Wading into the collectible card game scene with a large amount of swagger, it seems that Legends of Runeterra has gotten a lot of people talking. Runeterra offers something for everyone, whether that is the competitive nature of building constructed decks or the unique drafting experience that is Expeditions. There’s a lot of things to learn about the game, even if you’re a Magic the Gathering veteran or have sunk many hours into Hearthstone.
Legends of Runeterra guide
This Legends of Runeterra guide will go over the steps needed to play the game, as well as provide beginner’s tips and tricks to help get you going. You’ll also find links to the rest of our guides for the game, including the best decks.
Legends of Runeterra guide contents
- When is the Legends of Runeterra open beta?
- How to get into Legends of Runeterra beta
- Legends of Runeterra tips
When is the Legends of Runeterra open beta?
The Legends of Runeterra open beta has already begun, as it began on 24th January, 2020. In order to play it, you’ll just need a PC that has Windows 10 64-bit and a minimum of a 3GHz processor, 4GB RAM, and a graphics card with 512MB+ VRAM.
Runeterra beta end date
Legends of Runeterra beta does not have an end date. We do not currently know when the game will transition from the beta build to its first season.
It seems that since Riot are going to be updating the game at a regular pace, as they have released Runeterra patch notes. It’s a very similar approach to how Riot handled the beta for Teamfight Tactics. This means that there shouldn’t be any downtime outside of when the game is being patched.
What’s a little less clear is how Riot will handle the full release of Legends of Runeterra. Will they overhaul it completely as they did with Teamfight Tactics, or will we still be able to play the same cards that have been part of the beta? We’ll bring you more details as soon as we have them, but for now, just note that Runeterra will have its full release at some point in 2020.
The Legends of Runeterra beta requires that you have signed up for it. In addition, if you pre-registered for the beta, you will get the Moonstruck Poro avatar. To access Legends of Runeterra, you’ll need to acquire a League of Legends account, which you can do so by creating one via their website. Once you’ve signed up and signed in, you’ll be able to download and install the client.
Once you’ve installed it, log into your account and the game’s executable will appear. You may need to wait until Riot approves of your account, so use this time to look at our How to Play Legends of Runeterra guide. It’ll give you a heads up on everything the game has to offer. Additionally, you can check our dedicated guides on Runeterra keywords and How Runeterra rounds work.
Once you’re in, you can begin to look at creating your own decks, or maybe just look at our Runeterra best decks guide and import some really good decks to unlock.
Legends of Runeterra tips
Finally, here are the best Legends of Runeterra tips to get you started when it comes to building decks, when you are playing the game, gaining XP fast, and even Expeditions mode. More tips will be added over the course of the next few months, so keep checking back for new tips and tricks.
- 1. When coming up with decks, certain regions tend to have some synergy with other regions. The pre-constructed decks you unlock are a good start in working this out, but it’s important to experiment with combinations.
- 2. Test your constructed deck against the AI before going into online battles. This will enable you to work out where the failings with your deck are and adjust accordingly.
- 3. Cards are purchased via packs that are bought with crystals. Crystals are the in-game currency you get when you play online matches. You’ll also get wildcards from packs that can be used to make specific cards.
- 4. When using Wildcards, try to make the deck with cards that you have already unlocked first before spending Wildcards to complete the deck.
- 5. I highly recommend looking at our Runeterra vault guide for tips to get rewards quickly, as rewards unlock cards for free.
Playing Legends of Runeterra
- 6. Don’t just slap everything onto the battlefield when attacking. You may want to keep back some units that may have effects that rely on it being alive.
- 7. If the opponent has spell mana and cards in their hand, be wary of potential hidden spells that could disrupt your plans.
- 8. Cards are usually hidden, but if you’ve returned one to a player’s hand or is otherwise revealed, it stays revealed.
- 9. On the far left-hand side of the screen is a log of all the actions in the previous round. This is so you can have a grasp of what was played and work out what might still be in the opponent’s hand. This is shown on the top left of the screen.
- 10. You can pick up multiple units to drag onto the battlefield. From what we’ve seen, you click and drag over the multiple units to pick them up in a batch, then release them onto the battlefield to attack.
- 11. Your Nexus is a resource. Sacrificing some Nexus life total to enable units that won’t survive a defence attempt to gain that extra bit of damage is good in certain cases.
- 12. You may be running the same decks as your opponents, some found in our Runeterra best decks guide. Study how better players play as they may time casting certain spells during key moments that turn the tide of the game.
Getting extra experience for more Runeterra cards
- 12. Make sure to complete as all the tutorials. You’ll get invaluable experience that goes towards your rewards, netting you more cards for free.
- 13. When you’ve completed all the tutorials, play some games against the AI for even more free experience by completing daily quests.
- 14. Don’t like a daily quest? You can click the Reroll button on the top left of the daily quests menu.
- 15. Experience goes towards the Weekly Vault. Every level up increases the value of your card rewards when it unlocks every Tuesday.
- 16. You can purchase Wildcards and a Starter Bundle for premium currency, but you can only get a limited amount of Wildcards daily. Work out if you need the Wildcards in the first place, then only buy what you need for decks.
- 17. When you are drafting in an Expedition, try to keep a note of which cards you have drafted and then work out which cards have the most synergy with them.
- 18. You can have more than three copies of any one particular card in a draft deck. This is not possible in a standard constructed deck, so if you see a fourth Glimpse Beyond, don’t be afraid to take it.
- 19. Since draft decks are more random than constructed ones, nobody can predict what you have in your hand if you leave some mana behind.
- 20. If you are just not feeling the deck you are playing, try to work out which cards are the culprits. You are able to trade certain cards after certain matches, so if you know ahead which ones are bad, that makes the trade choice easier.
- 21. Even if you’re not confident at winning game seven, give it a go anyway. You do get two runs in Expeditions, so there’s not a great deal to lose.
- 22. Some cards are indeed better than others for drafting. Look at our Runeterra Expeditions guide to see which ones, but also study how other better players use their drafted cards. It may help you win later games.
And those are all of our Runeterra tips. Thanks for reading this guide. There’s no doubt that the game will change dramatically as the months progress, so be sure to consult our other Runeterra guides below for up-to-date tips, deck lists, and other key information.
Legends of Runeterra guides links
- Runeterra best decks – The best decklists currently available for Legends of Runeterra.
- Runeterra ranked mode – Explore how ranked mode works and what rewards you get for participating.
- Runeterra Expeditions – Learn Legends of Runeterra’s draft mode and see which cards are the best.
- Legends of Runeterra champions – Find out what each champion does and how to level up.
- Legends of Runeterra cards list – All of the follower and spell cards in Runeterra.
- How to Play Legends of Runeterra – Learn how to play the game, what cards do, and the turn order.
- Legends of Runeterra Ephemeral tutorial – Step by step instructions to complete this bothersome tutorial.
- Runeterra vault – Quick ways to gain XP and open better weekly vault prizes.
- Runeterra keywords – Definitions and unique interactions for cards explained.
- How Runeterra rounds work – An in-depth guide as to how rounds work.
- Runeterra patch notes – All the patch notes from the preview open beta patch to the present day.
- Runeterra player icons – Steps to change your player icon.
- Runeterra guardians – If you bought guardians, here’s how to change them.
- Runeterra boards – Those who have spent money on boards can learn how to change them here.