Horizon has some of the flashiest abilities we've seen of any Apex Legends character. With her custom spacesuit and gravity-defying abilities, she has mastered the art of repositioning both her team and the enemy team to her advantage.
In Seasons 7 and 8, Horizon was by far the strongest Legend in the game. But the Season 9 patch notes hit her very hard. Is she still a top-tier character? Learn how to use each of her abilities to win fights with our Apex Legends Horizon abilities and tips page below.
On this page:
- Apex Legends Horizon guide: strengths and weaknesses
- Horizon abilities overview
- Passive tips (Spacewalk)
- Tactical tips (Gravity Lift)
- Ultimate tips (Black Hole)
- How to play Horizon - top tips and tricks
Apex Legends Horizon guide: strengths and weaknesses
Horizon was the Legend with the highest win rate in Apex Legends in Season 8. This was largely down to her Tactical, which used to allow her to strafe at high speed at the top of her Gravity Lift, beaming enemies below with perfect accuracy. Nowadays, this isn't part of her toolkit. She can barely strafe inside her Lift, and she's kicked out of the top of it after 2 seconds to prevent players from abusing her toolkit.
But take that away and you've still got a powerful set of abilities. Her Tactical adds yet another repositioning tool to the Apex Legends abilities roster, but the Gravity Lift can also be used to disrupt enemy movements, much like placing a Wraith portal or an Octane Launch Pad in a doorway. The same is true of her Ultimate, which can be combined with a barrage of grenades for a fairly easy and powerful synergy that can deal enormous damage to an enemy team if they can't escape the Black Hole's pull.
Horizon abilities overview
Horizon's abilities all revolve around the use (or defying) of gravity to reposition both allies and enemies to her team's advantage. Let's take a look at each ability in turn and what you can do with them:
- Passive: Spacewalk - Increase air control and reduce fall impacts with Horizon's custom spacesuit.
- Tactical: Gravity Lift - Reverses the flow of gravity, lifting players upwards and boosting them outwards when they exit.
- Ultimate: Black Hole - deploy NEWT to create a micro black hole that pulls players in towards it.
Spacewalk Passive tips
Thanks to Horizon's Spacewalk Passive ability, she is immune to the stun effect of falling great distances. Instead of landing hard, her boots will give out a soft puff of energy to cushion her fall. Alongside this, she can move slightly more freely in the air than other Legends, which works well with her Gravity Lift Tactical ability.
Here are our top Spacewalk tips for Horizon:
- With Spacewalk, you can feel much more free to jump down large drops in order to engage an enemy - but remember the same isn't true of your teammates.
- Thanks to Horizon's increased air control, she's the ideal character for learning how to do advanced manoeuvres such as tap-strafing.
Gravity Lift Tactical tips
Gravity Lift is an interesting Tactical ability on a short cooldown which creates a vertical cylinder that you can jump into which lifts anyone inside it. You can move around freely in the air while inside the lift (albeit rather slowly since the Season 9 nerf), and if you move outside the cylinder you'll gain a horizontal boost in the direction you're moving.
Here are our top Gravity Lift tips for Horizon:
- A quick Gravity Lift thrown at your feet can be used as an effective counter to an enemy Bangalore or Gibraltar ultimate, as you cannot be hit while in the air.
- You can throw a Gravity Lift into a doorway to obstruct an enemy's attempt to run inside, making it very useful for giving yourself enough time to recover, reload, or revive a teammate.
- Gravity Lift can throw incoming projectiles such as grenades wildly off-course, giving it some limited Interception Pylon-esque functionality.
- Gravity Lift is not nearly as powerful as a solo escape tool as it used to be. Instead, you should prioritise using it for its original purpose: as a team repositioning tool for taking high ground on an enemy.
Black Hole Ultimate tips
Black Hole is Horizon's Ultimate ability. Using it allows you to throw your bot, NEWT, a significant distance, after which it will create a micro black hole at its resting location which sucks in nearby players. The black hole lasts 10 seconds.
Here are our top Black Hole tips for Horizon:
- Black Hole takes 3 minutes to charge, and after NEWT lands it takes about half a second to actually deploy the black hole.
- The pull of the black hole can be fairly easily overcome by characters with a mobility tool, such as Wraith or Octane.
- The Black Hole's pull is more than strong enough to upset the usual A/D strafing of an enemy enough that they become an easier target to hit.
- Black Hole is particularly well-suited for pulling enemies out of cover while they're healing or reloading.
- The Black Hole can be destroyed if enemies deal 200 damage to it, and most players you encounter will know to do this, so it's best to use the Black Hole in a position where you're also able to fire on enemies while they're preoccupied. Otherwise it's rather a waste of an Ultimate.
How to play Horizon - top tips and tricks
Finally, let's finish up with some more general tips and tricks on winning Apex Legends matches as Horizon.
- Be quick with Gravity Lift, and careful with Black Hole. Your Tactical is on a fairly short cooldown and can be used at a moment's notice whenever you think it may help you. But using Black Hole at the wrong time will completely waste the ability, so you may want to save your Ultimate for the perfect moment, such as when the enemy is healing.
- Gain the high ground. The best thing about Horizon is that her mobility tool is useable by the whole team, and unlike Pathfinder's or Wraith's such tools, Horizon's tool is a Tactical rather than an Ultimate, so it can be used at a moment's notice. Look for opportunities to gain the high ground on an enemy team.
That's all we've got on Horizon for the time being. For more information on the other Legends be sure to consult our Apex Legends characters guide.