Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar

Why are People worried about Trum... is that a three-headed monkey behind you?!

Ok yeah I get it he is getting popular in the republican primeries by saying some crappy stuff. And he might win the leadership which will be interesting for the republicans.

But...

He will never win the general election!

The problem is, is that he has his fan base in those gun toting lets get rid of the mexicans people. Now there is a lot of these people in the primaries. But outside in the whole of America its a bit of a different picture. Even a lot of republicans don't believe this. Hell if the party was smart they would realise a lot of mexicans and latinos are quite republican.

So yeah even if he won the leadership i don't see in a million years he could beat Clinton in the proper race. His fan base is just not the whole of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Ok yeah I get it he is getting popular in the republican primeries by saying some crappy stuff. And he might win the leadership which will be interesting for the republicans.

But...

He will never win the general election!

The problem is, is that he has his fan base in those gun toting lets get rid of the mexicans people. Now there is a lot of these people in the primaries. But outside in the whole of America its a bit of a different picture. Even a lot of republicans don't believe this. Hell if the party was smart they would realise a lot of mexicans and latinos are quite republican.

So yeah even if he won the leadership i don't see in a million years he could beat Clinton in the proper race. His fan base is just not the whole of America.
    His fan base doesn't have to be the whole of America. It doesn't even have to be over half of all people who are allowed to vote - he just needs more than 50% of all people who will actually vote. The turnout of voters for the republican primaries has been much higher than during primaries for previous elections. If that trend continues during the actual elections, you might be looking at a large amount of voters for Trump that wouldn't have bothered to turn up otherwise. The remarkable thing about Trump is that his fanbase doesn't just consist of gun-toting rednecks - so far he is popular in wildy different social circles.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Throatwobbler Mangrove

Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.

^ Yeah, this. Add to this that a large number of folk on the left don't actually like Hillary Clinton. Some of them will hold their nose and vote for her anyway in order to stave off the "giant orange robot from the planet Zanthor" [credit to Salon's Andrew O'Hehir], others won't. I don't think I would, even knowing the alternative.

In any case, the election of Trump as President would only be the final nail in the coffin for the notion of American democracy in particular, and a serious blow for representative democracy in general, as a system to which all nations should aspire as one that generates the best outcomes. So, nothing too serious then.
    Last edited by Lethe; 02-03-2016 at 08:40 AM.
    What though the field be lost? / All is not lost; th’ unconquerable will / And study of revenge, immortal hate / And courage never to submit or yield.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    weren't people saying something along these lines when it came to winning the nomination in the first place...? I think the last thing we need at this point is not taking him as a serious threat.
    I wrote a fantasy novel, called Lavender! Perhaps you'd like to read it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Well just so long as he doesn't get elected. As the US is one of my backup plans for when the UK leaving the EU goes totally fucking tits up and I get stuck with PM Boris Johnson.

I can't see him getting elected, but like serenegoose said, I didn't think he'd get the nomination. So yeah.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    weren't people saying something along these lines when it came to winning the nomination in the first place...? I think the last thing we need at this point is not taking him as a serious threat.
    Yeah, the goal posts keep moving for how far he'll never make it because he keeps making it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephro View Post
    Well just so long as he doesn't get elected. As the US is one of my backup plans for when the UK leaving the EU goes totally fucking tits up and I get stuck with PM Boris Johnson.

I can't see him getting elected, but like serenegoose said, I didn't think he'd get the nomination. So yeah.
    Boris Johnson is how I imagine Trump would be if he was British.

@Xercies - his supports are not just Cletus from The Simpsons. They're him and they're people who are very rich and they're people who might think like him but would never say. And they're people who hate the left, who think Clinton is worse than he is.

Here's some of the donation amounts to Trumps campaign. Here's a map of locations where Trump got more donations than any other candidate.

Why am I worried as an Irish person living in Ireland? Because America is an important country on a global scale and this guy is a racist, bad tempered man child who shouldn't be anywhere near this close to being the leader of such a country.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

I'd aim further north and try Canada as a backup plan to be honest.

Trump may be no Hitler but you can still draw some remarkable parallels between the two. Hitler was grossly underestimated by the conservatives. Sure, he was a bit of a lunatic with outrageous but he had little going for himself besides from being a charismatic speaker. They thought him a convenient puppet, even if they hated his guts. Eventually Hitler was made chancellor after lots of infighting and scheming on the conservative side. In the end, Hitler abolished the republic and much worse - doing precisely what he said he would do if he got into office.
    Of course, Germany of the 1930s is not the USA of the 2010s but I guess the takeaway is that even though we're all tired of politicians not doing what they promised, be careful what you wish for because the opposite might be much worse.
    Immersive Sims on Steam WIP

Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

Don’t you feel the same way? When I cannot see myself, even though I touch myself, I wonder if I really exist.

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    I'd aim further north and try Canada as a backup plan to be honest.
    Yeah but if England leaves the EU the places I'd be straight away eligible to move to without any faff are the USA or if Scotland becomes independent and stays in the EU, anywhere in the EU. Canada would be tricky without lining up a job before hand. So I think I'd probably try hiding out in Belgium first, as I can just sit around drinking trappist beer waiting for the apocalypse to come.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    I'm not so much worried about Trump, I'm more amazed that what he says and does doesn't seem to deter people from voting for him, although I could say this about several of the republican candidates. Pandering to racists, xenophobia, conspiracy theories, and so on.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    ... why compare the US election with Hitler's? People keep saying that Hitler was elected, which was grossly incorrect. He had won no Presidential election. His position of Fuhrer was outright illegal.

Of course he might have won Presidential election after the death of Hindenburg, but reality is Hitler had never given it a try so, the rest is history.

It is really worrying to why in the last two US Presidential election, there had been such clowns running though. Something must be really wrong with the USA's society.

Wouldn't be my first choice. Or second or third choice for that matter. Not even sure it'd make the Top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Why am I worried as an Irish person living in Ireland? Because America is an important country on a global scale and this guy is a racist, bad tempered man child who shouldn't be anywhere near this close to being the leader of such a country.
    I'd be less worried about Trump than about the conditions that gave rise to him.
    Last edited by Lethe; 02-03-2016 at 12:18 PM.
    What though the field be lost? / All is not lost; th’ unconquerable will / And study of revenge, immortal hate / And courage never to submit or yield.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    Wouldn't be my first choice. Or second or third choice for that matter. Not even sure it'd make the Top 10.

I'd be less worried about Trump than about the conditions that gave rise to him.
    Eh I have family there and can easily get a green card. Also I can speak English. It's a fairly nice place from experience, well in places.

Most countries are kind of shit when you stop and think about them. Though Dumpf being president is outright terrifying.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    The upcoming US Presidential inauguration speech by Donald Trump:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus icupnimpn2's Avatar
    I'm in a uniformed service and the President is my Commander in Chief. The best reference I have to Trump's management style is the Apprentice, and I've wildly disagreed with his decisions there. I've found him erratic, impatient, unfair, biased, rude, and prone to snap judgments.

If he can so thoroughly disappoint me when handling extraordinarily trivial matters then it is hard for me to stomach the notion of him in charge of my country and being my boss. It is a situation that I've never wanted to find myself in.

Maybe it is all bluster and show. Maybe Trump as an actual boss and not a TV boss does things entirely differently. In that case I don't feel like I can trust his public persona at all and I don't know how the people could be sure of who they are electing. I would prefer a candidate who I can reasonably assume acts similarly publicly and privately.

That doesn't mean I want Hillary in office, either. But I do feel I could trust her to be Hillary. She has an established persona, views, and track record that make her behavior more predictable. I don't agree with all of her views, but I don't expect her to be radical and dangerous, whereas I have no real idea what Trump will do and the possibilities frighten me.

It is quite possible I will not vote in this election. I just don't know.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    In any case, the election of Trump as President would only be the final nail in the coffin for the notion of American democracy in particular, and a serious blow for representative democracy in general, as a system to which all nations should aspire as one that generates the best outcomes.
    Uh what...more people vote for Trump and that is a failure in representative democracy...you do understand what your saying right? If more people vote for him he legitamally has a platform...you may not like that platform but the people want that platform so it seems silly. Would we really want a dictatorship just because in some elections the guy who is horrible gets through?

[quote]The turnout of voters for the republican primaries has been much higher than during primaries for previous elections. If that trend continues during the actual elections, you might be looking at a large amount of voters for Trump that wouldn't have bothered to turn up otherwise. The remarkable thing about Trump is that his fanbase doesn't just consist of gun-toting rednecks - so far he is popular in wildy different social circles[/quote]

The problem with the primaries is that its held in places where the views of the republicans are a certain thing(same with democrats as well) but what the actual oting public as a whole wants is something kind of different, more centre of the road if you will. Previous candidates have had to do a little dance towards thos primaries and then done another dance to get elected.

The problem is, because Trump has sold himself as an outsider breaking all the rules to get a good vote for those primary people. He can't do the dance back because he will shoot his whole campaign premise. But I see many Americans going...uh no to him because they are sane people...
    People keep saying that Hitler was elected, which was grossly incorrect. He had won no Presidential election
    Thank you, Hitler didn't get Elected at first...some German guy felt sorry for him and so gave him a prminant position to shut him up.

^ Yeah, this. Add to this that a large number of folk on the left don't actually like Hillary Clinton.
    Quote Originally Posted by icupnimpn2 View Post
    That doesn't mean I want Hillary in office, either.
    I don't really understand what it is that people don't like about Clinton. And when I ask people to explain, their answers are vague, which to me indicates that either their dislike is reflexive or they don't know much about her and are capable of coming around. She currently has about 20% unfavorability among Democrats, which is probably as high as that number will go. When Sanders exits the race, her unfavorables will probably drop to single digits among Democrats. On policy, she is very similar to President Obama. And even between Clinton and Sanders, there simply aren't huge differences in their policy agenda.

Yes and no. Yes, it's no secret that the United States has a very idiosyncratic political id. But a President Trump would have pretty broad authority over the CIA, FBI, State Department, Justice Department, Department of Defense, etc, all with minimal Congressional oversight. (Keep in mind that both legislative houses in the U.S. are currently controlled by Republicans.) America's id is a generational project that will or won't take care of itself, but as we saw in 2000-2008, an American President can unilaterally create enormous havok in a short amount of time.

Re: Hillary... I'm not really into the Bernie Sanders vs Hillary Clinton thing, but in response to Matt_W's post I feel like I should put this The Daily Banter piece here, which argues that "If You're Liberal and You Think Hillary Clinton Is Corrupt and Untrustworthy, You're Rewarding 25 Years of GOP Smears".

Thanks to John Oliver I've not actually seen the word Trump since Sunday.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Here's a pretty insightful column about how Trump isn't really scary, it's the amount of followers he has and their fervor that is what's most concerning.

Quote Originally Posted by the article
    And so the rise of authoritarianism as a force within American politics means we may now have a de facto three-party system: the Democrats, the GOP establishment, and the GOP authoritarians.
    I don't think the rest of the world needs to worry overmuch about Trump himself. If he gets the nomination he'll get crushed in the general. Please America?

If he doesn't get the nomination, he'll likely run independently and the presidency will go to either Clinton or Sanders. In my opinion this is the best outcome.

If he doesn't get the nomination and doesn't run independently, he has certainly given the Republicans a wake up call.Trump scares them more than he does anyone outside the party. With the way things are going with the Supreme Court nomination I think the Republicans have given all the ammo the Democrats will ever need to win the presidency this year.
    Last edited by Fumarole; 02-03-2016 at 07:30 PM.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR
    The Red Blades, a Battle Brothers AAR