Want to learn how to create the best Xiao build in Genshin Impact? Anemo Polearm user Xiao is an adeptus and the last remaining member of the Yakshas dispatched to fight demons. His cold, edgy demeanor is a result of spending most of his time isolating himself from humans. Don’t worry, though: he also has a soft spot for Almond Tofu and the Traveler (and he’s perfect with almost any team comp!). While other Anemo characters like Venti focus more on crowd control abilities, Xiao’s strength is in his damage, making him a great main DPS.
This guide will show you how to create the best Xiao build in Genshin Impact. Below we'll cover everything you need to know about Xiao, including wishing, weapons, artifacts, ascension materials, talents, abilities, and constellations.
Best Genshin Impact Xiao build for main DPS
Best weapon: Primordial Jade Winged-Spear
Alternative: Skyward Spine
Xiao’s at his best when he has the Primordial Jade Winged-Spear, which grants its user a hefty attack bonus. Skyward Spine is also a great 5-star option thanks to its well-rounded set of buffs. Since 5-star weapons are tedious to obtain, Blackcliff Pole and Deathmatch are solid 4-star alternates that both grant impressive attack bonuses as well.
Best artifacts: Gladiator's Finale
Alternative: Viridescent Venerer
Xiao’s best artifacts depend on what you’re planning on using him for. If you’re going to rely on Xiao as a main DPS and use his physical attacks, Gladiator’s Finale makes a great set of 4 since it buffs Polearm users’ damage. If you’re planning on using Xiao for his Anemo abilities, try the Viridescent Venerer set, which provides versatile Anemo buffs. If you don’t have access to any 5-star artifacts, you can count on the Berserker set, which boosts CRIT Rate.
When choosing stat priorities on Xiao's artifacts, the following stats and substats are the ones to look out for to maximise his build:
- Circlet of Logos: CRITs or ATK
- Sands of Eon: ATK
- Goblet of Eonothem: Anemo DMG Bonus
- Substats: ATK and CRITs
Talent priority: Bane of All Evil (Elemental Burst)
Secondary: Whirlwind Thrust (Normal Attack)
When building Xiao, try to level his Elemental Burst up to around level 7 first. After prioritizing this, focus on leveling up his Normal Attack first and then finish leveling his Burst to achieve a strong sense of balance.
- Normal attack: Whirlwind Thrust
- Normal attack - Performs up to 6 consecutive spear strikes.
- Charged attack - Consumes a certain amount of stamina to perform an upward thrust.
- Plunging attack - Plunges from mid-air to strike the ground below, damaging opponents along the path and dealing AoE DMG upon impact. Xiao does not take DMG from performing plunging attacks.
- Elemental skill: Lemniscatic Wind Cycling - Xiao lunges foward, dealing Anemo DMG to opponents in his path. Can be used in mid-air.
- Elemental burst: Bane of All Evil - Xiao dons the Yaksha Mask that set gods and demons trembling millenia ago. The mask greatly increases Xiao’s jumping ability, increases his attack AoE and attack DMG, and converts attack DMG into Anemo DMG, which cannot be overridden by any other elemental infusion. In this state, Xiao will continuously lose HP.
- Passive talent 1 - While under the effects of Bane of All Evil, all DMG dealt by Xiao increases by 5%. DMG increases by a further 5% every 3s the ability persists. The maximum DMG Bonus is 25%
- Passive talent 2 - Using Lemniscatic Wind Cycling increases the DMG of subsequent uses by 15%. This effect lasts for 7s, and has a maximum of 3 stacks. Gaining a new stack refreshes the effect’s duration.
- Passive talent 3 - Decreases climbing Stamina consumption for your own party members by 20%. Not stackable with Passive Talents that provide the exact same effects.
- Main DPS: Xiao
- Sub DPS: Ningguang
- Support: Sucrose
- Healer/Shield: Noelle
5* alternative: Jean replacing Sucrose on support
As an Anemo main DPS, Xiao is practically unique in Genshin Impact, since characters with this element are usually more at home in support roles. Therefore, this is one of the few party compositions where you can suitably pair up multiple Anemo characters, allowing you to try out the Impetuous Winds elemental resonance for reduced stamina consumption across the party. Jean is a solid choice if you have her since she's also a capable healer, but since she's a 5* (albeit a relatively easy-to-obtain one) it's worth having an alternative plan in place. Sucrose is, by our reckoning, the best 4* Anemo character in the game, and while she lacks Jean's healing abilities, she'll still be able to keep Xiao's energy up with her Anemo powers and perform crowd control.
Despite the fact that Geo and Anemo are among the few Genshin Impact elements which don't react together at all, the high place currently occupied by Geo in the game's meta means that a 2 Anemo/2 Geo team still emerges as a top choice, at least when you have Xiao. When choosing a shields and/or healing specialist, Noelle is as desirable as ever thanks to how easy it is to obtain her, the power of her shields, and the fact that from Constellation 1 onwards she's an extremely reliable healer too.
It can be hard to find a good sub-DPS for an Anemo DPS like Xiao, but luckily Ningguang ticks all the boxes for this particular composition: a flexible Geo DPS/sub-DPS character at 4* rarity, who's even a promoted character on Xiao's current banner to boot. Furthermore, pairing her up on this team with Noelle triggers a resonance that significantly improves the team's defences.
How to level up Xiao in Genshin Impact
To fully ascend Xiao, you’ll need the following materials:
|1||1 Vayuda Turquoise Sliver, 3 Qingxins, 3 Slime Condensates, and 20,000 Mora|
|2||3 Vayuda Turquoise Fragments, 2 Juvenile Jades, 10 Qingxins, 15 Slime Condensates, and 40,000 Mora|
|3||6 Vayuda Turquoise Fragments, 4 Juvenile Jades, 20 Qingxins, 12 Slime Secretions, and 60,000 Mora|
|4||3 Vayuda Turquoise Chunks, 8 Juvenile Jades, 30 Qingxins, 18 Slime Secretions, and 80,000 Mora|
|5||6 Vayuda Turquoise Chunks, 12 Juvenile Jades, 45 Qingxins, 12 Slime Concentrates, and 100,000 Mora|
|6||6 Vayuda Turquoise Gemstones, 20 Juvenile Jades, 60 Qingxins, 24 Slime Concentrates, and 120,000 Mora|
|Total||1 Vayuda Turquoise Sliver, 9 Vayuda Turquoise Fragments, 9 Vayuda Turquoise Chunks, 6 Vayuda Turquoise Gemstones, 46 Juvenile Jades, 168 Qingxins, 18 Slime Condensate, 30 Slime Secretions, 36 Slime Concentrates, and 420,000 Mora|
You’ll likely have to make more than a few trips to the Anemo Hypostasis to obtain Vayuda Turquoise. Additionally, Juvenile Jade can be obtained from Primo Geovishaps and Qingxins can be found growing on Liyue’s highest peaks.
Best Xiao build: Talents
To fully level up Xiao’s talents, you’ll need 9 Teachings of Prosperity, 63 Guides to Prosperity, 114 Philosophies of Prosperity, 18 Slime Condensates, 66 Slime Secretions, 93 Slime Concentrates, 18 Shadow of the Warriors, and 3 Crowns of Insight. Breaking that down per skill, you'll need the following to level up any of his talents all the way:
|Talent Level (+ required Ascension Level)||Materials|
|2 (2)||6 Slime Condensates, 3 Teachings of Prosperity, and 12,500 Mora|
|3 (3)||3 Slime Secretions, 2 Guides to Prosperity, and 17,500 Mora|
|4 (3)||4 Slime Secretions, 4 Guides to Prosperity, and 25,000 Mora|
|5 (4)||6 Slime Secretions, 6 Guides to Prosperity, and 30,000 Mora|
|6 (4)||9 Slime Secretions, 9 Guides to Prosperity, and 37,000 Mora|
|7 (5)||4 Slime Concentrates, 4 Philosophies of Prosperity, 1 Shadow of the Warrior, and 120,000 Mora|
|8 (5)||6 Slime Concentrates, 6 Philosophies of Prosperity, 1 Shadow of the Warrior, and 260,000 Mora|
|9 (6)||9 Slime Concentrates, 12 Philosophies of Prosperity, 2 Shadows of the Warrior, and 450,000 Mora|
|10 (6)||12 Slime Concentrates, 16 Philosophies of Prosperity, 2 Shadows of the Warrior, 1 Crown of Insight, and 700,000 Mora|
|Total||6 Slime Condensates, 22 Slime Secretions, 31 Slime Concentrates, 3 Teachings of Prosperity, 21 Guides to Prosperity, 38 Philosophies of Prosperity, 6 Shadows of the Warrior, 1 Crown of Insight, and 1,652,500 Mora|
Slimes can be obtained from defeated Slime enemies throughout Teyvat, while Prosperity books can be picked up at the Taishan Mansion domain (Tuesday/Friday/Sunday only). Shadows of the Warrior can only be obtained by taking on Tartaglia in his Childe boss form at Challenge Level 70+. Finally, Crowns of Insight can be obtained through limited-time events or by making offerings to the Frostbearing Tree and the Sacred Sakura.
Unfortunately for Xiao mains, Xiao’s Constellations aren’t the best. If you’re planning on using Xiao as a main DPS and you’ve got a ton of extra money to throw at Mihoyo, Constellation 6 Xiao’s Anemo abilities are greatly improved. However, wishing for his other Constellations isn’t really recommended. Go big or go home! Here’s what all of Xiao’s constellations have to offer:
- Dissolution Eon: Destroyer of Worlds: Constellation Lv. 1 - Increases Lemniscatic Wind Cycling's charges by 1.
- Annihilation Eon: Blossom of Kaleidos: Constellation Lv. 2 - When in the party and not on the field, Xiao's Energy Recharge is increased by 25%.
- Conqueror of Evil: Wrath Deity: Constellation Lv. 3 - Increases the Level of Lemniscatic Wind Cycling by 3. Maximum upgrade level is 15.
- Transcension: Extinction of Suffering: Constellation Lv. 4 - When Xiao's HP falls below 50%, he gains a 100% DEF Bonus.
- Evolution Eon: Origin of Ignorance: Constellation Lv. 5 - Increases the Level of Bane of All Evil by 3. Maximum upgrade level is 15.
- Conqueror of Evil: Guardian Yaksha: Constellation Lv. 6 - While under the effects of Bane of All Evil, hitting at least 2 opponents with Xiao's Plunging Attack will immediately grant him 1 charge of Lemniscatic Wind Cycling, and for the next 1s, he may use Lemniscatic Wind Cycling while ignoring its CD.
How to get Xiao in Genshin Impact
Xiao is an event-exclusive character, so he’s only available at certain times. Surprisingly, after an 11-month-long absence from the gacha following his debut, Xiao had three very regularly-timed reruns in January and June of 2022, and January of 2023. He is now once again unavailable, and it remains to be seen if the pattern will continue for his next rerun.
That’s all the info we’ve got on Xiao! Why not check out our character tier list to see which other characters are good to wish for?