Anthem’s latest patch seems to have been dropped earlier than expected and makes some sweeping changes to the game, most notably addressing some more loot spawning issues, a few changes to respawn timers, and a few item balance changes to Masterwork/Legendary gear. To that end, we figured it would be good to have a summary of all the more relevant updates for Anthem, so in this guide we will be going over the most recent patch notes for Anthem, how they affect your builds, and other things to keep an eye out for.
Anthem update patch guide
Looking for help with missions, or how to get to grips with navigation in Anthem? Be sure to check out our Anthem guide for everything you need to know about BioWare’s latest space adventure. Otherwise, you can go to our Anthem Masterwork gears or Anthem Masterwork components guides for the best stuff. As for how to obtain these items, you can look at our Anthem loot guide for tips on how to nab the best loot.
Anthem update – 15th March
The latest update notes for Anthem are found below, but another one is due at some point on the 19th March, so we’ll include those patch notes as soon as they appear.
- Masterwork & Legendary drop rates have been increased for Grandmaster 2 and Grandmaster 3 difficulty levels.
- Masterwork & Legendary drop rates have been increased for harder enemies at all difficulty levels. This includes: Legendary Ancient Ash Titan, Elite Ancient Ash Titan, Legendary Fury, Legendary Ursix and Legendary Luminary.
Anthem updates – previous patch notes
BioWare have also been applying plenty of hot fixes and even a massive update for the Day One Patch. Use the collapsible dropdowns in order to read the full patch notes.
High level fixes and changes
- Respawn restrictions have been removed – Respawn timers are now based on the activity a player is in. Crit-Path, Agent Missions and other non-end game missions now have a respawn timer of 10 seconds. Strongholds, Legendary Contracts, and other end game missions now have a respawn timer of 30 seconds. The respawn timer Freeplay remains unchanged.
- Loot Changes – Common (white) and Uncommon (green) drops will no longer appear for players that are level 30.
- Improved stability for all platforms – this includes fixes for a number of issues that were causing crashes or connection problems
- Audio Improvements – Fixed a number of issues that could cause audio to drop out
General Fixes and Improvements
- Fixed a number of issues that were blocking players from accessing the Forge
- All missions should now properly end when all conditions have been met
- The inbox now properly displays information on PC (the inbox is found in the newsfeed)
- Fixed an issue that would cause players to be unable to interact with NPCs in Fort Tarsis
- The vault is no longer accessible from the Forge. This change was made to improve performance
- Fixed an issue that would cause the game to hang when entering menus while on an expedition
- Titans will no longer respawn on missions after they are defeated. Example: if players defeat 2 out of 3 titans and then wipe on the third, the first two will not reappear when players respawn during a mission
- Server shutdown messages should now appear less often
- The ability to Quickplay into a Stronghold has been added back to the game
- Mouse button 4 is no longer bound to the back button for PC players
- Crashes that occurred while selecting certain conversation options when interacting with an NPC have been fixed
- Players should no longer get stuck at the end of the “Tomb of General Tarsis” mission
- Players should now run into less issues during Quickplay missions. Additional improvements to Quickplay will be coming in future updates
- Players should no longer get stuck behind fogwalls on missions or in strongholds as often
- Players should now receive credit for the “There Be Giants” challenge when they are downed and when the event is active
- Improved the audio when defeating creatures to provide better feedback
- Changed wording for server shutdown messaging to better indicate that it is just the players server shutting down, not the entire game server
- Players may now launch an expedition from anywhere within the launch bay and Fort Tarsis.
- PS4 led lights will now change based on the javelin being used
- It should now be harder for players to get stun locked by certain enemy compositions
- The values on max flight time inscriptions have been increased
- The appearance of the N7 vinyl on Legion of Dawn armor has been improved
- Haluk will now properly face players during certain dialogue scenes
- The message “Open the Cortex to track the legionnaire Challenges” will no longer pop up after completing the appropriate challenges
- The quality of loot from Stronghold chests has been improved, no more common and uncommon drops!
- Fixed an issue that would cause players to get stuck at the entrance to the sewers in the Temple of the Scar Stronghold
- Titans: We have made several balance changes to all variations of Titans
- Reduced overall damage mitigation from 100% to between 70% and 75% depending on the damage type.
- Increased the time that weakpoints are exposed.
- Fixed an issue that prevented effects from applying and thus preventing combos.
- Increased the damage the Titan takes from weakpoint hits.
- Lesser Titan’s weakpoint’s have been changed to always be active.
- Improved the collision on the ring and seeking projectile attacks. This should make them easier to dodge.
- Decreased the radius of the seeking projectile attack.
- Decreased the damage done by the self-destruct ability.
- Frozen Scar Enforcers and Scrappers can no longer move or attack while frozen
- The Monitor’s health has been greatly reduced in the Heart of Rage Stronghold.
- Players will be less likely to be repeatedly staggered by heavy attacks.
- Adjusted the force applied by some creature attacks down which will lower the frequency of player’s being staggered.
Damage and Item Scaling Changes
- Adjusted the damage scaling of secondary damage sources. These now scale with Average Item Power. This will allow these damage sources to better scale in the Grandmaster Difficulties. This will increase the scaling of the following:
- Melee Damage
- Combo Damage
- Ultimate Damage
- Status Effects
- Item Procs (e.g. Proc from Yvenia’s Thunder)
- Item Power scaling has changed to better reflect the actual power of the item based on its rarity. This is applied to all items retroactively. Players will see the Power of their items go up.
Gameplay Bug Fixes
- The Ultimate ability bar will no longer appear full at the start of a mission when it isn’t actually full
- Weapon recoil will now stop once an exo is looking straight up
- Fixed a number of animation issues that could occur when the Colossus was using its shield.
- It should no longer be possible for the Interceptor to become Frozen while starting up their ultimate
- Interceptor Aura damage will now deal the correct type of damage based on the active aura
- Players can no longer equip abilities from one javelin to another
- The Colossus can now use gear faster after being attacked by a heavy hit from enemies
- The Colossus can now shield charge through destructible objects such as explosive canisters or harvest nodes
- The Colossus now recovers faster after crashing into walls
Item Balance Updates
- Increased the base health of Wind Wall and Bulwark Point to provide better scaling in higher difficulties. The duration of these has been reduced to 20 seconds, down from 60 seconds
- Burst Mortar’s damage has been increased to 300, up from 145 and its cooldown has been reduced to 6 seconds, down from 10 seconds. Its description has also been fixed.
- Flak Cannon’s damage has been increased to 42, up from 30
- Battle Cry’s description has been updated to explain that it also reduces the resistances of affected targets
- Wraith Strike’s damage has been increased to 250, up from 200 and it will now apply elemental effect to targets based on the active aura
- Note: Description text for Wraith Strike will be updated in 1.0.4.
Item Bug Fixes
- Wind Wall should no longer block or interfere with other player abilities
- Ranger Grenadier Component will now correctly lower the cooldown of grenade abilities
- Fixed an issue where certain weapons were not firing where the crosshairs were aimed
- The Ice Blast ability for the Storm javelin now has the primer icon correctly displayed
Inscription Bug Fixes
- The Thruster Delay Recovery Inscription is now correctly applying a bonus
- The Overheat Delay Recovery Inscription is now correctly applying a bonus
- The Weapon Reload Bonus Inscription is now correctly applying a bonus
- Note: These will have non-updated text values until the next patch (1.0.4)
Masterwork Item Balance Updates
- Increased the base damage of the following Masterwork Weapons.
- Ralner’s Blaze
- Rolling Carnage
- Cycle of Pain
- The Last Stand
- Glorious Result
- Insult and Injury
- Sentinel Vengeance
- Gnosta’s Balm
- Vassa’s Surprise
- Soothing Touch
- Renewed Courage
- Artinia’s Gambit
Masterwork Item Bug Fixes
- Ralner’s Blaze – Will no longer roll with incorrect inscriptions
- Ablative Shielding now provides the proper boost in shield and armor
- Badge of Devastation will now generate more ultimate charge when triggered
- It should no longer be possible to stack the effect from Gunslinger’s Mark more than once
The first big update outside of the Day One patch went live not too long ago and it even had Ben Irving from BioWare taking to Reddit on 28th February 2019 to discuss some changes to loot. You can read the full detail in the Reddit post, but here are the notes summarised in full:
- Players now have more time to catch up to other players before seeing the countdown timer until the game loads them into the area.
- Players who have defeated the Swarm Tyrant in the Tyrant Mine Stronghold can no longer be reset by the entire Squad exiting to the main menu and rejoining the session in progress.
- Players can not reopen chests that have already been looted in Strongholds.
- If an Inscription can apply to the item, indicated by a gear icon, it will now be useful to that item. Otherwise the inscription provides a Javelin wide benefit.
- Inscription changes only apply to new items earned in Anthem, with existing ones in the vault retaining their old inscriptions.
- Uncommon (White) and Common (Green) items have been dropped from Level 30 item drop tables.
- Materials needed to craft Masterwork weapons down from 25 to 15.
- Crafted Masterwork weapons/gears/components has the same Inscription changes.
- Fixed an issue where changes to personalising their Javelins weren’t being applied.
- Fixed an issue where players were unable to craft the Dawn Shield during the Critical Path missions.
- Disabled the special ability on the component piece “Gunslinger’s Mark” as the buff granted by the component would stack much higher than intended.
- The special ability on this component piece will be turned back on once a full fix can be implemented.
The second hot fix update addressed a few issues, though only one was explained in any detail.
- The final boss in the “Return to the Heart of Rage” Stronghold and crit path mission will now properly appear if a squad of Freelancers wipe before reaching it.
- Fixed a number of issues that were causing players to crash.
- Fixed an issue where the incorrect amount of coins was displayed and rewarded from various activities.
- Extended the timer for matchmaking in a stronghold.
- Fixed an issue that was causing it to rain in game more than intended.
- Weapons were incorrectly applying infusion proc/bonuses from being equipped when they should only have been applying bonuses from the weapon that was in the active slot.
- Chests in missions have less chance to drop higher tiered items.
- Emotes now save properly when bound.
- Players will no longer be one-shot by high damaging attacks if they have shields active.
High level fixes
- Decreased loading times for older disk drives
- Fixed many infinite loading screens
- Fixed multiple challenges not tracking properly
- A number of issues have been fixed that were causing players to disconnect or crash
- Weapons and gear now have numbers present for modifiers
General Fixes and Improvements
- Loot Reveal and Expedition Summary now correctly play during the end of expedition screen.
- The gather party mechanic has been made more lenient in a number of situations
- At the end of expedition screen players will no longer get stuck on “Recording Victories” or “Skipping All”.
- Game no longer hangs in Javelin menu when unlocking the second, third or fourth javelin
- During the mission “What Freelancers Do” dying after killing Junkmaw & freeing Arcanists leaves you unable to progress, this has been fixed
- Challenges now unlock for players at the correct levels
- Fixed some camera issues during cutscenes
- Legendary Contracts can now be accepted from the Social Hub contract board
- Some enemies have had their shield values decreased
- Loot now properly drops for players who are downed
- The texture quality on the NPC Prospero has been improved
- Final boss of strongholds now drop loot instead of only being shown on the end of expedition screen
- Fixed the time outs on echoes and relics to prevent griefing and to handle disconnections properly
- Players can no longer fall through the floor during the 3rd trial in the Fortress of Dawn
- Completing the tutorial expedition will now show the correct Ranger appearance
- After disconnecting, rejoining an expedition will now place you back into a squad if you were in one previously
- Corrected an issue where players could not interact with each other in the launch bay in certain circumstances
- Corrected an issue during the Mission “Bad Deal” where outlaws won’t spawn, blocking progress
- The start of expedition screen has been improved
- Addressed a variety of situations where killing enemies does not properly progress world events
- Opening a chest now increments Tomb of the Legionnaire progress for all squad members present
- Scar snipers can no longer shoot through Storm Shield
- Corrected an issue where players would get stuck on the end of expedition screen in some situations
- Players will no longer get disconnected if joining the “Finding Old Friends” mission while the cinematic is playing
- Addressed a number of situations where players can get stuck on the environment in the launch bay
- Increased the damage of the electric status effect
- Corrected an issue where the Shield of Dawn could be crafted with less materials then intended in some situations
- The Platinum Mission feat now grants completion as intended
- Status effects can more reliably be applied to Titans
- Fixed loading animations on Marksmen Rifles
- Players can now access the Vault from the Forge
- Swimming into jellyfish underwater no longer leaves a visual effect stuck on players.
- Idle animations will no longer sync up over time in the Launch Bay
- Haluk is no longer dual-wielding canes in the epilogue scene
- Corrected an issue where players could not interact with each other in the launch bay in certain circumstances
- Fixed an issue that could cause players in the launch bay to have identical emotes and be unable to use them
- Interceptor melee ability animations will no longer stretch out in certain situations
- Corrected an issue where the default Ranger appearance doesn’t preview in the forge in some situations
- All animations now play as intended in the Forge
- Players can now enter the Tomb of Gwanes while in a party
- The default Javelin wear state has been changed from “Dirty” to “Old”
- Sentinel Loyalty 2 text no longer incorrectly states that it will lead to a larger vault
- Picking up ammo from the ground now properly gives you 30% of that ammo back into both the current magazine and the maximum spare ammo
- Fixed a bug where some global (Javelin Icon) inscription bonuses were not being properly applied to the Javelin and other gear/weapons.
- Fixed some issues that could cause the Armor Pip count on the UI to break and not display properly
- Fixed an issue that would cause a Stronghold server crash after defeating the last boss
- Temple of Scar – Players can no longer get stuck in the mined tunnel in the explosives room
- Temple of Scar – Players can no longer be blocked from entering the explosives room due to fog wall
- Fixed Tyrant Mine so people that join the stronghold in-progress do not end up locked away from their team
- Adjusted lighting in Tyrant Mine underwater section to make it easier to navigate to the exit
- The Swarm Tyrant will no longer get stuck in the side cave entrances in some situations
- Corrected an issue where players would spawn into different areas of the Tyrant Mine in certain situations
- Implemented more safeguards to stop players from going AFK in Strongholds
- Only Masterwork items can now be used to progress Masterwork challenges as intended
- Corrected an issue where some Challenges track progress simultaneously instead of incrementally, as intended. (ex: Blast Missile I and then Blast Missile II instead of both incrementing at the same time
Gear and Weapons
- After having 1st pilot unlock suit after tutorials, creating a new pilot and going to forge no longer causes load screen hang
- Ice damage bonuses are now correctly applied on ice gear
- Suit-wide bonuses from inscription are now functioning properly
- Players can no longer salvage equipped items
- Javelin specific gear and/or weapons are no longer able to be used on javelins they aren’t intended for
- Corrected an issue where in some circumstances Masterwork Components do not have any inscriptions
- The Endless Siege Masterwork Autocannon no longer displays a damage increase of 0% in its tooltip
- Suit-wide specific weapon ammo bonuses coming from infusions are now correctly applied
- A Network Error Message no longer appears when opening an item chest in the second tutorial
- Colossus shoulder gear will now share the appearance of the rest of the javelin as intended
- Deadeye has increased spare ammo 10 -> 20
- Cloudburst has had increased damage 16.3 -> 21
- Torrent has had increased damage 22.2 -> 28.6
- Lightning Strike’s pre-visualization will now accurately depict that the explosion snaps to the ground.
- (Ranger) Inferno Grenade base damage 130 -> 175
- (Interceptor) Cryo Glaive base damage 20 -> 50
- (Storm) Living Flame base damage 50 -> 60
- (Storm) Glacial Beam base damage 150 -> 120
- (Storm) Arc Burst secondary damage 100 -> 150
- (Ranger) Pulse Blast base damage 225 -> 300, and now deals extra damage to Shields (previously did extra damage to Armored).
- (Ranger) Blast Missile now properly scales up in damage as the item level increases
- (Interceptor) Melee attacks now have some minor resistance penetration
- Large Area of Effect abilities will better register multi-kill activities for challenges and medals
- Spark Dash functionality has been significantly improved when the target enemy is at a different height (above/below) the Interceptor.
- Several gear pieces that had missing primer or detonator icons have been fixed.
- Tempest Strike – Detonator Icon
- Spark Dash – Detonator Icon
- Venom Spray – Primer Icon
- Detonating Strike – Primer Icon
- Lightning Coil – Detonator Icon
- Shock Coil – Primer Icon
- Flamethrower – Primer Icon
- Several improvements have been made to ensure gear use on PC prioritizes turning the Javelin towards the reticle when used rather than casting in front of the Javelin’s current direction.
- The Colossus javelin is now able to activate its shield more quickly after using an ability or firing a weapon
- The Storm javelin now reacts to getting hit when its shields are up
- Fixed an exploit that allowed the Storm’s ultimate attack to be used more times than intended
- The Colossus exo can now shield and revive at the same time
- Interceptor Combo Aura has been increased in power and now has a damage over time component
- Ranger melee now has a cooldown when striking in the air
- The Target Beacon ability now correctly seeks targets
- Spark Dash and Venom Spray now target based on player cursor instead of character facing. This should also improve the travel path of Spark Dash.
- The Colossus will no longer be knocked out of the sky in some situations when the attack was blocked by their shield
Combos + Status Effects
- Combo indicator icons above creatures now are correctly removed when detonated.
- When a Storm detonates an electric status effect the chained electric effect now correctly deals damage.
- Combo damage now penetrates resistances
- Non-Masterwork materials purchased from the crafting store now show as their proper rarity instead of incorrectly showing as Masterwork
- A number of javelin components that had different icons for their recipes and the actual items are now the same
- The Battle Cry gear recipe now has the correct description
- Fixed Spark Beam gear having the wrong description when being crafted
- Crafting recipes are now sorted alphabetically
- The items in the crafting store are now sorted by type to be clearer
- Additional Mouse and Keyboard control improvements have been made
- Some conversations were not popping up the reputation points post conversation completion, this has been fixed
- The squad screen now displays the correct information for each player
- Fixed a number of issues where subtitles will no longer get stuck on the screen after dialogue has finished as often
- Settings should no longer reset upon exiting and restarting the game on Xbox One
- Motion blur can now correctly be turned off
- The Electric Status Effect now shows scaled damage properly
- An option has been added to hide the Squad Member HUD
- The edge of the compass will now pulse to indicate enemy locations
- A notification has been added in Fort Tarsis if a player’s vault is at the cap of 250 items
- On the “Repair the Strider” step of “A Cry for Help” the search radar has been adjusted to correctly lead the player to all 4 tools
- Primer and Detonator icons have been added to all Interceptor gear
- Corrected a user interface issue where a player’s ultimate would show as available when it isn’t
- Toggling the HDR option now properly prompts the Apply Changes button
- Player banners should now display correctly
- Camera shake slider has been added to settings menu
- Players may now track 10 challenges instead of 5
- An option to adjust screen boundaries on consoles has been added
- Changing a player banner through the banner menu now properly saves the selection
- Health, cooldowns, and key bindings now light up on supported keyboards
- Players will now receive more clear messaging when a squad is disbanded or are kicked from a squad
- Squad leaders will no longer always show as ready
- The icon for players in a downed state will no longer appear in cutscenes
- Cypher Annotations will now appear for more than one player if they are looking at it simultaneously
- Removed mentions of respawning on the player UI when they die in a restricted respawn area
- The Player Banner now updates immediately when updated from the squad screen
- Fixed a number of situations where a combo will trigger but no combo floating text appears
- Pressing esc to pass a notification screen no longer opens up the in-game menu
- Quick chat messages will no longer appear from an ignored player
- Removed a message from the mailbox which incorrectly stated that messages will be removed after 3 days
- A number of inscription icons have been updated to properly reflect whether they are Javelin specific or not
- Corrected an issue where players could not change loadout names on PC
- Players no longer need to exit and re-enter the forge for loadout names to update
- The on-screen VOIP indicator which shows a player speaking will no longer be active if that player is muted
Those are all the patch notes for Anthem so far. We will be rotating the notes so that you’ll see what’s relevant to the game currently as more and more updates happen to the game. You can head back to our Anthem Loadouts guide to see what else you can do to upgrade your Javelin, while our tips on Anthem Strongholds will fill you in on another really good way to nab some decent stuff. You can also look at the system requirements in our Anthem system requirements guide.