice for playing The Witness: Treat uncovering the puzzle rules like a scientific experiment. Say you have a hypothesis for how to solve a puzzle / for specific puzzle rules. Then the first thing to do is not to solve the puzzle this way. Rather, try to falsify this hypothesis by testing that doing things differently does *not* solve the puzzle. Similarly, if you’ve found a valid solution to a puzzle, don’t always immediately advance to the next; instead, sometimes ask yourself whether any alternative solutions would also work.

27. PanFaceSpoonFeet says:

FireWatch fer me. It’s really well done, well paced build up of tension and intrigue. Also alien isolation with the alias isolation mod/fix is the most atmospheric scifi scarefest.

28. Boardwalker says:

Third weekend in a row I’ll be spending with Star Traders: Frontiers. For an indie, EA game, it’s got some great polish and replayability. Highly recommended for fans of turn-based games.

29. cvaldivia93 says:

Edith Finch. Played about ten minutes last night, am hooked. Also bought the expansions for Endless Legend. LOVE THAT GAME!!!

And no firings this week – well done RPS crew!

30. piddy565 says:

Going to replay the Banner Saga 1 and 2 these next few weekends in anticipation of 3 coming out soon. Gotta lock down my personal canon playthrough.

31. Zenicetus says:

Battletech, and then some time in TW Warhammer 1 and 2, to see if I want to pick up any of the DLC in the current Steam sale.

With the disappointing news about Fallout 76’s multiplayer focus, I’m halfway tempted to re-play either Fallout 3 or New Vegas for nostalgia’s sake. Maybe a heavily modded Fallout 3, since it’s been so long since I played it, and the DLCs weren’t bad.

• Zenicetus says:

Ugh, I just read that Fallouot 3 has major issues with getting it to run under Windows 10. Not sure I have the patience to mess with all the workarounds to get it running. So I guess it’s a third run through New Vegas. Or maybe I’ll try that fresh start mod for Fallout 4, where you can skip being the canon main character.

• malkav11 says:

I recommend trying the A Tale of Two Wastelands mod, which ports the entire content of Fallout 3 into the New Vegas engine. It won’t play identically to Fallout 3 since the default mechanics will still be those of New Vegas (although there are some things you can tweak to FO3 values if you really want), but it really wasn’t that hard to install, I found, and it’s been running like a dream on Win 10 for me.

• OmNomNom says:

Play fallout 4 with the Horizon mod. Actually turns it into a decent game

32. Iamblichos says:

Finally (after several years) finished Dying Light, got 100% completion on quests, and have now moved on to the Following DLC. It’s much better, and I’m low-key mad at myself for waiting so long to experience it. I’m also kind of surprised that nobody mentioned the horror factor of killing zombie kids (i.e., screamers). I find it disturbing, and even more disturbing that nobody mentioned it in their reviews. Is this… normal now?

• Gbsod says:

Those kids were definitely the freakiest part of the game for me too. I think given they occur quite late in the game perhaps reviewers were trying not to spoil the ‘experience’.

33. RosalietheDog says:

Prey, without DLC. Beautiful game, love it. Also watching the World Cup.

34. Freud says:

Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology.

Not close to being one of the best JRPGs ever as the enthusiasts have proclaimed for years, it’s still a good game with a fun time travel/altered timelines mechanic.

• Kitsunin says:

I can’t think of many better JRPGs from when it was first released: The World Ends With You and a couple Shin Megami Tensei titles, and…that’s it. But time has been very good to the genre, and now I’m not sure it’s even maintained a spot in my top 10.

Still, quality gameplay, quality story. That’s not to be scoffed at. Especially back then, combat in “best ever” JRPGs tended to be ridiculously boring.

particlese says:

I am entertaining thoughts of playing Lawbreakers, Overwatch, and Quake Champions, all in the same day, while also getting sidetracked poking my nose and an eyeball back in through the door of Elder Scrolls Online. BUT I am actually only doing gardening and cooking and paperwork. Papers real and virtual up to my eyeballs. Papers as far as the eye can see. (Which, if one of my eyes is the aforementioned eye, honestly doesn’t say much since the papers are up to my eyeballs.) I might see if I can unwind with Papers, Please, come to think of it. Even if I don’t get a good unwinding out of it, I could at least finally let myself watch the short film, too. That one looks ace.

36. Shinard says:

Bought too much on the Steam sale, but despite all the swanky new games cluttering up my library I’m going back to a game I should’ve played ages ago – Shadowrun: Hong Kong. Dragonfall’s one of my favourite games of all time, and I find Returns to be very underrated. While it doesn’t have the character or story of Dragonfall, I think it conjures up this elegantly bleak noir atmosphere that makes an otherwise rote linear series of decent tactical fights sing. And Hong Kong is… good.

I mean, I’m underselling it, it’s still a great RPG, I think it’s just living in Dragonfall’s shadow a bit too much. The set up and main cast of characters just aren’t as engaging (though having your estranged foster-brother as one of them is an excellent touch, and leads to some great character interaction), and I find the new stealthy decking a bit finnicky, though that’s just because I’m really bad at it. I’m still thoroughly engaged, playing as a smooth talking elf shaman and very pleased that I can get through missions with minimal combat, if I think fast and act clever. The role-play and combat’s as good as ever (though after having tried every class, I highly recommend picking Adept for fun value), I just haven’t had that “wow” moment I got with the last two. Still comfortably a favourite, though, and the missions are probably the best designed of the series (aside from the Ares mission, which has a bug that forced me to restart it twice and can go die in a fire).

• juan_h says:

I like Shadowrun Hong Kong a lot, but I can’t stand the changes they made to decking. I didn’t like the memory puzzles, but I eventually got used to them. The real-time stealth bits, however are just absolutely terrible and awkwardly shoe-horned into a game that wasn’t really designed with that sort of thing in mind. I know that Harebrained Schemes was under a lot of pressure to turn decking into something other than “basically just the magic system, but inside a computer”. (I thought it was fine, but I guess I can understand the desire for something different.) I just can’t believe this is what they came up with.

• Zenicetus says:

The only way I was able to finish Shadowrun Hong Kong was with a hack that removed the difficulty of the cyberspace bits, so I could just zoom past it. I enjoyed the rest of the game, but that decking/cyberspace thing was not fun at all.

37. LennyLeonardo says:

I’ve been replaying Arkham Knight. It’s still good. I didn’t hate the Batmobile shooting back then. I think I hate it a bit now. Fun story: back when Arkham Asylum came out I texted someone about how good it was. My elder-phone somehow autocorrected “Batman” to, “Abunco”. Now, in my mind, the protagonist of those games is named Abunco, forever.

38. Horg says:

I wanted to get stuck into completing Prey this weekend. Early impressions from the last few days have been very good, there seem to be strengths taken from every preceding immersive sim and horror shooter to date, if it had been marketed better I would certainly have bought it sooner. But then some bugger set fire to part of the Pennines, again : | So now I get to play whack-a-mole with patches of wildfire.

39. bacon seeker says:

Some combination of Witcher 3, Fire Emblem, and Halo SPV3, I think.

40. Mouse_of_Dunwall says:

Brendan, play The Last of Us! It’s the best PS4 exclusive (that I’ve played*).

*I have not played Bloodborne.

Anyway, I finished The Last of Us: Left Behind DLC this week. It was excellent. I want to replay the main campaign now, but first, Prey: Mooncrash!

• Mouse_of_Dunwall says:

I’d also recommend PS4 exclusive Until Dawn. There are a lot of QTEs, but it’s a fun and atmospheric horror game.

• welverin says:

I’ll tack onto that: God of War, Tearaway, Gravity Rush.

Horizon: Zero Dawn is supposed to be good, but I haven’t gotten to it yet.

41. Someoldguy says:

I decided to give Surviving Mars another run since the article mentioned it was improved. I’ve come to the conclusion that this may well be true, but there’s a problem. Once you’ve done the start a few times, getting to the point where your first couple of domes are up and running and you’re making some money is all a bit too dull and repetitive to keep ploughing through in the hopes of a more interesting late game.

42. welverin says:

God of War and Destiny 2 (it’s faction rally week)

43. April March says:

Today I played Cultist Simulator. I meant to play other things and do other things that were not playing games, but I played Cultist Simulator instead.

Worth it. I ascended into Glory.

44. MajorLag says:

Finally getting around to A Hat in Time. It’s really good.

Comment on this story