Want to learn how to create the best build for Kujou Sara in Genshin Impact? Kujou Sara is one of two new characters PC players have access to as part of Genshin Impact's V2.1 update. Her story and abilities are tightly bound up with that of the other new hero, the Raiden Shogun, since the Kujou Clan are devoted servants of the Electro Archon Baal. However, Kujou Sara has her own unique skills in combat — and, from a gameplay perspective, is also quite a bit easier to get hold of for your party than the Raiden Shogun. Read on below for our suggestions on putting together the best build for her.
How to build Kujou Sara as a support character in Genshin Impact
Kujou Sara is at her best when providing what I can only describe as general support to her team, since she can do a little bit of everything: take on a secondary or tertiary DPS role, buff the damage of other DPS characters, and provide Electro DMG for elemental reactions.
Best weapon: Amos' Bow
Alternative: Sacrificial Bow
In-story, Kujou Sara is a servant of the Electro Archon, and fittingly enough one of her best roles is as a supporting fighter. (She doesn't necessarily need to be in a party with the Raiden Shogun as your DPS main for this, even if it does make a nice kind of sense from a narrative perspective.) There are many good choices of Bow weapon for her to support this build, but I'm quite partial to Amos' Bow.
While it can be tempting to look for a bow whose effects tie in with Kujou Sara's Electro powers, there's a clean simplicity to Amos' Bow: it gives a 12% DMG increase to Normal and Charged Attacks, plus another 8% increase to that DMG every 0.1 seconds (stacking up to five times). This allows Kujou Sara to alternate and complement her elemental attacks with normal attacks, providing reliable DPS support to the rest of her team without getting bogged down in fancy combo maneuvers.
However, the prospect of kitting out a 4-star support character with a 5-star weapon is often an unappealing one, so consider substituting the Sacrificial Bow instead. Since Sara's best strength is her Elemental Skill, equipping this bow grants a good chance that the skill's cooldown will end immediately. It's not particularly flashy but it is very useful.
Best artifacts: Thundering Fury
Alternative: Noblesse Oblige
With her ability to deal Normal Attacks taken care of by a careful choice of bow, Kujou Sara's Artifact set can be focused entirely on her elemental attacks. The Thundering Fury set is an obvious but strong choice here, as it's designed specifically to empower Electro users. Equipping two pieces from the set boosts all Kujou Sara's Electro attacks by 15% DMG; and equipping four pieces gives a hefty +40% DMG to all her Elemental Reactions, as well as decreasing the cooldown on her Elemental Burst attacks when those reactions are triggered.
If you're struggling to get hold of a full set of Thundering Fury, Noblesse Oblige is a strong choice to fill out Kujou Sara's Artifact loadout in the interim, with its ever-reliable +20% DMG to all her Elemental Burst attacks when two pieces are equipped.
To build into Sara's support role, you should aim for a nice spread of physical and elemental bonuses in the stats and substats across her artifacts. Consider equipping pieces that feature the following:
- Circlet of Logos: CRITs
- Sands of Eon: Energy Recharge
- Goblet of Eonothem: Electro DMG Bonus
- Substats: ATK or CRITs
Talent priority: Tengu Stormcall (Elemental Skill)
Secondary: Subjugation: Koukou Sendou (Elemental Burst)
Kujou Sara's Elemental Skill Tengu Stormcall is her most powerful Talent, and the one you want to focus on developing first and foremost. It makes the best use of Kujou Sara's abilities both as a Bow wielding sub-DPS character and as an Electro-imbued supporting fighter for her party.
Here's a full list of Kujou Sara's Talents and their effects:
- Normal Attack: Tengu Bowmanship
- Normal Attack - Perform up to 5 consecutive shots with a bow.
- Charged Attack - Perform a more precise Aimed Shot with increased DMG. While aiming, crackling lightning will accumulate on the arrowhead. An arrow fully charged with the storm's might will deal Electro DMG. When in the Crowfeather Cover state, a fully-charged arrow will leave a Crowfeather behind after it hits.
- Plunging Attack - Kujou Sara fires off a shower of arrows in mid-air before falling and striking the ground, dealing AoE DMG upon impact.
- Elemental Skill: Tengu Stormcall - Kujou Sara retreats rapidly, summoning the protection of the Crowfeather for 18 seconds; when she fires a fully-charged Aimed Shot, Crowfeather Cover will be consumed, and will leave a Crowfeather at the target location. Crowfeathers will trigger Tengu Juurai: Ambush after a short time, dealing Electro DMG and granting the active character within its AoE an Attack Bonus based on Kujou Sara's Base Attack. The Attack Bonuses from different Tengu Juurai will not stack, and their effects and duration will be determined by the last Tengu Juurai to take effect.
- Elemental Burst:- Subjugation: Koukou Sendou - Kujou Sara casts down Tengu Juurai: Titanbreaker, dealing AoE Electro DMG. Afterwards, Tengu Juurai: Titanbreaker spreads out into 4 consecutive bouts of Tengu Juurai: Stormcluster, dealing AoE Electro DMG. Tengu Juurai: Titanbreaker and Tengu Juurai: Stormcluster can provide the active character within their AoE with the same Attack Bonus as given by the Elemental Skill, Tengu Stormcall. The Attack Bonus provided by various kinds of Tengu Juurai will not stack, and their effects and duration will be determined by the last Tengu Juurai to take effect.
- 1st Ascension Passive: Immovable Will - While in the Crowfeather Cover state provided by Tengu Stormcall, Aimed Shot charge times are decreased by 60%.
- 4th Ascension Passive: Decorum - When Tengu Juurai: Ambush hits opponents, Kujou Sara will restore 1.2 Energy to all party members for every 100% Energy Recharge she has. This effect can be triggered once every 3 seconds.
- Utility Passive: Land Survey - When dispatched on an expedition in Inazuma, time consumed is reduced by 25%.
- Main DPS: Beidou
- Sub DPS/support: Xingqiu
- Sub DPS/support: Kujou Sara
- Healer/Shields: Diona
5-star alternative: Raiden Shogun replacing Beidou as main DPS
Thanks to her origins as Raiden Shogun's banner-mate (and her canonical place as the Electro Archon's enforcer), Kujou Sara can be very satisfying to play as a support character to an Electro DPS. Despite its strengths Electro can be one of the trickier elements to balance in the main DPS role, and having two Electro characters in the party to enable the passive High Voltage resonance makes things significantly easier. High Voltage reduces the duration of Hydro effects when applied to your heroes, and guarantees Electro elemental particle drops from all Electro reactions (except for Swirl and Crystallise), which will beef up Sara's and the DPS's elemental attacks. If you don't have the Shogun in your roster, there are several 4-star Electro characters suitable to DPS on Sara's team instead: I recommend Beidou, since she's a pretty capable DPS even without Sara's support.
As one of the best 4-star characters in the game, Xingqiu is never a bad choice of sub DPS, and when teamed up with two Electro characters, he can trigger the Electro-Charged reaction to deal continuous Electro damage over time. Diona is a great choice for the final place: in an attack-heavy team that's light on defence in places, she can pull double duty as both healer and shield provider, and her Cryo elemental powers combine with Electro for the formidable Superconduct reaction.
How to level up Kujou Sara in Genshin Impact
To fully ascend Kujou Sara, you will need the following materials:
|1||1 Vajrada Amethyst Sliver, 3 Dendrobiums, 3 Damaged Masks, and 20,000 Mora|
|2||3 Vajrada Amethyst Fragments, 2 Storm Beads, 10 Dendrobiums, 15 Damaged Masks, and 40,000 Mora|
|3||6 Vajrada Amethyst Fragments, 4 Storm Beads, 20 Dendrobiums, 12 Stained Masks, and 60,000 Mora|
|4||3 Vajrada Amethyst Chunks, 8 Storm Beads, 30 Dendrobiums, 18 Stained Masks, and 80,000 Mora|
|5||6 Vajrada Amethyst Chunks, 12 Storm Beads, 45 Dendrobiums, 12 Ominous Masks, and 100,000 Mora|
|6||6 Vajrada Amethyst Gemstones, 20 Storm Beads, 60 Dendrobiums, 24 Ominous Masks, and 120,000 Mora|
|Total||168 Dendrobium, 46 Storm Beads, 36 Ominous Masks, 30 Stained Masks, 18 Damaged Masks, 9 Vajrada Amethyst Chunks, 9 Vajrada Amethyst Fragments, 6 Vajrada Amethyst Gemstones, 1 Vajrada Amethyst Sliver, and 420,000 Mora|
Dendrobium is moderately noteworthy for not being sold by any vendors in the game, but can be foraged from more or less anywhere around Kujou Sara's native Inazuma. Masks are obtained from defeated Hilichurl enemies, while Storm Beads are exclusively dropped by Thunder Manifestations of Level 30 and above.
To fully level up one of Kujou Sara's talents, you'll need:
|Talent Level (+ required Ascension Level)||Materials|
|2 (2)||6 Damaged Masks, 3 Teachings of Elegance, and 12,500 Mora|
|3 (3)||3 Stained Masks, 3 Guides to Elegance, and 17,500 Mora|
|4 (3)||4 Stained Masks, 4 Guides to Elegance, and 25,000 Mora|
|5 (4)||6 Stained Masks, 6 Guides to Elegance, and 30,000 Mora|
|6 (4)||9 Stained Masks, 9 Guides to Elegance, and 37,500 Mora|
|7 (5)||4 Ominous Masks, 4 Philosophies of Elegance, 1 Ashen Heart, and 120,000 Mora|
|8 (5)||6 Ominous Masks, 6 Philosophies of Elegance, 1 Ashen Heart, and 260,000 Mora|
|9 (6)||9 Ominous Masks, 12 Philosophies of Elegance, 2 Ashen Hearts, and 450,000 Mora|
|10 (6)||12 Ominous Masks, 16 Philosophies of Elegance, 2 Ashen Hearts, 1 Crown of Insight, and 600,000 Mora|
|Total||6 Damaged Masks, 22 Stained Masks, 31 Ominous Masks, 3 Teachings of Elegance, 21 Guides to Elegance, 38 Philosophies of Elegance, 6 Ashen Hearts, 1 Crown of Insight, and 1,652,500 Mora|
The materials given level up one of Sara's talents only — if you want to crown multiple of her talents, you need to collect all this multiple times. You can pick up the books required for her talents at the Violet Court domain (Wednesday/Saturday/Sunday only), while Ashen Hearts are exclusively picked up as rewards from completing the Signora Challenge at Level 70+. Finally, Crowns of Insight come from limited-time events or by making offerings to the Frostbearing Tree and the Sacred Sakura.
Kujou Sara's highest-level Constellations are something to aim for if you're building her up as your party's Electro support and/or sub DPS fighter. If, on the other hand, you're focusing on her as a pure DPS character, it may not be necessary to work all the way up to Level 6 — though obviously, if you get the chance to do so, the perks at that level are still bound to come in pretty handy.
Below is a full list of Kujou Sara's Constellations and what they do:
- Crow's Eye (Lvl 1): When Tengu Juurai grant characters Attack Bonuses or hits opponents, the Cooldown of Tengu Stormcall is decreased by 1 second. This effect can be triggered once every 3 seconds.
- Dark Wings (Lvl 2): Unleashing Tengu Stormcall will leave a weaker Crowfeather at Kujou Sara's original position that will deal 30% of its original DMG.
- The War Within (Lvl 3): Increases the level of Subjugation: Koukou Sendou by 3. (Maximum upgrade level is 15.)
- Conclusive Proof (Lvl 4): The number of Tengu Juurai: Stormcluster released by Subjugation: Koukou Sendou is increased to 6.
- Spellsinger (Lvl 5): Increases the level of Tengu Stormcall by 3. (Maximum upgrade level is 15.)
- Sin of Pride (Lvl 6): The Electro DMG of characters who have had their Attack increased by Tengu Juurai has its Crit DMG increased by 60%.
How to get Kujou Sara in Genshin Impact
As a 4-star character, Kujou Sara is able to be wished for at any time on any of Genshin's banners. However, if she's featured on a Character Event Wish banner, she'll have a massive drop rate increase — as has historically been the case whenever her original 5-star banner-mate, Raiden Shogun, gets a re-run. 4-star characters tend to be featured far more often than their 5-star pals, however, so expect to see Sara branching out and featuring on other character's event wish banners soon; for the meantime, though, she's just got a normal drop rate across the board.
With that, you know everything you need to put together a strong and reliable Kujou Sara build in Genshin Impact! With Kujou Sara's introduction in the V2.1 update, Genshin Impact's playable character roster has exceeded 40 heroes, and you might be wondering how you can possibly manage to collect them all. Luckily, help is at hand in the form of our guide on how to get more characters in Genshin Impact. Or, if you've decided to be more selective in your choice of potential party members, check out our Genshin Impact character tier list to help you decide who it's worth spending your precious currencies on trying to recruit.