Want to learn how to create the best build for Tighnari in Genshin Impact? The introduction of Tighnari is quite a significant moment for Genshin Impact fans. The first 5-star character from Sumeru as introduced in Version 3.0, Tighnari is also the first Dendro 5-star (other than the Traveler). What's more, once his initial event banner ends in the gacha, he'll be the first 5-star since the game launched to join the standard wish pool, meaning that he'll be constantly available, though at a trade-off of a significantly reduced drop-rate.
In other words, Tighnari is here to stay, and he'll occasionally crop up in banner pulls for a long time to come. So read on for details of our favourite build for Tighnari, including his best weapons, artifacts, party members, and more.
How to build Tighnari as main DPS in Genshin Impact
Best weapon: Hunter's Path
4-star alternative: The Viridescent Hunt
You may not be surprised to know that the best weapon for Tighnari is the Hunter's Path, the 5-star bow that launched alongside Tighnari himself in Version 3.0. It's an ideal weapon for an archer with an expanded arsenal on their charged normal attacks (in other words, Tighnari and Ganyu). This bow provides a base increase of min. 12% to all elemental DMG; and hitting an opponent with a charged attack will increase the damage dealt by subsequent attacks of that type by at least 160% for either 12 hits or 10 seconds.
While it isn't quite as powerful as his signature weapon, The Viridescent Hunt makes a decent 4-star substitute for Tighnari (as well as still being surprisingly on-theme for him... it's still a green hunter's bow, after all). With this bow, normal and aimed shots have a 50% chance of generating a Cyclone effect which draws in opponents, dealing continuous damage to them based on 40% of Tighnari's ATK strength for the next 4 seconds.
Best artifacts: Martial Artist
- 2-piece set bonus: Normal Attack and Charged Attack DMG +15%
- 4-piece set bonus: Normal Attack and Charged Attack DMG +25% for 8 seconds after using Elemental Skill
At a 4-star rarity, Tighnari's best artifact set is refreshingly easy to obtain. Given the almost unique power of his charged attack, it'd just be a shame not to put any pieces of the Martial Artist set you have towards Tighnari's build. If you can, try to cap off the set with the following stats and substats on the artifacts:
- Circlet of Logos: CRITs
- Sands of Eon: ATK
- Goblet of Eonothem: Dendro DMG Bonus
- Substats: Elemental Mastery, CRITs, and ATK
Talent priority: Khanda Barrier-Buster (Normal Attack)
Secondary: Fashioner's Tanglevine Shaft (Elemental Burst)
Tighnari is one of the few characters in Genshin Impact whose normal attack is definitely his best feature, thanks to the extra benefits granted by his charged attack. While you shouldn't neglect his elemental skill (especially if you're using the Martial Artist artifact set), Tighnari's burst attack supplements his normal attacks very neatly, and should be your second priority when it comes to levelling up.
Tighnari's full list of talents are as follows:
- Khanda Barrier-Buster (Normal Attack):
- Normal Attack: Tighnari fires up to four consecutive shots with his bow.
- Charged Attack: Tighnari fires a precise charged shot that deals more damage. Charge level one fires an arrow that deals Dendro damage. Charge level two fires a Wreath Arrow that deals Dendro damage and spawns four Clusterbloom Arrows that track opponents and deal Dendro damage.
- Plunging Attack: Tighnari fires off a shower of arrows before hitting the ground, dealing AoE damage on impact.
- Vijnana-Phala Mine (Elemental Skill): Tighnari throws a Vijnana Stormheart that deals AoE Dendro damage and creates a Vijnana-Khanda field that confuses enemies within. Tighnari also gains the Vijnana-Penetrator effect which decreases Wreath Arrow charge time by 1.5 seconds. This effect ends after three Wreath Arrows are fired.
- Fashioner's Tanglevine Shaft (Elemental Burst): Tighnari fires six Tanglevine Shafts that track opponents and deal Dendro damage. After these hit, they create another wave of Tanglevine Shafts.
- Encyclopedic Knowledge (Utility Passive): When Tighnari is in the party, the location of nearby resources unique to Sumeru display on the mini-map.
- Keen Sight (1st Ascension Passive): After firing a Wreath Arrow, Tighnari's elemental mastery is buffed by 50 for four seconds.
- Scholarly Blade (4th Ascension Passive): For every point of Tighnari's elemental mastery, his charged attack and elemental burst damage are increased by 0.05%, with the total bonus capped at 50%.
- Main DPS: Tighnari
- Sub DPS: Collei
- Sub DPS: Fischl
- Support: Kuki Shinobu
5-star alternative: Zhongli replacing Shinobu in the support role
To make Tighnari's elemental attacks as effective as possible, placing him on a team that's 50/50 Dendro/Electro will allow you to repeatedly trigger Quicken, Spread, and Aggravate elemental reactions. Fischl and Collei in a joint-sub-DPS position can help with continuous debuff applications, while Shinobu can both provide Electro debuffs and provide healing. Alternatively, if you have Zhongli in your archive, he can provide a strong shield without risking interference with the elemental reactions (since Geo doesn't react with either Dendro or Electro).
How to level up Tighnari in Genshin Impact
To fully ascend Tighnari, you'll need the following materials:
|1||1 Nagadus Emerald Sliver, 3 Nilotpala Lotuses, 3 Fungal Spores, and 20,000 Mora|
|2||3 Nagadus Emerald Fragments, 10 Nilotpala Lotuses, 15 Fungal Spores, 2 Majestic Hooked Beaks, and 40,000 Mora|
|3||6 Nagadus Emerald Fragments, 20 Nilotpala Lotuses, 12 Luminescent Pollen, 4 Majestic Hooked Beaks, and 60,000 Mora|
|4||3 Nagadus Emerald Chunks, 30 Nilotpala Lotuses, 18 Luminescent Pollen, 8 Majestic Hooked Beaks, and 80,000 Mora|
|5||6 Nagadus Emerald Chunks, 45 Nilotpala Lotuses, 12 Crystalline Cyst Dust, 12 Majestic Hooked Beaks, and 100,000 Mora|
|6||6 Nagadus Emerald Gemstones, 60 Nilotpala Lotuses, 24 Crystalline Cyst Dust, 20 Majestic Hooked Beaks, and 120,000 Mora|
|Total||1 Nagadus Emerald Sliver, 9 Nagadus Emerald Fragments, 9 Nagadus Emerald Chunks, 6 Nagadus Emerald Gemstones, 168 Nilotpala Lotuses, 18 Fungal Spores, 30 Luminescent Pollen, 36 Crystalline Cyst Dust, 46 Majestic Hooked Beaks, and 420,000 Mora|
As one of Sumeru's early signature characters, Tighnari's ascension materials can quite easily be farmed simply by exploring the new nation and defeating enemies (both normal and boss types) found there.
To fully level up one of Tighnari's talents, you'll need the following materials. (If you choose to triple crown all three of his talents, you'll need to collect all of this three times over!)
|Talent Level (+ required Ascension Level)||Materials|
|2 (2)||6 Fungal Spores, 3 Teachings of Admonition, and 12,500 Mora|
|3 (3)||3 Luminescent Pollen, 2 Guides to Admonition, and 17,500 Mora|
|4 (3)||4 Luminescent Pollen, 4 Guides to Admonition, and 25,000 Mora|
|5 (4)||6 Luminescent Pollen, 6 Guides to Admonition, and 30,000 Mora|
|6 (4)||9 Luminescent Pollen, 9 Guides to Admonition, and 37,500 Mora|
|7 (5)||4 Crystalline Cyst Dust, 4 Philosophies of Admonition, 1 Meaning of Aeons, and 120,000 Mora|
|8 (5)||6 Crystalline Cyst Dust, 6 Philosophies of Admonition, 1 Meaning of Aeons, and 260,000 Mora|
|9 (6)||9 Crystalline Cyst Dust, 12 Philosophies of Admonition, 2 Meaning of Aeons, and 450,000 Mora|
|10 (6)||12 Crystalline Cyst Dust, 16 Philosophies of Admonition, 2 Meaning of Aeons, 1 Crown of Insight, and 700,000 Mora|
|Total||6 Fungal Spores, 22 Luminescent Pollen, 31 Crystalline Cyst Dust, 3 Teachings of Admonition, 21 Guides to Admonition, 38 Philosophies of Admonition, 6 Meanings of Aeons, 1 Crown of Insight, and 1,652,500 Mora|
Fortunately, as with his ascension materials, most of Tighnari's talent levelling materials are easily gained as you explore Sumeru. Even his books can be found in the new nation's Steeple of Ignorance domain, where they're a possible drop on Mondays, Thursdays, and Sundays. Getting his special higher-level will require a trip back to Inazuma, though, in order to take on Raiden Shogun's boss form at Lvl. 70+. Finally, Crowns of Insight can as always be obtained through limited-time events or by making offerings to the Frostbearing Tree and the Sacred Sakura.
It's generally inadvisable to rely too much on a 5-star character's Constellations for their build, since the investment of both time and money required to pull six duplicates from the gacha makes the prospect, if not unattainable, then at least unreliable for most players. However, there is a bit of a silver lining where Tighnari's concerned: only his first two Constellations directly support his primary use as a DPS, while higher Constellations give him more versatility as a sub-DPS or support character. So unless you're actively planning on an unusual build for Tighnari, you can definitely afford to leave him at C2, even if you choose to invest more wishes into him.
- Beginnings Determined at the Roots (C1): Tighnari's charged attack CRIT rate is increased by 15%.
- Origins Known From the Stem (C2): When opponents are within the Vajna-Khanda field, Tighnari gains 20% increased Dendro damage for six seconds.
- Fortunes Read Amongst the Branches (C3): Increases the level of Fashioner's Tanglevine Shaft by +3 (up to the max upgrade level of 15).
- Withering Glimpsed in the Leaves (C4): When Fashioner's Tanglevine Shaft is used, all party members gain 60 elemental mastery for eight seconds. If it triggers an elemental reaction, all party members' elemental mastery will be buffed by a further 60, and the duration of the buff will be refreshed.
- Comprehension Amidst the Flowers (C5): Increases the level of Vijnana-Phala Mine by +3 (up to the max upgrade level of 15).
- Karma Adjudged From the Leaden Fruit (C6): Wreath Arrow's charge time is decreased by 0.9 seconds and produces an extra Clusterbloom Arrow on hit.
How to get Tighnari in Genshin Impact
Tighnari is a 5-star character who was previously available on his own Character Event Wish banner, Viridescent Vigil. However, instead of getting intermittent reruns in the gacha, he joined the standard wish pool as a permanent addition from Version 3.1 onwards — the first 5-star character to do so since the game's release. From now on, therefore, he'll be available any time you pull on the Wanderlust Invocation (standard wish) banner, and will also be a non-promoted character on all Character Event Wish banners.
Unfortunately, this means that there's no way to guarantee pulling Tighnari — the best you can do is keep track of your pity and hope you get lucky. On the plus side, though, any wish on a banner that includes 5-star characters now has a small but real chance of pulling Tighnari for you.
If you're wondering how Tighnari measures up against the 50+ other playable characters in Genshin Impact, be sure to check out our Genshin Impact tier list to see our rankings! And if you're hoping to save up your currencies for Tighnari, be sure to take a look at our guide to getting more Primogems in Genshin Impact.