Want to learn how to create the best Thoma build in Genshin Impact? As the chief retainer of Inazuma’s Kamisato Clan, Mondstadt native Thoma is always down to lend a helping hand, even aiding the player in their arrival to Inazuma. It makes sense, then, that he’s a support and sub-DPS character similar to Zhongli.
This guide will show you how to create the best Thoma build in Genshin Impact. Below we'll cover everything you need to know about Thoma, including wishing, weapons, artifacts, ascension materials, talents, abilities, and constellations.
Best Genshin Impact Thoma build for Support
Best weapon: Favonius Lance
Alternatives: Engulfing Lightning, "The Catch"
Thoma’s best Polearm is the easy-to-get Favonius Lance, which boosts Energy Recharge and makes his Talents readily available. A much more expensive way to increase Energy Recharge is Engulfing Lightning, which is essentially a 5-star version of the Favonius Lance. Finally, the fishing-themed "The Catch" increases Thoma’s Elemental Burst DMG, which will prove helpful since Thoma’s Burst should be one of your priorities.
Best artifacts: Emblem of Severed Fate
Alternatives: Tenacity of the Millelith
Thoma’s best artifact set is the Emblem of Severed Fate set, which can be obtained through the Momiji-Dyed Court domain in Inazuma. When used as a 4-piece set, Emblem of Severed Fate will boost Thoma’s Energy Recharge by 20% and increase his Elemental Burst DMG by 25% of his Energy Recharge. This set works excellently if you’re mainly utilizing Thoma’s Burst, though if you’re building him for his shield, you might want to try combining a 2-piece Emblem of Severed Fate with a 2-piece Tenacity of the Millelith, which can be obtained at the Ridge Watch domain between Mondstadt and Liyue and will increase Thoma’s HP by 25%. His shield scales off of his HP, so this added 25% bonus will help strengthen this ability. Here are the stats and substats we'd recommend for Thoma's Artifacts:
- Circlet of Logos: HP%
- Sands of Eon: Energy Recharge, HP%
- Goblet of Eonothem: HP%
- Substats: Energy Recharge, HP%, Flat HP
Talent priority: Crimson Ooyori (Elemental Burst) or Blazing Blessing (Elemental Skill)
Similar to Zhongli, Thoma’s talent priority really depends on what you need most for your team. If you’re looking to add more Pyro DMG to your team, leveling Thoma’s Elemental Burst first will help increase the damage he does. On the other hand, if your other team members are taking damage frequently (this especially applies if you don’t have a healer like Barbara or Kokomi on your team), you might want to prioritize Thoma’s Elemental Skill, which provides a shield for your party while also dealing some Pyro DMG. Whatever you choose, Thoma’s Normal Attack should trail behind — as a support and sub-DPS, his Normal Attacks aren’t built for frequent use. Here’s everything Thoma has to offer:
- Normal Attack - Performs up to four consecutive spear strikes.
- Charged Attack - Consumes a certain amount of Stamina to lunge forward, dealing damage to opponents along the way.
- Plunging Attack - Plunges from mid-air to strike the ground below, damaging opponents along the path and dealing AoE DMG upon impact.
- Elemental Skill: Blazing Blessing - Thoma vaults forward with his polearm and delivers a flame-filled flying kick that deals AoE Pyro DMG, while also summoning a defensive Blazing Barrier. At the moment of casting, Thoma's Elemental Skill applies Pyro to himself. The DMG Absorption of the Blazing Barrier scales off Thoma's Max HP. The Blazing Barrier has the following traits: Absorbs Pyro DMG 250% more effectively. When a new Blazing Barrier is obtained, the remaining DMG Absorption of an existing Blazing Barrier will stack and its duration will be refreshed. The maximum DMG Absorption of the Blazing Barrier will not exceed a certain percentage of Thoma's Max HP.
- Elemental Burst: Crimson Ooyori - Thoma spins his polearm, slicing at his foes with roaring flames that deal AoE Pyro DMG and weave themselves into a Scorching Ooyoroi. While Scorching Ooyoroi is in effect, the active character's Normal Attacks will trigger Fiery Collapse, dealing AoE Pyro DMG and summoning a Blazing Barrier. Fiery Collapse can be triggered once every 1s. Except for the amount of DMG they can absorb, the Blazing Barriers created in this way are identical to those created by Thoma's Elemental Skill, Blazing Blessing: Absorbs Pyro DMG 250% more effectively. When a new Blazing Barrier is obtained, the remaining DMG Absorption of an existing Blazing Barrier will stack and its duration will be refreshed. The maximum DMG Absorption of the Blazing Barrier will not exceed a certain percentage of Thoma's Max HP. If Thoma falls, the effects of Scorching Ooyoroi will be cleared.
- Passive Talent 1 - When your current active character obtains or refreshes a Blazing Barrier, this character's Shield Strength will increase by 5% for 6s. This effect can be triggered once every 0.3 seconds. Max 5 stacks.
- Passive Talent 2 - DMG dealt by Crimson Ooyoroi's Fiery Collapse is increased by 2.2% of Thoma's Max HP.
- Passive Talent 3 - When you fish successfully in Inazuma, Thoma's help grants a 20% chance of scoring a double catch.
- Main DPS: Yanfei
- Sub DPS: Xingqiu
- Support: Thoma
- Support: Sucrose
5* alternative: Hu Tao instead of Yanfei
Thoma's Pyro kit gives him plenty of potential for the Vaporize reaction, which occurs when Hydro mixes with Pyro. To take advantage of this, try pairing Thoma with Xingqiu, who can also provide useful buffs. Additionally, pairing Thoma with another Pyro character like Yanfei (or a 5-star like Hu Tao) can be extremely helpful, as you'll get the Pyro Elemental Resonance buff, which boosts your team's overall ATK and makes your team more resistant to Cryo. Finally, try finishing off your team with a crowd control-oriented character like Sucrose, who will allow your team to apply these Elemental Reactions to massive groups of enemies.
How to level up Thoma in Genshin Impact
To fully ascend Thoma, you'll need:
|1||1 Agnidus Agate Sliver, 3 Fluorescent Fungi, 3 Treasure Hoarder Insignias, and 20,000 Mora|
|2||3 Agnidus Agate Fragments, 2 Smoldering Pearls, 10 Fluorescent Fungi, 15 Treasure Hoarder Insignias, and 40,000 Mora|
|3||6 Agnidus Agate Fragments, 4 Smoldering Pearls, 20 Fluorescent Fungi, 12 Silver Raven Insignias, and 60,000 Mora|
|4||3 Agnidus Agate Chunks, 8 Smoldering Pearls, 30 Fluorescent Fungi, 18 Silver Raven Insignias, and 80,000 Mora|
|5||6 Agnidus Agate Chunks, 12 Smoldering Pearls, 45 Fluorescent Fungi, 12 Golden Raven Insignias, and 100,000 Mora|
|6||6 Agnidus Agate Gemstones, 20 Smoldering Pearls, 60 Fluorescent Fungi, 24 Golden Raven Insignias, and 120,000 Mora|
|Total||1 Agnidus Agate Sliver, 9 Agnidus Agate Fragments, 9 Agnidus Agate Chunks, 6 Agnidus Agate Gemstones, 46 Smoldering Pearls, 168 Fluorescent Fungi, 18 Treasure Hoarder Insignias, 30 Silver Raven Insignias, 36 Golden Raven Insignias, and 420,000 Mora|
Looking for Thoma’s ascension materials? Your best bet for obtaining Agnidus Agate is fighting the Pyro Hypostasis, as this boss will also drop the Smoldering Pearls you need. To find Fluorescent Fungi, head to Tsurumi Island in Inazuma. Finally, Insignias can be earned by fighting Treasure Hoarders around Teyvat.
To fully level up one of Thoma's Talents, you'll need:
|Talent Level (+ required Ascension Level)||Materials|
|2 (2)||6 Treasure Hoarder Insignias, 3 Teachings of Transience, and 12,500 Mora|
|3 (3)||3 Silver Raven Insignias, 2 Guides to Transience, and 17,500 Mora|
|4 (3)||4 Silver Raven Insignias, 4 Guides to Transience, and 25,000 Mora|
|5 (4)||6 Silver Raven Insignias, 6 Guides to Transience, and 30,000 Mora|
|5 (4)||9 Silver Raven Insignias, 9 Guides to Transience, and 37,500 Mora|
|7 (5)||4 Golden Raven Insignias, 4 Philosophies of Transience, 1 Hellfire Butterfly, and 120,000 Mora|
|8 (5)||6 Golden Raven Insignias, 6 Philosophies of Transience, 1 Hellfire Butterfly, and 260,000 Mora|
|9 (6)||9 Golden Raven Insignias, 12 Philosophies of Transience, 2 Hellfire Butterflies, and 450,000 Mora|
|10 (6)||12 Golden Raven Insignias, 16 Philosophies of Transience, 2 Hellfire Butterflies, 1 Crown of Insight, and 700,000 Mora|
|Total||3 Teachings of Transience, 21 Guides to Transience, 38 Philosophies of Transience, 6 Treasure Hoarder Insignias, 22 Silver Raven Insignias, 31 Golden Raven Insignias, 6 Hellfire Butterflies, 1 Crown of Insight, and 1,652,500 Mora|
To triple crown Thoma’s talents, you’ll need to collect all of these materials three times over. Good luck! Aside from obtaining Insignias by fighting Treasure Hoarders, finding materials for Thoma’s talents will require some daunting tasks. Transience Books can be won by completing the Violet Court domain in Inazuma on Mondays, Thursdays, and Sundays while Hellfire Butterflies can be obtained by completing the Narukami Island: Tenshukaku challenge. Finally, if you’re looking to fully level Thoma’s talents by crowning them, you can do so with Crowns of Insight, obtained through limited-time events or by making offerings to the Frostbearing Tree and the Sacred Sakura.
Since you’ll be prioritizing Thoma’s Burst and Skill, earning any Constellation that increases those abilities is a great goal to have, and with Thoma’s 4-star rarity, earning his Constellations is relatively attainable as well. His Constellation 2 is especially powerful for this reason, as it increases the duration of his Elemental Burst by a hefty 3 seconds. Thoma’s Constellation 1 and Constellation 4 also increase the amount of uptime his Skill and Burst get, allowing him to help your team out more frequently with both Pyro DMG and shields. Almost any of his Constellations are viable picks, though, and if you’re doing a lot of wishing, chances are, you’ll end up with one or more of the following:
- Constellation Lv. 1: A Comrade’s Duty - When a character protected by Thoma's own Blazing Barrier (Thoma excluded) is attacked, Thoma's own Blazing Blessing CD is decreased by 3s, while his own Crimson Ooyoroi's CD is decreased by 3s. This effect can be triggered once every 20s.
- Constellation Lv. 2: A Subordinate’s Skills - Crimson Ooyoroi's duration is increased by 3s.
- Constellation Lv. 3: Fortified Resolve - Increases the Level of Blazing Blessing by 3. Maximum upgrade level is 15.
- Constellation Lv. 4: Long-Term Planning - After using Crimson Ooyoroi, 15 Energy will be restored to Thoma.
- Constellation Lv. 5: Raging Wildfire - Increases the Level of Crimson Ooyoroi by 3. Maximum upgrade level is 15.
- Constellation Lv. 6: Burning Heart - When a Blazing Barrier is obtained or refreshed, the DMG dealt by all party members' Normal, Charged, and Plunging Attacks is increased by 15% for 6s.
How to get Thoma in Genshin Impact
Thoma is a 4-star character, meaning he's available at any time. He can be pulled by wishing on any standard or event banner; and he'll sometimes be featured on a 5-star's Character Event Wish banner with a boosted drop rate. We'll be sure to let you know the next time this happens.
That’s all the info we’ve got on Thoma! Why not check out our character tier list to see which other characters are good to wish for?