Humble Store’s new sale is DRM-free (well, with optional Steam keys)

“Should we win the day, the 4th of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice, ‘We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We’re going to live on, we’re going to survive,'” the great patriot Benjamin Franklin famously declared. “They may take our lives, but they’ll never take… OUR FREEDOM!”

Channelling Benny’s spirit, The Humble Store have launched a sale on a number of DRM-free games they stock. The DRM-Freedom Sale is small but offers some decent games at decent prices, and free from DRM controlling how and when you play.

The sale started yesterday, as Americans gear up to celebrate declaring they no longer wanted the British Empire as a mighty and dreadful colonial oppressor because they were perfectly capable of becoming one by themselves. Let’s see, what have we got?

Else Heart.Break(), the open-world hack ’em up our Brendy so adored, is £4.99. Hacking the planet is v. independence.

Wonderful cooperative cleaning game Viscera Cleanup Detail is £4.99.

Pleasing roguelikelike stealth ’em up Eldritch is £0.99.

Into The Breach, the mecha grid ’em up recently declared by Alec to be the very best of the best strategy games, is £9.19.

Fascinating time-looping murder mystery The Sexy Brutale is £7.49.

The insectile metroidvania Hollow Knight, which our John didn’t dig but I know many do, is £7.25.

See the promo page for the dozens of other games in the sale. I’m sure you’ll have picks of your own to recommend.

Prices I’ve checked are about the same as in Steam’s current Summer Sale–some a bit more expensive, others a bit less–but Humble offer both DRM-free downloads and Steam keys.

1. nottorp says:

Funny how humble bundle started with DRM-free indie bundles… which got them a lot of goodwill. And now they’re just another Steam key reseller.

I used to be subscribed to their new bundle notifications. Until they started to send me mails at the *end* of a bundle. Hurry up! There are only 3 days left! There are only 3 hours left! Now I’m not subscribed to anything, so I don’t know about new bundles, so I don’t buy new bundles.

• Optimaximal says:

1) Humble have offered Steam keys with their Bundles since HIB2.

2) Buyers of HIB2 were effectively given HIB1 again (with Steam Keys).

3) Most of their Indie & Jumbo Bundles continue to offer as many games as possible DRM-free (I don’t think they even allow games into the HIBs unless they offer a DRM-free release).

4) The store exists as a separate entity that (like GOG) offers DRM-free versions alongside the Steam versions, if the publisher/developer allows them to.

5) They now release a new main gaming bundle every Tuesday at midday PST (7pm GMT).

Where’s the beef?

• tekknik says:

I feel the same way as the parent, it doesn’t feel like it’s for charity anymore, now it feels like a store trying to harass me into buying and taking a profit on the whole thing. I quit buying from them long ago.

• Booker says:

Same old story really. Lots of people think that hating popular things makes them “cool and interesting”. :)

• jeremyalexander says:

Exactly, it’s just vapid hipster internet hate. Anytime something isn’t exclusive to a small group anymore, that group instantly hates it. That group is a group for losers, and self absorbed tools.

• Megatron says:

I can pretty much guarantee that no-one has EVER said to themselves “I’m going to hate this so I feel/look cooler”. Dismissive tripe.

• Ushao says:

Nobody I know has ever said it, but I’ve run into the attitude of hating on something popular for no good reason despite that it may be something they’d very much enjoy.

phuzz says:

Saying “I don’t like Humble since they started spamming me” isn’t the same as the widespread “this is popular so I hate it” crowd.

• Henke says:

If you don’t wanna subscribe to the Humble newsletter, but still wanna keep up with sweet deals on bundles you should check out the fine work alms is doing on the RPS forum: link to forum.rockpapershotgun.com

Also might wanna follow his Steam group: link to steamcommunity.com Unless you’re totally against Steam, that is.

2. Eery Petrol says:

Steam allows DRM-free too. If the publisher chooses too, you can download their game from Steam and freely copy the game and use it at your own leisure. There’s an entire wikipedia page dedicated to DRM-free Steam games.

3. jeremyalexander says:

Someday I’m sure I’ll try to understand how Steam’s DRM affects anyone in any way. I can still mod my games, I can still play them offline. It’s literally an extra click of a mouse button. Are we really that lazy? It’s no different than using GOG Galaxy. No different at all.

• benkc says:

To be fair, Steam’s offline mode used to be really buggy. I haven’t had any problems with it in ~5 years, personally; but I do remember several times in the distant past where I suddenly couldn’t play a bunch of my games because I had no net connection and offline mode didn’t work. Maybe that’s where some of the concern comes from?

But probably it’s mostly just about the principle of DRM.

• mynicksaretaken says:

Galaxy is optional.

4. Megatron says:

Everyone please buy SOMA. Frictional are amazing. SOMA is amazing.

Thinking about Tacoma and/or Dreamfall: Chapters myself….

phuzz says:

Tacoma is a really interesting game, they’ve come up with a cunning way of replaying the conversations of the people who lived there, in a way that works better than your typical audio-log etc.
      Well worth a buy (unless you hate ‘walking simulators’, which I doubt the OP does).

Comment on this story