Tempest 4000 set to cause sensory overload this month

81Tcn6XtEPL

Americans don’t know Jeff Minter in the way he’s known elsewhere. At least, that’s what I’ve been told, and it tracks because I didn’t know who Minter was either. The game creator has repeatedly butted heads with The Creature That Wears The Skin Of Atari, so it is delightful to see that some kind of common ground was reached to allow Minter to make this re-imagining of the classic arcade game Tempest. Minter was behind Tempest 2000, the widely-admired Tempest remake first released on Atari Jaguar, and has only grown more Minterly across the years through games including Space Giraffe and Polybius. Tempest 4000 is a challenging wave shooter wrapped in neon retro vibe that carries his trademark style into the future. And you can play T4000 in a couple weeks.

As in the original game, players are in control of the Claw, a powerful spacecraft equipped to destroy deadly creatures and other obstructions with rapid-fire shots on vibrant geometric prisms. With three game modes to choose from and 100 levels to conquer, players must eliminate all enemies as quickly as possible to survive, aiming for the coveted spot at the top of the leaderboards.

You should only have to wait until July 17th to play Tempest 4000 on PC or any console.

Check out the very Jeff Minter trailer below:

You should be able to purchase the game in the near future on Steam. There are more bright colors and music on the official website.

1. ZIGS says:

Can’t wait to play this on my brand-new Atari VCS!!!

2. airmikee99 says:

N2O is still my favorite tunnel shooter. That Crystal Method soundtrack kept me playing for hours on end.

3. racccoon says:

Get out the ASTEROIDS!!
    link to freeasteroids.org
    and some tunes..
    link to youtube.com

4. rustybroomhandle says:

Not knowing who Jeff Minter is, pfff, what a llama.

5. 2old4gamez says:

Now all I need is an updated llamatron.

• Megatron says:

Every time Jeff Minter releases a new game I go through the same cycle:

1) Excited at the thought of a new Llamatron
      2) Disappointed it’s not a new Llamatron
      3) Goes and plays Llamatron again

Time to fire up STeem again…

w-w-w-waah-waah-waah-waah-waah-waah (*new level warp sound*)

6. Cederic says:

My second favourite game on the VIC 20 was his pithily named Metagalatic Llamas Battle at the Edge of Time – link to youtube.com

My Commodore 64 ownership included multiple masterpieces from the ruminant lover.

On the Atari ST I had only a couple, including the incomparable Llamatron.

I may have to give Tempest 4k a go.

• Chorltonwheelie says:

Ah yes! I remember it well (in the voice of Maurice Chevalier naturally). Great days.

‘Sheep in Space’ closely followed by ‘Hover Bovver’ were my favourites. I’ll definitely be giving this a spin for old times sake.

Comment on this story