Fuse was Season 8's addition to the Apex Legends roster, and his abilities are some of the most explosive we've seen in the game. He's far from a top-tier hero (so far!) but this Apex Legends Fuse guide is packed with practical tips and tricks for each of Fuse's abilities that will help you win fights even against top-tier Legends.
On this page:
- Apex Legends Fuse guide: strengths and weaknesses
- Fuse abilities
- Passive tips (Grenadier)
- Tactical tips (Knuckle Cluster)
- Ultimate tips (The Motherlode)
- Fuse tips and tricks: how to win with Fuse
Apex Legends Fuse guide: strengths and weaknesses
If you're thinking of playing as Fuse in Apex Legends, you should know up-front that he's not a top-tier character. Far from it. However, there's still use to be found in his abilities, and it's a good idea to learn him now so that you can dominate when Respawn inevitably decides to further increase the power of his toolkit!
The best thing about Fuse right now is his Passive ability, Grenadier, which allows him to hold more grenades and fire them far faster and further. This makes him a demon with an Arc Star. His Tactical and Ultimate abilities are fairly underpowered and they're never likely to deal the kind of damage you'd need to kill an enemy; but there are some hidden benefits that might help you to wrongfoot your opponents in a fight.
As with all the other Apex Legends characters, Fuse's toolkit is comprised of three unique abilities: a Passive (always in effect), a Tactical (rechargable on a short cooldown), and an Ultimate (must be charged over time).
- Passive: Grenadier - Stack an extra grenade per inventory slot. Fire grenades farther, faster, and more accurately.
- Tactical: Knuckle Cluster - Launch a cluster bomb that continously expels airburst explosives on impact.
- Ultimate: The Motherlode - Launch a bombardment that encircles a target area in a wall of flame.
Passive tips: Grenadier
Fuse's greatest asset is his Passive ability, Grenadier, which allows him to stack 2 grenades of the same type in a single slot. When it comes to firing grenades, he launches them with an arm cannon, allowing you to fire grenades far faster and further than any other Legend.
Here are our top tips for Fuse's Grenadier Passive:
- Fuse should be given priority with grenades, because he can do the most damage with them. It also frees up teammates' inventories for ammo and healing items.
- Arc Stars are by far the strongest weapon for Fuse. It's devastating when you're stuck with an Arc Star, and Fuse's fast-firing grenades make this far, far easier than with other Legends.
- The increased force of the grenades allows you to bounce Frag Grenades off walls far more effectively. Use this to your advantage when opponents are fighting from around a corner.
Tactical tips: Knuckle Cluster
Sadly, Fuse's Tactical ability, Knuckle Cluster, launches a cluster bomb a startling distance towards an enemy, but each explosive only deals 5 damage, and even if an enemy stands directly in the area of effect for the duration, they'll only take a total of about 45 damage - as much as a single Wingman shot.
As of Season 9, Fuse has two charges of his Knuckle Cluster which he can fire in quick succession, and they recharge one at a time, just like Bangalore's Smoke Canisters. This allows you to more effectively harass an enemy or zone an area, but canny enemies will know to push straight through the Cluster if they need to, because it really doesn't hurt too much.
Regardless, here are our top tips for Fuse's Knuckle Cluster Tactical:
- Knuckle Cluster can be used to break open doors and disable Caustic Gas Traps with ease. This is one of the best uses for the ability.
- You can't use Knuckle Cluster to destroy Wattson's Interception Pylon, because the Pylon will intercept it before it explodes.
- Knuckle Cluster can hurt Fuse himself, so be aware of this when using it.
- Many players, particularly at lower ranks, don't realise how little damage Knuckle Cluster does, and will panic when hit, leading them to make mistakes.
- In confined spaces, particularly indoors, you can fire a Knuckle Cluster to locate an enemy or try to flush them out of their hiding spot.
- Knuckle Cluster is a backup weapon at the very beginning of a match. If you're engaged in a punch-out with no weapons involved, shoot a Knuckle Cluster at the ground and run.
Ultimate tips: The Motherlode
Fuse's Ultimate, The Motherlode, fires a projectile into the air which explodes and forms a ring of Thermite fire on the ground beneath it. Anyone hit by the fire will take an initial 35 damage and then take low damage every tick for 5 seconds.
Here are our top tips for Fuse's Motherlode Ultimate:
- The flames can be used like Bangalore smokes, obscuring yourself from enemies. If you have a Digital Threat optic attachment, you can see through the fire with ease.
- Fuse can set himself on fire with this ability so be careful when using it near yourself!
- If hit once, the total damage dealt by the fire is 75 (or 95 if you stay in the fire). Players are also dramatically slowed by being on fire.
- You can't fire the Motherlode directly on yourself, but you can fire it directly in front of yourself and then run into the centre before the fire appears.
- Fuse's Ultimate is a decent zoning ability, particularly if there are chokepoints nearby. If you or your team need time to heal, reload, or regroup, the Motherlode can act as an effective deterrent for enemies attempting to push you.
- Just like with Knuckle Cluster, The Motherlode will be intercepted by Wattson's Interception Pylon.
- You can ADS while aiming the Motherlode for a 3x zoom if you need more precision while firing.
Fuse tips and tricks: how to win with Fuse
We'll round off this Fuse guide with a few more general tips and tricks on winning Apex Legends matches with Fuse:
- Don't substitute weapons for abilities. Most new Fuse players are too easily taken in by the promise of dealing damage with his abilities. You'll have a much greater chance of success if you rely solely on your guns for dealing damage, and use your Tactical and Ultimate to zone, destroy doors and enemy ability structures, and so on.
- Spam those grenades. If there's one thing Fuse does right, it's grenade spam. Grenade spam is a big part of Apex Legends, even more so in the final fights and final circles. If there's a Fuse on your team, give them your grenades, because he can fire them quickly and accurately enough that you have a good chance of dealing huge damage with them as him.
That should furnish you with enough knowledge to make the most of Fuse's abilities in Apex Legends. For more information on the other Legends, be sure to check out our Apex Legends characters guide.