Your Apex Legends loadout should be something you’re constantly thinking about over the course of a match. Out of 23 unique guns in Apex Legends, you can only hold two at any given time. It’s a design choice that forces you to constantly reassess your needs, and make sure you pick the right tools for the task ahead.
Our Apex Legends loadout guide will walk you through how to make good choices while picking your weapons over the course of a match, as well as delving into some of the top loadouts that’ll allow you to kick off Season 4 with a bang.
For a more general overview of Apex Legends and everything it does differently from its competitors, take a look at our Apex Legends tips. You’ll also find links there to all the other pages in our Apex Legends guides series, from detailed stats and spray patterns on all the Apex Legends guns & weapons to finding the best loot and the best places to land in our Apex Legends map and locations guide.
Apex Legends loadout guide – Season 4 best loadouts
At the beginning of every match in Apex Legends, you start with nothing and must quickly gather up as much nearby loot as possible, from weapons and attachments to armour and healing items. This guide will help you get your bearings on the best weapon combinations and loadouts to use in Season 4.
- Picking your Apex Legends loadout – the golden rules
- Apex Legends best loadouts & weapon combos
- #1: Charge Rifle + Prowler
- #2: R-301 Carbine + Peacekeeper
- #3: Longbow + R-99
- #4: R-301 Carbine + R-99
- #5: Spitfire + Peacekeeper
Rules are made to be broken, but if you’re just starting out it’s probably best to abide by the below three golden rules before you branch out into bizarre-o territory with your weapon loadouts.
- At least one full-auto weapon. In general, full-auto weapons win out. There’s a reason for the dominance of SMGs (and, to a lesser extent, Assault Rifles) in Apex at the moment.
- At least one close-range option. Apex Legends is a fast-paced, mobility-oriented game, and as such most fights tend to be close-quarters. You can do without a long-range weapon if you like, but you really can’t do without a close-range option. Shotguns and SMGs are your best choice here.
- Preferably a combo that covers all ranges. Again, you can do without a sniper rifle if need be, but if you stick purely to close range or medium range weapons (if, for example, you pick two shotguns, or a Scout and a Flatline) then you may run into trouble against certain enemy teams with loadouts more suited to the encounter. Certain guns, such as the Wingman or the Triple Take, are effective at pretty much any range, so they’re a good option when it comes to this rule.
- Beware of ammo requirements. Your inventory size is limited, and certain guns eat up ammo incredibly quickly. If you have one such weapon (an LMG or SMG), then it might be a good idea to make your other weapon a low-ammo-requirement gun such as a Wingman or Shotgun, to make space for the ammo you need for your other weapon.
- Use attachments to guide your loadout decisions. Guns in Apex Legends are only as good as their attachments. If you’ve a Prowler without a Selectfire Receiver, but you do have a purple Light Mag and you spot an R-99 lying around with some ammo, then it’s probably better to make the swap. Attachments trump nearly any disparity in general weapon strength.
Now let’s take a look at some of the most powerful Apex Legends loadouts that you’re likely to see heading into the end-game of each match:
- Pros: Two of the very strongest weapons in the game. Both blisteringly powerful, and together they cover all effective ranges.
- Cons: While the Charge Rifle doesn’t require much to reach its full potential, the Prowler absolutely needs a Selectfire Receiver and Extended Mag to become godlike.
- Alternatives: For a more traditional Sniper, swap out the Charge Rifle for a Sentinel or Longbow. The Prowler can also happily switch out for an R-99 if you find enough Light attachments/ammo.
- Pros: A classic, year-old combo. It’s hard to find more reliable guns than these. The Peacekeeper in particular is very ammo-efficient, and both guns pack a massive punch.
- Cons: The R-301 Carbine is quite the attachment-whore. You’ll need to fully kit it out to get the most out of it. And while its range is decent, it certainly won’t compete with something like a Charge Rifle at long-range.
- Alternatives: The VK-47 Flatline is a decent Heavy alternative for the Carbine, and the EVA-8 Auto with its Double-Tap Hop-Up is arguably just as strong as a Peacekeeper, if not stronger.
- Pros: Long-range dominance combined with close-range dominance. The Longbow DMR can weaken enemies from afar, and the R-99 can finish them off at close-range.
- Cons: The R-99 is very ammo-hungry, so you’ll need lots of Light Rounds with you. The Longbow can also let you down unless you’re very good at hitting your shots.
- Alternatives: For a bigger punch (at the cost of fire rate), swap out your Longbow for the new Sentinel (or as I call it, the Kraber-lite). The R-99 can swap for a Prowler, or even a Carbine.
- Pros: An immensely strong loadout for mid-to-close-range. Double your firepower with two amazing automatic weapons.
- Cons: You’ll need two of every Light attachment, and a tonne of Light Rounds to make this work.
- Alternatives: To lighten the load on your Light Rounds, pick up a Prowler instead of an R-99, or a Flatline over the Carbine.
- Pros: The ammo-efficiency and relative attachment-autonomy of the Peacekeeper gives you room to accommodate the very ammo-hungry M600 Spitfire. Unmatched destructive power.
- Cons: Not the best for long ranges due to the high recoil of the LMG. You’ll need lots of Heavy Ammo and attachments, and to be good at hitting your shots with tricky weapons.
- Alternatives: Again, the EVA-8 is a great alternative to the Peacekeeper. As for the Spitfire, any LMG will do, particularly if you’re lucky enough to find a Devotion in a crate.
Those are the main candidates for the strongest loadouts in Apex Legends for Season 4 so far. But keep checking back here for all the latest and most powerful weapon combos in this high-octane battle royale!