Not even an apple a day can prevent mutations in Fallout 76. While the mutations here are hyper-unrealistic, you'll still need to take precautions to prevent them appearing or reverse any mutation you may contract. Some mutations are worth keeping though.
Fallout 76 mutations guide
To that end, I've prepared this Fallout 76 mutations guide that will go over the best and worst mutations, and how to get rid of them if you wish.
Those looking for a beginner's guide to get started with Fallout 76 should have a look at our Fallout 76 guide.
- What are mutations in Fallout 76?
- How long does a mutation last?
- Where to find mutation serums
- Fallout 76 mutations and their effects
- Fallout 76 guide series
Mutations are effects that are inflicted on a player when certain conditions are met. They can introduce debilitating effects that the player must manage until they find a cure, but they also introduce some positive effects. For example, while the Adrenal Reaction reduces your maximum HP by 50, it gives you a bonus to weapon damage while at low HP.
Avoiding mutations may be ideal for some people that want to keep their human as pure as possible, but for those who wish to alter their DNA, there are certain ways that you can expedite that process. These include:
- Standing close to any hazardous waste.
- Interacting with any of the petrified corpses.
- Eating unpurified food or drinking water.
- Swimming or standing in pools of water.
- Breathing in noxious gasses.
- Being attacked by toxic enemies or Feral Ghouls.
Mutations are almost permanent once you obtain them, with the only way to remove them entirely being to chug some Radaways. You can of course just expose yourself to more radiation to change your current mutation, however this just replaces one with another. Dying won't remove your mutations, so if you have any mutations that you were hoping to keep, an untimely death won't be a worry.
There is a perk however that allows you to keep your mutations. Starched Genes is unlocked at level 1 in Luck and when upgraded to its second rank, it will ensure that you never mutate from rads and Radaway will never cure mutations. If you wish to have mutations in your build and want to ensure you never lose them, grab this perk and upgrade it.
Sometimes, you'll purposely want to have a certain mutation or suppress the negative effects of your current mutation. To do this, you'll need to obtain serums, which are only able to be crafted with the use of serum recipes.
All of the serum recipes are found in The Whitespring Bunker and are sold by the "MODUS" science terminal in the science wing. They do cost a lot of caps though, 24,000 per recipe to be exact.
Now you know how about how to obtain mutations in Fallout 76, here is a table with all the mutations, as well as any positive or negative effects.
|Mutation||Positive effects||Negative effects|
|Adrenal Reaction||Increased weapon damage and quick health regeneration at low HP.||Maximum HP -50|
|Bird Bones||+4 Intelligence. Falling from heights is more gradual.||-4 Strength.|
|Carnivore||Meat provides double the benefits and no diseases.||Cannot eat vegetables.|
|Chameleon||While unarmoured and standing still; gain invisibility.||N/A|
|Eagle Eyes||Critical damage +25%. +4 Perception.||-4 Strength.|
|Egg Head||+6 Intelligence.||-3 Strength. -3 Endurance.|
|Electrically Charged||Chance to shock melee attackers upon being hit.||Small amount of damage is inflicted to the player.|
|Empath||-25% damage taken by teammates.||+33% damage taken by player.|
|Grounded||100 Energy Resistence.||-20% Energy damage.|
|Healing Factor||Health regeneration +300%.||Chem effects -55%.|
|Herbivore||Vegetables provide double the benefits and no diseases.||Cannot eat meat.|
|Herd Mentality||+2 to all SPECIAL stats when grouped.||-2 to all SPECIAL stats when solo.|
|Marsupial||Carry weight +20 Improved jump height.||-4 Intelligence.|
|Plague Walker||Poison aura scaling with your diseases (up to a ceiling of 4).||Only active when diseased.|
|Scaly Skin||+50 damage and energy resistance.||-50 AP.|
|Speed Demon||+20 movement speed. Faster reload speed.||Hunger and thirst rates increased while moving.|
|Talons||Punching attacks deal 25% more damage and Bleed damage for 5 seconds.||-4 Agility|
|Twisted Muscles||+25% melee damage. Better chance to cripple enemy limbs.||-50% gun accuracy.|
|Unstable Isotope||Chance to irradiate melee attackers with a small explosion when struck.||Inflicts a small amount of damage to yourself. Some enemies are immune to the radiation effect.|
That is everything about Fallout 76 mutations. We hope you'll check back soon as there's the many quests that the game has throughout the ruined world of Appalachia, what each perk card does, and what you need to craft certain weapons. But for now, do check out the rest of our guides below:
- Fallout 76 guide - Tips and tricks for getting started with Fallout 76.
- Fallout 76 server status - For all the updates regarding when Fallout 76 is online or offline, head here.
- Fallout 76 Bobbleheads - They're no longer permanent. Find out more about them here.
- Fallout 76 Magazines - These are also no longer permanent. Locate them here.
- Fallout 76 challenges - Want to customise your character? Get more atoms by completing challenges.
- Fallout 76 diseases - New to Fallout 76 are diseases. Find out how to prevent or cure them.
- Fallout 76 perk cards - Perks are completely different here. Get the lowdown on how they work.
- Fallout 76 Power Armor locations - Want to look like a Brotherhood of Steel member? Grab a Power Armour frame.
- Fallout 76 event quests - A primer for all the event quests in Fallout 76.
- Fallout 76 daily quests - How to unlock the daily quests in Fallout 76.
- Fallout 76 enemies - A full list of enemies in Fallout 76 and details on variants.
- Fallout 76 nukes - Deliver the nuclear payload to your enemies and scavenge for rare materials.
- Fallout 76 lockpicking - Access safes and locked doors with ease.
- Fallout 76 terminal hacking - Obtain secrets and disable traps by hacking terminals.
- Fallout 76 character creation - Make your character as unique as possible.
- Fallout 76 CAMP - Build a CAMP that others will marvel at.
- Fallout 76 weapons - Make weapons and discover why you should pay attention to condition.
- Fallout 76 armour - Craft armour and learn about outfits.
- Fallout 76 treasure maps - Unearth valuable treasure left behind after the bombs fell.
- Fallout 76 multiplayer - Join up with others to complete quests.
Fallout 76 Wasteland guides