Get £400 off the Alienware 17 laptop today, plus loads of other Dell deals this week

Dell Alienware

Back when I wrote about other bits of tech, July was always the month where everyone was desperate to show you what goodies they intended to stuff down your stocking come the end of the year. Christmas in July, they called it, and it was downright depressing.

Now, however, it seems to be morphing into more of a Black Friday in July kind of deal, as we not only have Amazon Prime Day next week and Twitch’s ongoing month of free games for Twitch Prime members, but Dell are also getting in on the action with their own week of July discounts – and some of them are pretty decent, too.

Running from now, Monday July 9, until Tuesday July 17, Dell’s week and a bit of deals covers everything from gaming and ultra-slim laptops alike right up to full-blown desktops. Just be warned there’s only limited stock for each deal, so grab them while they’re hot. You’ll also find more general Dell deals going on over this way for things like monitors, accessories and desktop bundle discounts, but below you’ll find a complete list of all the so-called MEGA DEALS and discounts, with each one going live at 8am UK time on their respective days.

Monday July 9:

• Alienware 17 – £1499 (down from £1899), saving you £400 when you use the coupon MEGADEAL1. This particular deal comes with a Core i7-7820HK processor, 8GB of RAM, 17.3in 1920×1080 IPS display, a 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD combo and a lovely Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 graphics chip in it. I was a big fan of Dell’s smaller Alienware 13 (although it should be noted a large part of that was due to the laptop’s OLED display, which is absent here), and this one looks to be just as much of a steal.

Tuesday July 10:

• Inspiron 15 5000£499 (down from £629) – Core i5-7200U, 4GB RAM, 15.6in 1920×1080 display, 256GB SSD
  • Inspiron 13 5000£399 (down from £529) – Core i3-7130U, 4GB RAM, 13.3in 1920×1080 display, 128GB SSD

Wednesday July 11:

Thursday July 12:

Friday July 13:

• Dell G3 17 – £599 (down from £899) – Core i5-8300H, 8GB RAM, 17.3in 1920×1080 IPS display, 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD, 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050
  • XPS 13 – £799 (down from £949) – Core i5-8250U, 8GB RAM, 13.3in 1920×1080 InfinityEdge display, 256GB SSD

Monday July 16:

• Inspiron 13 7000 – £499 (down from £749) – Core i5-8250U, 8GB RAM, 13.3in 1920×1080 IPS display, 256GB SSD
  • Inspiron 15 5579 – £549 (down from £699) – Core i5-8250U, 8GB RAM, 15.6in 1920×1080 IPS display, 256GB SSD

Tuesday July 17:

• Inspiron 15 3000 – £499 (down from £629) – Core i5-7200U, 4GB RAM, 15.6in 1920×1080 display, 1TB HDD
  • XPS 13 – £799 (down from £949) – Core i7-8550U, 16GB RAM, 13.3in 1920×1080 InfinityEdge display, 512GB SSD
  • Dell G5 15 – £999 (down from £1299) – Core i7-8750H, 16GB RAM, 15.6in 1920×1080 IPS display, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 with Max-Q

1. icarussc says:

Thanks!! Some good deals.

• Beebop says:

Just bear in mind that their after-sales is absolute toilet these days. After my last experience I simply will not buy from them again. They essentially told me where I could stick the Consumer Rights Act and that was AFTER I complained. That’s never happened to me and I’m afraid I don’t have what it takes to drag them through small claims.

Point is, shop elsewhere, Dell is not what it was 20 years ago.

• airmikee99 says:

I was going to comment that I wish I’d take a more serious look at Dell before wasting over $1000 on a POS that Acer describes as a ‘gaming laptop.’ After the first serious issue I had with Acer, my complaining that there is no way to disable the integrated Intel GPU to force the machine to use the Nvidia GPU all the time, and discovered that this was a design ‘feature’ that Acer intentionally implemented I realized their support doesn’t actually exist.

• svge says:

Well if its any consolation, I have a dell laptop with the same problem.

• MonkeyJug says:

I have an Dell Inspiron Gaming 7577 laptop. If I go into the nVidia settings, I can make it default to the GTX1060 and ignore the iGPU.

Have a play in there, see if you missed it…

• airmikee99 says:

Since discovering this ‘feature’ in this Acer, I haven’t found any other laptop brands that do the same thing. You’re sure there’s no BIOS setting to disable the onboard card like the last HP I owned?

• GibletHead2000 says:

I’ve had good results with laptops from “PC Specialist”. They’re usually quite a bit cheaper than similar-specced alternatives from Dell/HP/etc. and their aftersales is great. ymmv, but they’re worth a look.

2. bill says:

Anyone have any thoughts on the Dell G3 17 ?

3. Nihyl Baxter says:

Be carefull on buying one of these “gaming” Laptops. We bought one at work and it had heating problems from the beginning. Really annoying stuttering if you play for more than half an hour. Support was miserable and many people had the same problem if you go look it up online. I had to repaste the CPU and GPU myself at the end to make it work. If i had bought it private i would shit in a box and send it to them.

4. Imbecile says:

Any advice on whether any of these laptops are worthwhile? I need an new laptop, but nothing particularly high end. If it can cope with battletech I’m happy.£500ish is that doable?

Comment on this story