While the previous adventure had Ori running away from big monsters more often than not, Ori And The Will Of The Wisps has some more traditional boss fights. The first proper boss fight you’ll be facing will be against the Horn Beetle. Its attacks are rather simple to dodge, but it does have a couple of sneaky tricks up its insect sleeve.
How to defeat Howl
The general idea behind this boss fight is to run to a certain point, then hit the boss in the nose with an improvised weapon. We have a video showing the entire boss fight recorded by vid bud Matthew, which shows you what you need to do to complete this fight. If you can’t view the video, we have the steps you need to take below.
You’ll know you’re in for a chase sequence when Howl jumps in from behind as Ori stops on a small slope in Inkwater Marsh. Like all of the chase sequences in the game, if Howl touches Ori during this first bit, you’ll need to restart the sequence. Here are the steps you need to take to avoid his sharp claws.
- As soon as you regain control, hold right and don’t let go. Run down the slope and climb up the log.
- Keep running, even when Howl hits the platform that collapses with you on it.
- Climb up the wall and you will be hit upon reaching then top. Ori will be knocked towards a small fire.
Upon reaching the fire, Ori will grab one of the burning sticks and smack Howl in the face with it. This begins the second phase where you need to drive Howl away. Hitting Howl in the face with the fiery stick will do the trick eventually, but you need to time your attacks carefully. Howl does have a few attacks he can do that you should watch out for.
- As Howl raises his claw, try to move to the right as much as possible before his arm slams onto the ground.
- After roaring, Howl will give a little snarl, then walk forwards a step to bite. Go to the right to avoid it.
- If you’re too far away, Howl will leap towards you.
- Make sure you attack Howl by hitting him three or four times in a row with the fiery stick until the beasts staggers, giving you a bit of breathing room.
If you can get him to roughly half health and as far back as possible, Howl will stagger enough to fall off the slope. This will end the boss encounter and allow you to progress.
Ori And The Will Of The Wisps guides series
With those tips, Howl will be gone for now. You’ll able to continue on with your adventure. We have a bunch of guides readily prepared below that cover all sorts of things, from the locations of certain collectables, builds for Ori’s skills, and quest solutions. We also have all the boss fight/chase sequence guides in a separate list below that.
- Ori And The Will Of The Wisps guide – Our hub area for all of our guides for Ori And The Will Of The Wisps.
- Ori And The Will Of The Wisps Gorlek Ore locations – All the locations of the Gorlek Ores to rebuild Wellspring Glade.
- Ori And The Will Of The Wisps life cell fragment locations – Every location of the life cell fragments to increase your health.
- Ori And The Will Of The Wisps energy cell fragment locations – All the places you can find energy cell fragments to raise your energy bar.
- Ori And The Will Of The Wisps Spirit Shard locations – Places to find all the Spirit Shards in the game.
- Ori And The Will Of The Wisps map locations – All of Lupo’s locations in the game.
- Ori And The Will Of The Wisps quests – Every side-quest detailed from where to begin, the item you need, and the rewards you get for completing them.
- Ori And The Will Of The Wisps Hand To Hand quest – Steps to finish the longest side quest.
- Ori And The Will Of The Wisps Regrowing The Glades – Find all the seeds and replant them.
- How to solve Midnight Burrows bell puzzles – Unlock the secret area by solving the bell puzzles.
Ori And The Will Of The Wisps bosses
- Ori And The Will Of The Wisps boss guide – Our central bosses guides hub will walk you through each of the bosses, with some general top tips for fighting them.
- Horn Beetle boss fight – Defeat the first real boss of the game with ease with our strategy.
- Wellspring chase – Escape this horrifying tentacle monster’s pursuit by following our step by step guide.
- Feeding Grounds stealth section – Avoid the clutches of a giant bird in the desert.
- Mora boss fight – Defeat the giant spider.
- Baur's Reach avalanche chase – How to not get crushed beneath a torrent of snow.
- Kwolok boss fight – Make that frog come to his senses.
- Sand Worm chase – Escape the crumbling ruins and the Sand Worms mandibles.
- Willow Stone – How to shatter this mini-boss with ease.
- Shriek boss fight – Beat the giant owl once and for all.