Blood Warrior is a Hearthstone deck archetype that's been explored in the past but has only now really come to the fore with the release of Knights of the Frozen Throne. The core idea of this deck is that you race to cycle through your cards in a pretty rapid fashion, and until you have free Arcane Giants. With a small remaining deck, you can then use Dead Man's Hand to keep shuffling in both this spell card and the Giants to create a never-ending stream of damage.
In our guide to playing this exciting new kind of deck, we're making use of Dog's version which he used to reach Legend with very quickly, and has since been refined a little. Alongside the deck list itself we've also got a teardown of how all of the cards in this deck interact with one another. It's really important that you understand how all of these work, as they're key to achieving a consistent win-rate.
If this deck takes off in popularity we'll expand on every section in greater depth, but for now we hope you find it a fun deck to get going with in the Frozen Throne meta. In the meantime, do sign up and share your own thoughts about playing it in the comments.
Frozen Throne Update #2 - Very little has changed for the Blood Warrior deck over the last few weeks, although we note that most decks are swapping out Alley Armorsmith for the regular Armorsmith. We've reflected that change in our recommended deck list, and have updated all other aspects of our Blood Warrior guide to match this revision.
Our Frozen Throne: Best Decks and Guides hub contains everything you need to get stuck into the new meta!
Blood Warrior deck list and strategy
Here's Dog's version of Blood Warriors which was used to reach Legend very early on in the Frozen Throne meta. It's since been tweaked a little, and we are now highlighting the latest version of the deck.
|2 x Blood To Ichor||1 x Wild Pyromancer|
|2 x Whirlwind||2 x Acolyte of Pain|
|2 x Armorsmith||2 x Arcane Giant|
|2 x Battle Rage|
|2 x Commanding Shout|
|2 x Dead Man's Hand|
|2 x Execute|
|1 x Fiery War Axe|
|1 x Public Defender|
|2 x Slam|
|2 x Sleep with the Fishes|
|1 x Blood Warriors|
|2 x Shield Block|
|1 x Blood Razor|
|1 x Scourgelord Garrosh|
Select and copy the long ID string below, then create a deck in Hearthstone to export this deck into your game.
Deck Import ID: AAECAQcGkQOsuwL2B8CvAszNAp/TAgyGsAL8BNQEkAOCCI7OApEGsgjGwwL7DP8HgrQCAA==
Refer to the combo section of this article for tips on how to actually play this kind of deck. If this deck proves popular - and once the meta has settled down - we'll revisit this part of our guide with comprehensive match-up advice to help you beat specific opponents.
More great Warrior guides:
- 1. Best Budget Decks - Hearthstone: Best Budget Decks for Ashes of Outland
- 2. Tier List - Hearthstone deck tier list (Ashes of Outland)
- 3. Bomb Warrior - Bomb Warrior deck list guide (Ashes of Outland)
- 4. Galakrond Tempo Warrior - Galakrond Tempo Warrior deck list guide (Ashes of Outland)
- 5. Face Highlander Warrior - Face Highlander Warrior deck list guide (Ashes of Outland)
- 6. Pirate Galakrond Warrior - Pirate Galakrond Warrior deck list guide (Ashes of Outland)
- 7. Highlander Dragon Warrior - Highlander Dragon Warrior deck list guide (Ashes of Outland)
Blood Warrior Mulligan guide
Against aggressive opponents, prioritise cards which afford rapid and efficient removal such as our old friend Fiery War Axe, Blood To Ichor, Whirlwind and also Sleep with the Fishes.
In control match-ups it's more important that you draw into your key cards, so look for cards such as Slam and Acolyte of Pain - value your axe too though, as there's bound to be something there that you need to get rid of.
Blood Warrior tips, combos and synergies
Here's how all of the cards in this deck actually combo together. Let us know your own tips for playing this deck in the comments!
- If Blood To Ichor's target survives the encounter, you'll receive a 2 / 2 minion on the board.
- Mass damage spells like Whirlwind are a great way of increasing the number of cards you can draw from Battle Rage.
- Commanding Shout can be used to ensure that no matter how much AOE is cast, your minions are guaranteed to survive. This also plays in with Battle Rage as outlined above.
- An enemy minion only needs to take the smallest amount of damage to be brought into range of Execute. The following spells help you quickly achieve this: Blood To Ichor, Whirlwind and Slam. The Battlecry and Deathrattle of Blood Razor also applies here, of course.
- Any damaged minions on the board will receive another three points of damage when Sleep with the Fishes is cast.
- If the targeted minion survives your use of Slam, you'll draw a card into your hand.
- If you can damage all of your own minions with your various spells, you'll be able to add a copy of each one to your hand with Blood Warriors.
- You can take all of the minor damage spells we've discussed in this section and combine them with Acolyte of Pain for some very useful card draw.
- Your Arcane Giants cost one less for each spell you've cast during the game.
- Scourgelord Garrosh is your new Death Knight card, and grants you a 4 / 3 weapon that also damages the minions adjacent to your target. You also get a new hero power which does one point of damage to all minions.