Ori And The Will Of The Wisps has a fair number of boss fights, but this one is that shade creepier than most. This giant spider is Mora and she does all the things giant spiders like to do, but it also likes to make things very dark. She is utterly terrifying to fight if you’re not prepared, so this guide will go through all the steps needed to beat Mora.
Ori And The Will Of The Wisps Mora guide
Before you even start this boss fight, there are a couple of shards and skills that I highly recommend you equip. These are Sticky ability unlocked early on in the game for use in the chase sequence, and the Light skill found in the local area for the final part of the fight. Find out where to get them in our Ori And The Will Of The Wisps Spirit Shard locations guide.
This first phase has a mixture of melee attacks and projectiles that are surprisingly hard to avoid. Thankfully there is an energy crystal that regenerates after a certain amount of time.
- When the claws rise but Mora’s body doesn’t, she’ll slam her forelegs down. You can dash underneath her to avoid the attack and give you plenty of space.
- If Mora jumps, her slam causes shockwaves. Double jump and dash to dodge the shockwave.
- When she looks like she’s about to bite you, don’t be fooled. She’ll actually spit venom from the ground which will linger for a short time.
- When Mora is scrapping her claw on the ground, you can’t dodge underneath. Back off to avoid the slashing attack.
When you’ve taken about a quarter of her health away, Mora will stumble and break a wall. She gets some new attacks here (though there is no checkpoint at this stage) that can be avoided by either launching off the lantern or hanging off the cocoon.
- If you see spit, back off as she will soon scream. This will summon three small spiders. Kill these spiders before going back to the boss as they can climb walls.
- If you see Mora suck up air, climb the far left or far right wall as soon as possible. She’ll shoot a jet stream of acid.
- In a rather mean move, Mora can spit acid shots without much warning if you’re far away. The acid lingers when it hits the ground and her aim does track you. You can however use the bash ability to throw them back at Mora, damaging her in the process.
As long as you’re managing the smaller spiders, avoiding the acid pools, and bashing her head with attacks, you should get her down to half health. The good news is the game auto-saves at this point. The bad news is you now need to run.
At around half health, Mora will stumble into the background and yell, prompting two orange lanterns to drop to within your reach. This phase is the reason why we have the Sticky ability equipped, because there’s a climb up a log that’s a little tricky if you don’t have Sticky equipped. Here are the steps you need to take to escape Mora’s mandibles.
- As soon as they drop, use the bash ability to dash up them both.
- Climb up the wall and dash to the right to clamber onto the cocoon.
- Jump right, then use the grapple ability to latch onto the lantern above.
- Jumping left and right to clear the ledges, make your way up the hollow log.
- At the top, double jump, then dash to make it to the lantern. Grapple onto the wall.
- Immediately jump left and grapple onto the higher lantern.
- Wait for the log to tilt and dash through the gap.
After the chance sequence, you’ll get a second auto-save so you don’t need to run away again. The bad news is that this will be the last auto-save, but the good news is that Mora’s attacks are largely the same as the ones from the previous phase.
As for her attacks in this phase, she does thankfully lose the acid jet stream, but she gets two very powerful ones. There are two orange lanterns here, making avoiding some attacks harder to avoid than before.
- If Mora rears up, she’ll soon charge directly at the wall on the other side of the arena, slamming her claws at the end. Get to the far end of the wall it’s running towards to avoid being trampled or smacked. You can also use the lanterns to jump over her to avoid the attack.
- She can now make three shockwaves, one after the other.
- Sometimes if you’re too far away, she can jump and slam her claws into ground.
At around a quarter of her health, Mora will scream once more, causing intense darkness. Use the light skill to avoid being instantly killed. You’ll need to top up your energy to keep this skill active, so break the energy crystal that restores itself after around 20 seconds of being destroyed. Don’t use any skills other than this if you’re at low energy, because once you run out, you’ll likely die not long afterwards. She gains no additional attacks here, so just keep at it until you win.
Ori And The Will Of The Wisps guides series
With another Spirit obtained, it’s off to another area to fight another boss. If you have all of them, then you can make your way to the large door in the Willow’s End for the final showdown. We have more guides readily prepared below that cover all sorts of things, from the locations of life and energy cell fragments, builds for Ori’s skills, and tips for boss fights and chase sequences.
- Ori And The Will Of The Wisps guide – Our hub area for all of our guides for Ori And The Will Of The Wisps.
- Ori And The Will Of The Wisps Gorlek Ore locations – Every location of the Gorlek Ore locations to rebuild the village.
- Ori And The Will Of The Wisps life cell fragment locations – Every location of the life cell fragments to increase your health.
- Ori And The Will Of The Wisps energy cell fragment locations – All the places you can find energy cell fragments to raise your energy bar.
- Ori And The Will Of The Wisps Spirit Shard locations – Places to find all the Spirit Shards in the game.
- Ori And The Will Of The Wisps map locations – All of Lupo’s locations in the game.
- Ori And The Will Of The Wisps quests – Every side-quest detailed from where to begin, the item you need, and the rewards you get for completing them.
- Ori And The Will Of The Wisps Regrowing The Glades – Find all the seeds and replant them.
- Ori And The Will Of The Wisps boss guide – Our central bosses guides hub will walk you through each of the bosses, with some general top tips for fighting them.
- Howl boss fight – How to defeat the Wolf boss.
- Horn Beetle boss fight – Learn how to squish the giant charging bug.
- Wellspring chase – Evade the mass of tentacles in this challenging chase sequence.
- Feeding Grounds stealth section – Steps to avoid the big owl’s clutches.
- Kwolok boss fight – Make that frog come to his senses.
- Baur's Reach avalanche chase – How to not get crushed beneath a torrent of snow.
- Sand Worm chase – Escape the crumbling ruins and the Sand Worms mandibles.
- Willow Stone – How to shatter this mini-boss with ease.
- Shriek boss fight – Beat the giant owl once and for all.