Network Hub

Rock, Paper, Berlin Interpretation

So following from this thread, it's time to get a little bit of friendly competition on in the area of Roguelikes and to make horrific gloating part of what is a justifiably a single-player genre.

Given that the initial idea of doing seeded runs didn't work out all that well for lack of games that actually use seeds, I'm happy to take input on how your favourite RL might be best played in a way that promotes discussion, arguments or both. I'll keep this post updated with any details needed. For games with seeds, it's almost impossible for me to test them in advance due to lack of gaming time - if you happen to come across a super-mega-awesome seed, then feel free to let me know and I'll make sure it's put up.

Also taking suggestions on what we do with the spoilers thing - maybe for now, white out spoilers of equipment etc. that people might not want to know about if they haven't already done a run. Honestly, I'm not sure how best to do this due to lack of spoiler tags, so if anyone has any ideas.

So to get us started:

- Brogue 1.7.4 (Weekly Seed 2: 22/06/17 - 29/06/17): 1728220617
    - Brogue 1.7.4 (Weekly Seed 1: 14/06/17 - 22/06/17): 1234567890

Press Ctrl-n to input a seed before starting the game
    Last edited by alexjhh; 22-06-2017 at 05:29 PM.
    Social Science Talks Science Fiction: A podcast where social scientists, researchers, philosophers and theorists talk about the themes and works of science fiction. socialsciencetalks.wordpress.com
    Latest Episode: Neuromancer, by William Gibson

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Noted. Although I'll play a few 'normal' rounds first, to get some​ familiarity.

Network Hub
    I'll download and do a few runs first. Then try the seed, I fully expect my first weekly run to go terribly. Hopefully I'll improve as the weeks go by. Waiting out spoilers for what's in the seed makes sense but I intend to post character/level/floor reached normally at least. Can we make some kind of hall of fame? An ever expanding list of weekly winners?

For anyone that has it there are weekly challenges in Unexplored that I believe have a leader board that hooks up to your steam friends. If you want to populate that with rubbish players to make yourself look good add me: Jersey SpuD

Do any others have integrated challenges and leader boards? I heard that dungeonmans will but is not free.

Network Hub
    Maybe I should put together a spreadsheet at some point on Google Docs or similar? I'll give it some thought. I also need a lot of practice; I haven't played Brogue in a while. Will update the OP, but the version I used for the seed was 1.7.4 (the most recent). Also, while Brogues graphics are fantastic in programming terms, I find it quite hard to parse; if anyone else has the same problem, I highly recommend the tileset by Oryx.

I'm away from home at the moment, but will add you for Unexplored when I get home after the weekend.
    Social Science Talks Science Fiction: A podcast where social scientists, researchers, philosophers and theorists talk about the themes and works of science fiction. socialsciencetalks.wordpress.com

Trying to get used to Brogue. It's rather fiddly and being unable to resize the window to fit my screen is frustrating. Maybe I should try online play.

edit - getting the hang of it now. Will play a few more games before trying the seed. Do we want to do one run and one run only, or allow multiple runs?
    Last edited by moth bones; 18-06-2017 at 07:43 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    There is no Brogue police, so go? If we feel purist, we can always stop reading after your first run.

I owe you all a (very short) writeup of my very short run at the seed dungeon. (I got to floor 4?). I'm still smarting from that.

I think I will try a second run later on, after that writeup, when the bruises have faded, and I have a few more random runs under my belt.

Network Hub
    I guess if we're going to keep track of how people are getting on, then it should be the first run that counts. That said, it'd be a pity to throw out good stories about bad deaths for the sake of that, and like Jurple said, noone is tracking you :)

After a couple of quick runs yesterday after being away from Brogue a long time, I can join the chorus of voices which says that noone will be ascending any time soon :)

Does anyone else play Caves of Qud? That also has seed challenges (Daily and weekly), with the downside that it also locks you to a pre-genned character.

Network Hub
    My first run ended abruptly on the third floor.. I do not know how or why. I will crack the obtuseness of this game... it definitely seems different to the many rogue likes I have played

Will do my first unexplored weekly tonight, my last 3 practice runs ending on floor 3/4 at its deepest

Network Hub
    Spoiler'd until tomorrow, as there is still some time for people to play:

Thought I was doing reasonably well - had a monkey helper, then a second (which got slaughtered really quickly). Fell down to floor 4 from the trap room on level 3, but survived and made my way back up with the key for the treasure room. Quite happy with myself, I then decided to make the most of floor 3 before dying to a jelly. I'd assumed that I could fight it into a corridor to prevent my being flanked, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

398 Gold total - anyone care to compete, given we all died on the same floor? :D

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Same gold loot here.

Died with 92 gold on D2, panic-trying potions as I was assailed by jackals. Hope that's not too much of a spoiler, as I can't work out how to hide text.

I've now played 17 games, reaching D 7/8 in 3, my best score being 2644. I'm not sure if I have the patience to persevere much more, as progress beyond the first few floors seems overly dependent on finding at least one decent item of equipment. The frustrating thing is that if you do get such an item, there are plenty of nifty things you can do.

Network Hub
    Wow, you've been playing pretty intensively. From what I understand, there is of course an element of that, but a lot of it is also knowing what you can do with the items you get, particularly from the first couple of treasure rooms. It's super improvisational in that sense, much more so than most roguelikes. If tome is the arpg roguelike, this is Indiana Jones.

It seems that while potions can wait, scrolls are something to be IDing early, because a portion of detect magic shows all items in inventory and on the current level as positive or negative. This is obviously super powerful given that you can throw potions, as well as narrowing the possibilities for finding a portion of life or strength.

I hope it won't stop you from joining us at least once a week for a go round, it's fun to have people to compare with 8)

New seed, as well as a results spreadsheet, will be up later today.

Network Hub
    I started a weekly run on unexplored last night. I definitely feel like I'm progressing as a player.

will try the new Brogue seed when it is up. Looking forward to dying horribly and will try and keep track a bit better this time.

Also will be looking to pick up some more roguelikes in the steam sale!

Network Hub
    New seed up, this time using the original approach of using the date and time :)

Added you on Steam, Spud - as theruminati

Lesser Hivemind Node
    A writeup of my first weeks' run, as promised.

- found a spear on l1 & equipped it immediately
    - freed a monkey on l2
    - my monkey beat up a stealing monkey on l3 while I tussled with a goblin conjurer
    - and we gained another monkey ally
    - i switched to a war axe
    - another goblin conjurer killed both my allies before I split him with that axe

- picking up a door key caused me to plummet to l4
    - I destroyed three toads, restoring myself with bloodwort as needed
    - I did a Benny Hill run after yet another monkey that had stolen my spear while I was tripping
    - and finally got nicked to shreds by a goblin conjurer's mass'o'spectral blades

Omniscience tells me I died with unused scrolls of enchanting, protect armor, and potions of strength & detect magic

Fairly eventful, in retrospect. I guess I should start using my scrolls earlier, And should run seeds with more scrolls of identify :)

Network Hub
    It sounds like we had a similar monkey-based experience up until the key; I made it back up to Level 3 to try and use it though :)

What was your score, Jurple? So I can add it to the spreadsheet (when I get round to doing it)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by alexjhh View Post
    It sounds like we had a similar monkey-based experience up until the key; I made it back up to Level 3 to try and use it though :)

What was your score, Jurple? So I can add it to the spreadsheet (when I get round to doing it)
    Er, 398 gold, I guess. Or is there some other score I should be tracking?

Week 2 seed - made D4 before very carelessly dying. Shredded by spectral blades after not taking care of a goblin conjurer properly, score 246.

I've done a bit better in a couple of other games, making D10. I'm warming to it actually.