Conan Exiles thrives in the wastes and continues to grow

Conan Exiles

Crom would be pleased to see a game as scrappy as Conan Exiles doing so well. Developer/publisher Funcom declared today that the barbarian fantasy survival sandbox is their fastest-selling game to date, now having shifted 1.4 million copies in total. The studio aren’t resting on their laurels either, announcing some new Roman-themed cosmetic DLC, along with reiterating their promise of major free updates to the game, including new dungeons, bosses and a pet-taming system on the horizon.

For those wanting to look a little less like a glistening, oiled barbarian (Why would you? It’s a Conan game!), the upcoming Jewel of the West DLC might be the look you need. As with the previous Chinese-styled Imperial East pack, it’s an entirely cosmetic bundle of new craftable construction blocks, decorative items, weapon skins and armour sets in Aquilonian (Conan’s Romans) style. Nice to look at, but it doesn’t offer any advantages over what’s currently in the game. Laudably, all the real new content is going to be delivered as free updates, at least for the time being.

Conan Exiles

Among the stuff on the horizon for Conan Exiles is a new dungeon – The Midnight Grove – featuring new monsters, and a boss to hunt for unique rewards. The Beast King (pictured above) looks suitably magical and ornery, and I’m sure there’s something fancy we can carve out of those horns. There’s a (presumably related) new god to worship on the way too – Jhebbal Sag, Lord of Beasts – complete with new altars, religious items and a new god-avatar to stomp entire towns flat with, assuming you’re mad enough to play on a PvP server. Me? I’m sticking to co-op.

The game has received some significant patches since launch as well, with a particularly massive one – The Mother of All Patches, as they’re calling it – going live today. It adds the ability to set hierarchies within Clans, threat animations for animals to try and warn you away before they turn aggressive, and a mountain of tweaks and bug-fixes. You can see the full patch-notes here, and read a bit about the upcoming dungeon, monsters and pet system on the developer’s blog here.

Conan Exiles is available via Steam and Humble for £34/$40, along with the Imperial East cosmetic DLC for £9/$10.

1. Taintslapper says:

I’m really glad to see a funcom game succeed. I’ve always felt that they were a really underappreciated developer. Anarchy Online was one of the first online games I ever got really hooked on, and while a lot of people got turned off by the overwhelming ui and stat system, once you figured it out it felt EXTREMELY rewarding.

I’ll have to check out Conan exiles when I get a chance.

• Brix Bronx says:

You should. It is really that good.
      Only downsider is the constant rubber banding like lag, not to bad, but its there, official or community.
      Its getting better since EA release but still, the game needs more polishing server side wise to get my full attention.

Edit: Maybe todays patch is fixing that.

• silentdeathz says:

There isn’t any rubber banding issues if you play on a private dedicated server. I’ve been playing on one since coming back with release.

I can’t understand how anyone can play official/private (non dedi) because the rubber banding is a joke.

[EU/UK]DT#1[06.07]PvP[XP/Hx1.5]NOGOD

The above is where I play, although Im sure there are plenty of others. Server costs ~£120 a month I think to run, so it isnt cheap. But having 70 players and no rubber banding etc isnt possible otherwise.

2. Krondon57 says:

Ah so Roman style faction exists in the Conan universe? Interesting…

• Someoldguy says:

All of the countries in Hyborea are roughly analogous to historical nations even if they don’t completely match them in military uniforms.

• Dominic Tarason says:

Most medieval countries were represented in some fashion. Aquilonia more than some, on account of Conan himself ending up as their king.

link to en.wikipedia.org

• mymorningcoffee says:

Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis, and the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of. And unto this, Conan, destined to wear the jeweled crown of Aquilonia upon a troubled brow. It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga. Let me tell you of the days of high adventure!

• Taintslapper says:

The books differ wildly from the movies. As I recall the environs ranged from battling frost Giants in fields of snow to sailing on pirate ships.

• tomimt says:

That is correct, as all the stories are just little snippets from the life of Conan. There are stories which are linked with a same environment and characters, but most of the time Howard wrote them as stand-alone stories. as they were meant for pulp magazines, so there was hardly an expectancy of people being familiar with longer storylines.

3. airmikee99 says:

How can there be an article and discussion about Conan without the word ‘lamentations’ appearing even once?

4. bill says:

I’m not that familiar with the source material, but it somehow seems weird to have Romans in the Conan universe.

I thought Conan was supposed to be pre-history, like 10,000BC or something?

• Horg says:

It goes way further back than that, in the region of 35,000+ years. Howard never put an actual date on the time line, so estimates vary, but the preamble in the collected short stories indicates events occur prior to the last ice age. In the short stories there are analogous civilisations and cultures for most of the notable, actual human civilisations, ranging from ancient Egypt to east Asia. Aquilonia was the dominant country in the North West of Hyboria, and was Graeco-Roman themed. Some time after Conan’s death, a cataclysmic event knocks the entire world back to a proto-stone age level of development, and reshapes the continents into what we know today. The re-emergence of civilised life was linked to the half remembered ancient cultures of the Hyborian age, minus the magic elements.

• bramble says:

It’s an iron-age setting. Conan learning the Riddle of Steel throughout his adventures is the narrative thrust of much of the story.

• JoeNapalm says:

No…no it isn’t.

I mean sure, if you mean just the original movie, but the Riddle of Steel is never once mentioned in the Robert Howard Conan stories.

-Jn-
        Ifriti Sophist

• Imperialist says:

It depends, as Aquilonia in the books is only vaguely Romanesque, and Funcom’s other game, Age of Conan, sorta pegs them somewhere very finely between Greeks and Romans. Either way, whos to say that the cultures we take for granted werent built in a fashion after ruins or relics they discovered?

5. geldonyetich says:

I enjoyed Conan Exiles for awhile, but eventually decided I had enough dragging comically ragdolling thralls back to the wheel, having them prove utterly incompetent and prone to getting permanently lost when you take them for walkies, and falling through the solid floors of my base. The final straw was having the same merging with foundations occur to me.

I may give the game another spin in a few months, but for now I’m burned out from beta bugs… and I only played after the official release.

6. Lawlcopt0r says:

Some day I’m gonna have to jump into a survival game. Both this and arc look so intriguing, but I still worry how engaging it is. I don’t mind having to set your own goals, but only if the game offers you plenty of good ones and also interesting ways to reach them.

Comment on this story