Results 1 to 20 of 83
20-02-2015, 02:55 PM #1
[README] Mumble - VOIP for the RPS Community
Mumble is a free, open source, Voice Over IP (VOIP) client similar to TeamSpeak/Ventrilo/Roger Wilco and the like that allows you to talk to other players during games. It's stable and has an overlay that works well for most games - although 64bit is a bit patchy right now (NB: download version 1.30 on the beta tree for PlanetSide 2).
Port: 64738 (default, can leave blank)
The server is set up for 1024 players and is never turned off. It may go down briefly for upgrades, but these will be scheduled to take place in off-peak hours.
There are pre-existing channels for popular games in the RPS community, but if you want to play something else then you can use one of the Lobby channels, or create a temporary named channel once you are registered. Simply right click on the list and you'll be able to add one in, and you can even password it. Note, it will disappear if empty.
If the game is being regularly played, contact one of the administration team to see if a permanent channel can be made. If you are part of a regular group of players we can also discuss administration for your game area.
- Q: Do I have to use push to talk?
- A: Please use push to talk. Yes, it can be annoying having to press a button, but it’s better than having to listen to constant heavy breathing! Be considerate of other users!
- Q: I can't create a temporary channel? It's greyed out :(
- A: You need to register with the server (it takes seconds). Right click anywhere and select the Register option.
- Q: Someone is being annoying!
- A: Right click on them, select ‘local mute’. If they’re being truly offensive/abusive, find an admin or game team moderator.
- Q: How do I find an Admin?
- A: Game team moderators are listed in the channel for each game. Hover your mouse over the channel name. Any game team moderator will be able to help, even from a different game.
- Q: I want to hear one person but not the rest of this rabble!
- A: Select said person, right click, pick ‘priority speaker’. Useful for group leaders, but note that this is a local setting. You can't currently prioritise speakers for others, even when you're an admin!
- Q: It won't let me connect!
- A: You need to be running a version of Mumble that supports the Opus codec. Please update your software to the newest version. If that doesn't work, please PM me and we'll try and work it out.
- Q: There’s no room / too few subchannels for the game I want to play!
- A: All users should be able to make temporary channels by right clicking an existing channel (e.g. games) and then going to “Add”.
- Q: How do I create/use a passworded room?
- A: When creating a room there will be an option to specify a password. If a room is created with a password specified, you need to go to Server->Access Tokens, then add the password. You’ll then be able to access the room.
- Q: What is the ban appeals procedure?
- A: If you have been banned from Mumble only, please PM Cei on the RPS forums. These bans will typically be of a short duration of up to one month. If you have been banned from both the RPS forums and Mumble you will need to contact one of the moderation team in general and your case will be discussed. If you have been banned permanently from both RPS and Mumble you will need to contact the RPS Editor in Chief with any appeal, whose email can be found in the About section of the main site.
Installation & Connection Guide
If you have Mumble installed click this link. If not:
- Download Mumble.
- Run the Mumble installer executable.
- Follow the prompts. You do not need the server components installed.
- Create a certificate when asked (painless, works instead of passwords).
- Please SET UP PUSH TO TALK.
- Select the Server menu, and then Connect. This opens a list of servers.
- Hit the Add New... button in the bottom right
- The Label is whatever you want to call the server, I'd suggest "RPS".
- Address is mumble.rockpapershotgun.com
- Port is 64738, or leave it blank.
- Username is your choice (keep it clean!), but it will be permanent.
- Click OK.
- Attempt to connect to the server by double clicking on your new RPS entry. You'll always be able to find the server easily through your favourites (Server->Connect or Ctrl+o).
Last edited by Cei; 05-08-2015 at 05:49 PM.
20-02-2015, 02:58 PM #2
Admin TeamCei (SysAdmin, able to upgrade & restart server, full access)
NB: Game teams have global moderation rights, so can kick/ban/mute in any channel, not just their game area
Guild Wars 2Krathor, MonkeyMonster, Tweetiti, VlupiusConstruction & Sandbox (Minecraft/Starbound/Starmade/Space & Medieval Engineers)BasicPaulParadoxCalamityPen & Paper
LaldyPlanetSide 2RPS - Cei, Grumpy, CMaster, cephas, LaldyWorld of Warcraft
RTRS - boffinbootsDewi
Last edited by Cei; 04-05-2015 at 11:58 AM.
20-02-2015, 03:00 PM #3
20-02-2015, 06:21 PM #4
Who is running and paying for the server and how do we contribute?
20-02-2015, 06:34 PM #5
20-02-2015, 06:48 PM #6
21-02-2015, 12:01 AM #7
This is great news. I like Mumble and I'm glad a solution was found that took pressure off Nullkigan, the old admin. He did a great job and it must have been stressful when the old server went down.
21-02-2015, 12:55 AM #8
- Join Date
- Jan 2013
May I just say: woo! And thanks to Nulk for your years of amazing service providing VOIP to the RPS community.
22-02-2015, 10:39 AM #9
- Join Date
- Oct 2013
So in a Tribes Ascend game I was locally muted (rather than the individual with the problem mute me on his client) which then followed to another channel.
Boffinboots had admin within that channel and not just the PS2 one. Clearly there is an issue with the admin rights on the server. Also if your instant reaction is for one of your admins to abuse their power without a warning when lift music is played for 10 seconds whilst we were waiting for the sever to be started (which in turn made three of us leave your channel and your game because of the abuse) then it's not going to go well when trash talk starts or someone disagrees with someone else.
Please monitor admins and have a rule set for them also. Otherwise you may find others fail to use your mumble. Nulligan was alot more tolerant and understood humour and sarcasm.
22-02-2015, 10:51 AM #10
As the section you quoted says, the game team admins have global moderation (kick, ban, mute) abilities, and boffinboots selected the global mute rather than local or clientside. In this case, I'm going to talk to boffin and all future moderators to ensure that this doesn't happen again, and that they need to be careful to select the correct option. If this proves to be a long term problem, I'll simply remove the global moderation abilities and we'll have to resort to the simple fact of only myself and one or two others being able to moderate anything.
Personally, I didn't have a problem with the lift music. I didn't notice what happened because unfortunately I'm not running dual monitors so my Mumble client was hidden behind Tribes and so didn't see the messages until the next time I alt-tabbed out.
So, apologies that this happened, it'll be sorted.
22-02-2015, 11:01 AM #11
- Join Date
- Oct 2013
No worries, thank you very much for responding in here and finding me in Mumble (much appreciated!)
If it was an accident then no hard feelings.
22-02-2015, 12:45 PM #12
A mod here needs to edit this thread:
To simply be a link to this thread now.
The above thread is linked to from all over the place, including a fair few RPS front page posts."KING GEORGE IS A FROG
le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
22-02-2015, 04:00 PM #13
- Join Date
- Nov 2012
Last edited by Boffinboots; 22-02-2015 at 05:06 PM.
22-02-2015, 07:53 PM #14
22-02-2015, 08:14 PM #15
Will the GW2 community still be using the server we have now, or are we also migrating over to this one?
22-02-2015, 08:17 PM #16
22-02-2015, 08:45 PM #17
Aye, there is no reason to rush a move over from the regular GW2 one at the moment, but I feel that this new Mumble is better suited to our needs - especially as the folks who own the current GW2 don't still play the game.
23-02-2015, 07:56 PM #18
When I join the server it puts me in the channel I was last on, how do I make it so when I join it starts me on the first channel like when you first entered the server?
23-02-2015, 10:19 PM #19
That's server side and if changed impacts everybody if changed. I'll have a think about altering it, and doing so needs a restart so would be done at a quiet time.
23-02-2015, 11:05 PM #20