In Fortnite, keeping your vitals up is key to winning games. Therefore it’s very important that you keep plenty of healing items on your person and know when to take them in order to patch yourself up after a fight. Shields have recently changed a bit, not least because of the number of small ones you can stack, but also how much they protect you. Our basic guide to healing will go over all the healing items in the game, whether they are for health or shields, as well as the best times to use them and some general tips for healing.
Fortnite healh and shields guide
With the game being the global sensation that it is, there’s a lot to learn about not only getting that all-important “Victory Royale”, but also the changes to the map as the seasons progress, and the challenges you can seek to complete. Head over to our Fortnite guide hub for every single thing you need to get started.
Healing items in Fortnite
Knowing what to look for is one thing, but you’ll find them by scavenging chests and the environment itself. Rarer items from Medkits to the Chug-jugs are likely to be located inside of chests, meaning you’ll You’ll find all of these items scattered around the environment and within chests. More potent items like Med-kits, Large Shield potions, Slurp Juice and Chug-jugs are likely to be found in chests.
When you do find one of these items, you’ll assign it to one of the five slots. These are the same slots that weapons take, so make sure you switch to said slot before holding down the left mouse button. You’ll need to wait the entire duration to use the item; letting go of it will stop and reset the time it takes to use it.
One thing to keep in mind at all times is that your items each have a stack size. Some are deceptively more useful than they may seem. While Small Shield Potions can restore your shield only to around 50 points, they are incredibly quick to consume and you can carry a fair number of them. As of the latest patch, they also protect against vehicle impact and plane explosions.
This makes shields the more important thing to keep an eye on, since you’ll pick up many Small Shield Potions in the course of the game. Chugging one of these provides a small amount of protection for not a massive amount of downtime, getting you right back into the action. Therefore, if you should be focusing on one more than the other, prioritise shields over health when you can. Of course if your shields are full and you only have a slither of health, you should be patching yourself up.
Lastly, make sure that during the course of the game that you are collecting materials. This will allow you to build some emergency fortifications should the need arise to heal and you’re currently out in the open. More on how to build stuff in our Fortnite building and editing guide. This won’t be a guarantee that you’ll be able to knock back items until you’re at full health, but it may stave off some of the damage to get you back into the action.
Healing and Shield items
With the basics out of the way, here’s a list of all the healing and shield items you can find in the game. I’ve separated them into ones that just restore health, just restore shields, and restore both. Keep a close eye on the number of items you can stack in each one as this is more important for competitive play than it may first seem.
- Bandages – Common healing items that heal for 15 points (capped at 75 points), has a duration of 4 seconds and can be stacked up to 15 times.
- Medkit – Uncommon item that restores your entire health bar and takes 10 seconds to use. Can carry a maximum of 3.
- Apple – Uncommon item that heals 5 points and takes 1 second to consume. These are found lying on the ground.
- Cosy Campfire – Place this down for gradual health restoration. This lasts 25 seconds and heals for a maximum of 50 if you’re close to it the entire time. This is a “trap” item, so needs to be built rather than used in your inventory.
- Small Shield Potion – Uncommon potion that takes 2 seconds to use and can restore 25 shield points. Can only restore up to maximum of 50 shield points and is stackable up to 6.
- Shield Potion – A rare potion that takes 5 seconds to use and heals your shields for 50 points. Maximum stack is 3.
- Mushroom – Uncommon item that heals 5 points and takes 1 second to consume. These are found lying on the ground.
Health and Shields
- Slurp Juice – An epic grade drink that gradually ups your health and shield by 75 points. It focuses on health first before restoring shields, at a restore rate of 2. Takes 2 seconds to use and can be stacked up to 2 Slurp Juices.
- Chug-Jug – A legendary drink that restores all your health and shields. You can only carry one at a time and it takes 15 seconds to use.
Tips for healing in Fortnite
Before we go, here are some more tips for how and when to use your healing items:
- Items such as the bandage or small shield potion will only heal you up to a certain threshold.
- If you’re trying to tank it through the Storm, note that your shield will not go down, but your health will.
- You can double up on Campfires by placing two next to each other, then standing on the edge between the two tiles. This way the health-per-second is doubled and you spend less time healing damage.
- When using a Medkit or Chug-jug, build some fortifications around you to protect yourself from incoming attacks.
- If all else fails, you can try to retreat from the heat of battle in order to find a secluded spot to patch yourself up. Terrain isn’t destructible but buildings are, so choose your spot carefully.
That’ll about do it for our Fortnite healing guide, but there’s plenty more guides in our collection. For more on the weapons themselves, check out our Fortnite weapons guide, while our tips for the current season’s weekly challenges and more can be found in our Fortnite weekly challenges guide.