With the first character of the Kombat Pass now available, it seems there’s some confusion around Mortal Kombat 11’s Krypt and its wealth of unlockables. We aim to set the record straight with some new details on the DLC characters, as well as give you some tips for unlocking stuff in the Krypt, even after numerous patches. Yet there are ways if you know how, that you can unlock the multiple different locations, heart chests, and even the head spikes.
Whether you're a newcomer or a veteran kombatant, there's plenty of things to know about Mortal Kombat 11. Head on over to our hub for everything you need to know which you can find in our Mortal Kombat 11 guide.
If you want to get some hearts there are a few ways that you can do it. You can either go to our Mortal Kombat 11 farming guide to learn more about how to quickly obtain them.
Mortal Kombat 11 Krypt guide
In this guide, we will give you the locations of the heart chests in the game that have been documented thus far, as well as locations of each of the items you’ll need to explore the Krypt fully.
Mortal Kombat 11 Kombat Pass unlockables
With the latest DLC now in the hands of the public, it seems that the Krypt is not the method for unlocking the new fatalities, brutalities, and costumes for Shang Tsung. Instead, it is using the Living Towers to hide away the vast majority of the stuff for Shang Tsung, and it can be safely assumed that the rest of the characters will work in the same way. Luckily, the Living Towers have been toned down significantly in difficulty and these ones in particular are able to be completed with relative ease. You will need to manually control your character however, so some knowledge of combos and attacks may be necessary. These towers will be available for a while, so you should have plenty of time to dive in and complete these challenges.
Mortal Kombat 11 Krypt chests
The significant majority of the chests found within Krypt have randomised locations. The loot of each individual chest is the same throughout, so you’ll only get a certain combination of items. For example, if a chest were to include two pieces of concept art for Jacqui Briggs, those two pieces of concept art would be found together in a different chest in someone else’s game, but always together.
The one exception to this are the Shao Kahn headed “Heart chests”. These require you to smash the bonce off of them first, before spending a whopping 250 hearts to open it. Hearts are by far the least common currency in the game, and NetherRealm Studios have recently made the announcement that they’ll be increasing the amount of all currency, including hearts, earned.
Currently you’ll get a few hearts at most for executing a Fatality or Brutality, so it’s a bit of a grind. We have some tips on farming resources in our Mortal Kombat 11 farming guide. You obtain resources by doing the following:
- Koins – Obtained by doing anything from combos to smashing pots and finishing modes.
- Souls – Obtained by completing towers and achieving objectives.
- Hearts – Obtained by performing Fatalities and Brutalities, as well as buy using the Scorpion Spear on corpses in Krypt mode.
Mortal Kombat 11 Krypt Skeleton Keys
One of the major barriers you’ll face is when it comes to unlocking special doors with Skeleton Keys. However there is a way to replenish chests reliably and one of the chests is guaranteed to contain a Skeleton Key per opening it. The chest at the Palace Entrance (6410, -460) contains a Skeleton Key every time you open it, meaning that you can use Kronika’s Time Vault to repopulate the chests for 2000 Koins per chest. This includes all the soul chests that have been opened, but not the heart chests. The nearest Kronika’s Time Vault to the Skeleton Key chest is at The Courtyard (1136, 3393).
Unlocking Shang Tsung’s Throne Room with Head chests
Some of the best treasure to unlock is hidden away. To unlock the Throne Room, you’ll need to stick some heads on pikes, and to get these heads legitimately, you’ll need to perform 50 fatalities or brutalities on specific characters in the Towers of Time. This can be quite the grind, so the best recommendation is to combine this with farming of materials with AI fighters. More on those in our Mortal Kombat 11 farming and our Mortal Kombat 11 characters guides respectively. There was a method when the game first came out for unlocking these chests where you exploit a glitch as you load into the Krypt, however I have now tested this with the latest version and this is now confirmed to no longer work.
Mortal Kombat 11 250 heart chest locations
First and foremost, a massive shout out to the Mortal Kombat 11 Reddit community for joining forces with each other to make a massive list of unlockable items. In a list compiled by Reddit user “TheCursedTroll”, this would have been a massive undertaking without them, so we’ll summarise their findings in a table below. I’d recommend searching for the character to see where their corresponding chest is. Each one costs a whopping 250 hearts to unlock.
While most of these have the region, some information is scarce. We will be looking at filling in the blanks, but for now just look for the coordinates and any supplementary descriptions. Note that coordinates can appear in minus figures.
|Character chest||Chest contents||Chest location & coordinates|
|Baraka||Brutality - Cut Up
Skin - Dead Pool Despoiler
Arm Blades - Okrakan of the Struggle
Head Gear - Invader of the Lei Chen
War Banner - Ensign of the Ten Hells
Augment - Horns of Battle
|Gardens (5646, 5216)|
|Cassie Cage||Brutality - You Got BLB'd
Skin - Space Titanium
Pistol - Imported HK Snapdragon
Shades - Rowdy AF
Drone - Tiny Dancer
Augment - Crashing Eagle
|Courtyard Cave (-3071, -2738)
Requires Dragon Amulet
|Cetrion||Brutality - Smoked Flesh
Skin - Iron Will
Goddess Crown - Lucifina Hellborne
Eternal Corona - Brunhilde
Living Tendril - Talons of the One Beast
Augment - Bone Shattering Stone
|Courtyard (-788, -9370)
Pull the two chains nearby to ignite the flames, then put on the blindfold to see the other two chains to pull.
|D'Vorah||Brutality - Come My Child
Skin - Inner Sight
Implanters - Lavendrix
Skin Clenching Antilions
Augment - Hive Defender
|Kytinn Hive (5205, 1184)|
|Erron Black||Brutality - Kiss My Spur
Skin - Ruckus
Black Hat - Born in the 915
Rifle - Moosehunter .338
Pistol - Rhythm & Blues
Augment - Stockpile of Corrosives
|Wooden Bridge (-1055, -7033)|
|Lower Courtyard (-7550, -5528)|
|The Jails (-7748, 13987)
This is in Goro's Lair.
|Jade||Brutality - What Would Mileena Do?
Skin - Olivine
Mask - The Imperial Gem
Razor-Rang - Amethyst Killstar
Staff - Stolen Thunder of Chun Hao
Augment - Kiss the Dirt
|The Dead Woods (3465, -1136)|
|Courtyard (8020, -4958)
By the Sektor Body puzzle
|Jax||Brutality - I Said Sleep
Skin - Fast Mover
Bionic Arms - Horton's Healers
Belt Buckle - Dashaloo Campaign
Thumper - Boot Camp
Augment - Tectonic Force
|Courtyard (-70, 3835)
Near the throne by the start.
|Johnny Cage||Brutality - At the Doooor
Skin - Hollywood Hunk
Glasses - Diamond Cutter
Hand Wrap - Paladin of Pugilism
Buckle - Driven to Greatness
Augment - Wire Funds
|The Dojo (3076, -4092)|
|Kabal||Brutality - Screamer
Skin - Speed Freak
Face shield - Hardcore Black Dragon
Hook swords - Gift of the Shaolin Monks
Gas canister - Bromantan
Augment - Leg Shredder
Across the 2000 soul bridge. Behind a skeleton key.
|The Courtyard (-2984, 4718)
This one is accessed by the lift in Goro's Lair, found at -6757, 2622.
Skin - Daughter of Hell
|Lower Pit (-7470, - 975)|
|Kotal Khan||Brutality - Sawed
Skin - Coatepec
Macana - Macana of the Osh-Tekk
Hook - Tochtli Blood Sicles
Totem - Talisman of the Osh-Tekk
Augment - Focused Beam
|Courtyard Cave (6648, -4487)
Just before the lift to Goro's Lair
|Kollector||Brutality - Slice Slice Slice
Skin - Bootleg
Satchel - J. Cage Fall Kollection
Rocks - Kartazian Ember
Idol - Shaolin Dragon
Augment - Magical Redirection
|Goro's Lair (5422, -1445)
Inside the Kollector's Room
|Goro's Throne Room (-1545, -3414)
Left of Goro's corpse.
|Liu Kang||Brutality - Insert Koin
Skin - Streets of Fire
Headband - Pouncing Tiger
Nunchaku - Phoenix Wings
Bracers - Devastating One Knuckle Punch
Augment - Bond of Fire
|Kytinn Hive (-5487, -1830)
Requires Dragon Amulet - open the door by the wheel puzzle.
|Noob Saibot||Brutality - More Portals More Problems
Skin - Great Bi-Han's Ghost
Mask - Gao Yang
Sickle - Primordial Kombat
Shadow - Soul of Immortal Victory
Augment - Sudden Sunset
|Goro's Lair (-3464, -2183)
This one is in the Dining Hall, next to the elevator.
|Raiden||Brutality - God's Wrath
Skin - Lightning Tempest
Hat - Patron of the Shaolin
Staff - Darkcloud
Medallion - Gift of the Elder Gods
Augment - Bound Lightning
|Goro's Lair - (13228, 4965)
Back of the Fortress Treasure Chamber in Goro's Lair. This is the big room with lava and swinging pendulums.
|Scorpion||Brutality - Save Me A Slice
Skin - Punisher
Ninja Mask - Sama of the Shirai Ryu
Katana - Fumio Hasashi's Wrath
Spear - Hokkaido Ablaze
Augment - Soul Piercing Throw
|The Jails (-6864, 1181)|
|Shao Kahn||Brutality - Head Kabob
Skin - Blood Stone Butcher
Wrath Hammer - Sunbreaker
Emperor's Helmet - Shinnok's Adversary
Lance - Kahngorin Lance
Augment - Strong Arm Throw
|The Torture Halls (1767,6455)
This room contains the Reptile statue.
|Skarlet||Brutality - Beautiful Blood
Skin - Erythrocyte
Mask - Bloody Bewitcher
Blade - Bloodmaster's Handblade
Blood Vial - Mileena's Bastard Blood
Augment - Befouling Torrent
|Chamber of Suffering (-5208, 4919)|
|Sonya Blade||Brutality - Kisses
Skin - Army Brat
Head gear - Model Soldier
Gloves - Shock and Awe
K.A.T Turret - Rolling Thunder
Augment - Mobility Breaker
|The Vault (5085, 1618)|
|Sub-Zero||Brutality - Butchered
Skin - White Stalker
Mask - Cryomancer of War
Axe - Rime Axe of Shanshen
Belt - Grandmaster's Deadly Arsenal
Augment - Surging Frost
|Armoury (-5426, -5804)|
Mortal Kombat 11 100 heart chest locations
These ones are also fixed in place, but it’s currently not as well researched. These are Scorpion themed, requiring you to unlock them by hooking nearby lanterns. They cost 100 hearts to open. Below are the currently confirmed ones, again courtesy of the Mortal Kombat 11 Reddit community post.
- Goro’s Dining Hall (-807, -88)
- Kotal Kahn Nopalla Skin
- Kotal Kahn Macana: Shining Ocelot Maqahuitl
- Erron Black Hat: GhastlyRider
- Jade Razor-Rang: Deadly Hand of Bell Yim
- 200 Time Krystals
- Rusty Antique Six Shooter (Forge Item)
- Dead Woods (7111, -3899)
- Jacqui Briggs Right Slipshot Right Gauntlet
- Jax Briggs Uncomfortable Ally Skin
- Cassie Cage STFU Pistol
- Jax Briggs Steel Dragon Bionic Arms
- 200 Time Krystals
- Busted Black Market Gauntlet (Forge Item)
- Goro’s Lair (2634, -8226) (behind the fire trap)
- Kano On the Bottle Skin
- Kano Jacks Epic Eye Eye Shield
- Kabal Weeping Nightmare Face Shield
- Erron Black Hella Wicked Black HAt
- 200 Time Krystals
- Bent Hook Swords (Forge Item)
Once you’ve opened all of the chests at least once, you’ll not get a massive amount from sealing them back up and reopening them, unless you’re specifically looking for Skeleton Keys. The Krypt Shrine however does still have some valuable gear to unlock, mostly skins and parts, but you’ll need to make a sizeable donation. When you first start out, make sure you put in the minimum Koins to unlock a key item. From that point onwards, make sure you’re only donating 75,000 Koins if you want parts for characters, and 100,000 Koins for new skins.
Krypt key item locations
Before we go, you’ll want to get around the Krypt as fully as possible. Here are the key item locations you’ll want to obtain in Mortal Kombat 11:
- Shao Kahn’s Hammer – found at the Palace Entrance on the altar, destroys crumbled walls and pots.
- Motaro’s Horn – Smash the meteorite that plunges into the Warrior Shrine to find a gem. Head back into the courtyard and smash behind the big structure with the lions. Head through and open the door at (1560, 5249). The horn is behind the barricade, and behind a switch. It’s at (4689, 1587), and opens the door to Goro’s Lair at the Warrior’s Shrine.
- Ermac’s Soul – Found in the Lower Pit. From Goro’s Throne Room, head left from his corpse through the tunnel and open the chamber. Go up the stairs and around until you see another chain to pull. Pull it and find the elevator that goes up. Ermac will plunge into the pit, so examing his corpse to find his amulet. Interacts with glowing green items.
- Spear of Hanzo Hasashi – From Goro’s Throne Room, go right from Goro’s corpse and through the open door to the left to go into the Armoury. You’ll find the Spear of Hanzo Hasashi glowing in this chamber. Can be used to pull down lanterns to open doors or corpses for a heart.
- Kenshi’s Blindfold – From Goro’s Throne Room, go right from Goro’s corpse and pull the chain. Head through to Goro’s Treasure Chamber. Continue through until you come across Kenshi’s Last Stand. The blindfold is on his corpse and allows you to see secret paths to smash through walls or open secret chests. Consumes green spirit energy rather slowly and you can be killed by ghosts randomly.
- Reptile’s Claw – Look for a secret passage using Kenshi’s Blindfold in the Torture Halls.
- Amulet of Earthrealm’s Protector – Complete all the tutorial towers in the “Towers of Time” mode. This is outside of the Krypt mode.
- Fragments of the One Being (Heart, Mind, and Soul) – Perform 10 Fatalities, 10 Brutalities, and 10 Mercies to get all three. Must be performed in Towers of Time or Klassic Towers. Outside of Krypt mode.
- Heart of Blaze – Use the Fragments of the One Being to unlock the door in Goro’s Great Hall (3507, -5850). Avoid the traps and open the chest at the end that costs 80,000 Koins. Used with the Spear to light bodies on fire.
- Thunder God’s Shattered Staff – Insert the Amulet of Earthrealm’s Protector into the Raiden statue the meteor hit to restore the statue.
- Dragon Amulet Keystone – Open the door with the Skeleton Key on the second floor of Goro’s Dining Hall. Take the left past the trap hallways to find the Thunder God’s Door. Use the Thunder God’s Shattered Staff to open it. Take the first left on the platform, avoiding any traps to find a chest that requires 20,000 Koins to open. The Amulet is inside.
- Kronika’s Amulet – Go to the shrine and use it. The first time you use it, you’ll always get this amulet, so don’t spend more than 1000 Koins.
- Shinnok’s Amulet – Craft it at the Forge by using “Ensorcelled Demon’s Heart”, “Ensorcelled Gem of Trapped Souls”, and “Ensorcelled Eye of a Dragon”. These are found in the following locations and costs 60,000 Koins and 1500 Soul Fragments to make:
- Demon’s Heart – In chests
- Gem of Trapped Souls – In the Dead Woods Soul Vault – costs 10,000 Soul Fragments
- Eye of a Dragon – Kill spiders in the Kytinn Hive in Goro’s Lair. In the Torture Halls opened by the Skeleton Key.
- Cetrion’s Amulet – Perform 50 Fatalities against Cetrion in any of the Klassic Towers or Towers of Time. You can game this by loading in and out of the Survivor tower until Cetrion appears first. Score a fatality in the first round, then quit when the next fighter appears. You’ll then be able to go back and fight Cetrion again.
That’s everything you need to know about the Krypt in Mortal Kombat 11. in the game. If you want to get some hearts there are a few ways that you can do it. You can either go to our Mortal Kombat 11 farming guide to learn more about how to quickly obtain them. You can also perform some fatalities or Brutalities, so find out how in our Mortal Kombat 11 fatalities or Mortal Kombat 11 brutalities guides.